The Bruce Arena Report

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TequilaJoal, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Venturadoc

Venturadoc Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Ventura, CA
    My other concern for how Bruce has made his squad is that our young guns, although with great potential, wont be ready to step in and take over for our very geriatric team in the near future. I'm not talking about Omar and AJD. Our whole midfield is weak. We need replacement flank players, an attacking mid and stud defensive mid. It seems almost inconceivable, even with high draft picks for the next draft, that we can replace our veterans with college talent. It also seems we do not have the most marketable players to move within MLS as trades. BA and the Galaxy organization, IMO, don't seem to have a scouting system in place or are choosing not to invest in foreign talent. I'm really interested to see what happens in the summer window. I would also like to see Becks dropped so Bruce has the cap space and allocation money for the summer window to build the team for the future.

Anyways, this weekend is a must win for the G's and BA even this early in the season. Come on you G's and get a win.

2. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

You lost any credibility you had right there.

Two words: Ruud Gullit.

Remember how that worked out?

And I'm not a fan of Bruce but I find some similarities with him and Sigi before he got axed. What rang the bell was when someone, I think Dash, brought up LA is built to play for 1-0 games.

Because you should remember LA was performing the same way under Sigi. With 1-0 wins, 0-0 draws, and 0-1(2) losses.
    The team was lacking offensively and had no leader in the center midfield.
    Hell, Ricketts is looking like Hartman of 03'-04' (his best years).

I guess you should be careful what you wish for.

3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much what MBar said.

I do want to point out this stat:

2008 LA Galaxy Defense--
    First 5 games (4 h, 1 a) -- 11 goals allowed

2009 LA Galaxy Defense--
    First 5 games (3 h, 2 a) -- 7 goals allowed

I think you have to start with defense and build from there. It's a lot easier at mid-season to find a player who can spark your offense than to rebuild your defense. As an example -- look at San Jose last year. They built a solid defense and were losing a lot of games 0-1 in the first half of the season -- then they brought in one player (Huckerby) who sparked their offense and they made a late season push that almost got them in the playoffs.

So I think, in general terms, the progress has been made in the right direction - worrying more about keeping an organized, tight defense than pushing players up field and scoring a bunch of goals. I question some of Arena's midfield choices, and it's still early in the season, but it seems that the acquisitions of Ricketts, Berhalter and Dunivant along with the drafting of Gonzo and AJDLG (as well as getting Klein off the backline) have helped solidify the backline.

And I think a healthy Buddle/Donovan combination, with Jordan and Gordon in reserve, is about as good a forward line as you can get in MLS.

So, as most have already observed, the midfield is where we need improvement. We've got some British guy coming in the summer transfer window, but I guess the question is -- is he enough? He won't bring any pace, just passing and ball movement, so I still think we need to find someone who can move up and down the flank and take on the opposing defenders on the dribble....

4. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gullit had the Galaxy winning games and moving the ball nicely (until around the time that brandon macdonald went down with an injury), with an even worse squad that what we are fielding now (though it is debatable which squad is worse, other than the back line which is almost certainly better and the keeper, who is absolutely an improvement).

i don't think that anyone expects the Galaxy to be instant MLS-beaters or ever world-beaters, but i do think that everyone expected that the incoming manager would create a markedly better squad or at least one that was poised to grow and become better and cohesive over time. or at least a team that doesn't look quite bad, even in the context of MLS.

and by the way, so that we keep perspective on what is and is not possible in reshaping the team through personnel acquisition and disposition, take a look at the team that Seattle has assembled in about the same time as Arena has had control of the Galaxy. more important, take a look at how they play the ball and how organized they are. there are few players on that team that the Galaxy couldn't have gotten themselves during the same time period.

5. bbbmmmlll

bbbmmmlll Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually miss Ruud and prefer him to Arena. We played some beautiful soccer now and then with Ruud - some of the most exciting Galaxy games I've ever seen. Now we have Arena's ugly and very predictable style which to me seems like a huge step backwards. I cringed when Arena said we wouldn't be seeing a lot of high scoring games and we'd be winning with 1-0.

Given the Galaxy front office and other craziness I don't except the team to be a serious contender, but I would at least like to be entertained.

bml

6. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed some of those games very much early last year too - but let's be fair and note that Ruud had Buddle and Beckham and Arena has neither. Some of that is Arena's fault (that he doesn't have replacements for them) but some is out of his control.

Ruud could have coached this team, and fixed the defense, but for whatever reason he didn't seem to care enough to stick around and try.

7. clockworkoranje

clockworkoranje New Member

May 18, 2005
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, then lets be fair again... Ruud also had Abel and Cronin (and Lalas)... :eek:

8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    (Also added Omar and DLG.)

