The Bruce Arena Report

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TequilaJoal, Apr 27, 2009.

1. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a solid analysis. Beckham and Donovan want to leave and that's based totally on independent factors not in Bruce's control. He built a good team to perform this year while he still has them, and we have solid young players all across the backline. I have some confidence that as we lose older veterans Bruce will continue to bring in balanced slate of youth and experience and there's an awful lot of things he can do with the budget money we'll have if Donovan and Beckham leave.

So let's leave next year for next year, and enjoy the playoffs for a change.

2. primality

primality New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The Rose Bowl
    Let's see if not going after a replacement for Eskandarian or a second half left-side sub for Lewis hurts the team in the playoffs.

I think we can win with what we have, but there should be less lineup changes and more consistency heading into the playoffs. Hopefully the ultimate goal hasn't been achieved and the mark is incomplete for now.

3. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Worst to first-err-in the west at least . . .

Bruce you have redeemed yourself.

4. primality

primality New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The Rose Bowl
    Congrats to Arena for getting the Coach of the Year award. He also deserves a lot of credit for bringing in players to shore up the defense. The drafting of Gonzalez and De La Garza and the addition of Ricketts were great moves. The acquisitions of Berhalter and Dunivant helped keep things together. D-mids Miglioranzi and Kovalenko were OK, but overpriced for their contributions. Birchall may prove to be a quality defensive midfielder, but we needed to bring in more of an offensive spark in 09.

In 2010, Arena needs to shift the attention to the offense. Hopefully Arena continues to draft well and continues to use the international market. Attackers in midfield and at forward should be the focus. Hopefully Arena puts more emphasis on the first half of the season when Beckham is gone. A young replacement that can man the middle of the midfield and eventually back up Beckham should be sought. A youthful and speedy winger is another necessity. A couple of strikers that can finish would complete the acquisitions.

5. Napoli 10

Napoli 10 New Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 person likes this.
  6. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's the way I remember it. Young talent was traded away starting with Yallop and Gullit. Even still who was it that turned out well. Robbie Findley comes to mind. Anyone else? Is anyone arguing our midfield and defense is worse of now than it was two years ago, or even before wholesale trades were made? Bruce came in and corrected these errors and I'd say he greatly improved this team so much so that we're even better than we would have been if we stuck with Ty Harden.

7. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion

Kyle Veris - was big and with time would have been a great defender ala Gonzo

Nathan Sturgis - Showed signs of high football IQ

Findley - Starting to show his potential at RSL

8. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugo could have been useful.

I hate that we let Kyle Beckerman get away.

Neither of these was Arena's fault.

The picture!! Bruce!! Very scary dudes.

9. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had held on to Ugo and committed to developing Kyle Veris, we might not have drafted Gonzo or given him all the playing time he got, and almost certainly would not have traded up to get AJ. On the whole, that has worked out in our favor.

Of the ones who got away, the kid I thought had the most potential if he had been properly developed was Nathan Sturgis - his calmness on the ball was something special. But the fact that he has bounced around and not really come into his own maybe shows that my evaluations are not all that good!

10. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States