Not a big fan of brucie, but the additions are a hell of lot better than the subtractions.*

*the exception being his unbelievably bad decision to add Kirovski and release McDonald.

9. clockworkoranje

clockworkoranje New Member

May 18, 2005
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with your take about Kirvoski and McDonald, I am sure not willing to say Magee is a 'key' addition, and there is no mention of Miglioranzi, who Bruce continues to put out there and he has been terrible constantly coughing up the ball or making a useless pass...........

10. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I get your point. Maybe mine made no sense either. Anyway, Ruud could have been a good coach for us, I believe that. But he didn't give a crap and he was lazy. Some superstars can never grow up.

11. Vios

Vios Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a huge Bruce Arena fan, infact, if it wasn't for our ridiculous coaching carousel I'd probably want him gone. But that article seems a bit harsh. Did Bruce refuse an interview with Canales or something? It seems like she's out for revenge for something...

13. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not so sure about that. I don't see it as adding one for the other as they don't play the same position. I am not a big fan of Kirovski and I thought McDonald showed promise but I'd bet that Kirovski will do more for us this year than McDonald would have. When Donovan is out next month guys like Kirovski, Gordo, BJ, Magee are all going to have to step it up. Hell I would love to see Bowen given a shot with Donovan is gone as well. McDonald is not exactly tearing it up in SJ either. He can't get a sniff of PT and that teams sucks worse than us.

14. Venturadoc

Venturadoc Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Ventura, CA
    BA has alot to gain/lose with the Galaxy's success or failure. I thought the editorial by Canales was spot on. Alot has happened since 2002, and I'm one not all that happy with our tactics. He's brought in some good additions who are on the down side of their careers, which to me seems we will be in rebuilding mode for the foreseeable future. Who is our Etcheverry/Cienfuego's? It is easier to destroy than create in football. Our style bears that out. I said earlier in another post that I'd eat my words if we do well after this week. We'll see.....

15. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Andrea's article is just reflecting what some fans are already saying: Bruce is old school, Bruce is from the old guard, Bruce is recycling older veterans, Bruce isn't adapting to the present, can't teach a dog new tricks, etc. Again Andrea tells it like it is and I agree.

16. Vios

Vios Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I actually am a big Bruce Arena fan, but I still agree with most of what is said in the article.

It's a question - not a statement "Has Bruce Arena lost the magic?".

Arena knows as well as anyone it is the results and the standings that matter not his past performance and once you get into the playoffs none of the past results or standings matter - only who is holding the trophy in the final.

Arena has made decisions that he believes all add up to the end goal - getting into the playoffs every year and getting the team's hands on that trophy. So the poor start this year - is it all part of the short-term sacrifices leading to a successful end goal or has Arena lost the magic?

The answer lies in where the Galaxy sits at the end of the season.

Side notes:

Sticking with Jeff Agoos was NOT such a horrible gamble in 2002. Sure he was in decline and he got that own goal against Portugal, but his overall record up till 2002 was stellar for an American and he did pretty well in MLS after 2002. The Agoos factor is blown way out of proportion.

The run up to 2006 was definitely a frustrating time to be a US National fan. Starting after the World Cup in 2002, the preparations were slow and unimpressive, with only one friendly scheduled before 2003. Bruce Arena decided against participating in the Copa America citing that it would be too much of a burden on MLS, thus missing a chance to play against quality competition with young talent. Bruce Arena was excruciatingly slow in introducing the next generation of talent and by the time 2006 came around we had to settle with the debilitated John O'Brien, and the ineffective Josh Wolff. Eddie Pope was not in great form. Reyna was getting older and injury prone - who was developed to back him up?

I think it was a mistake to rehire Arena after 2002, because he was burnt out and incapable of hitting the ground running immediately after the 2002 World Cup (and start introducing new talent right away in late 2002 and continuously up to 2006).

17. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely disagree with you about the Agoos decision. I don't remember who we had as alternatives, but Agoos form was horrible for a year before the WC. His performance at the finals in 2002 was no surprise.

I tend to undervalue older veterans, but Bruce's tendency to stick with them past their effective date is worrying. It's his job to see when physical performance is declining too much, and he gives them a huge amount of chances.

I agree with you about keeping Bruce for 2 cycles. After 2002 it seemed like a good idea, and he seemed plenty flexible and willing to try younger players back then, Agoos notwithstanding. He did seem to lose it more and more as the cycle progressed. I hope Bradley is replaced after this cycle - my choice would be Sigi.

18. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bruce

I thought I would come up with my own Bruce Arena Taglines & statements:

1) Bruce Arena: Have bucket will travel.

2) The Galaxy: just try and find your way outta Bruce Arena's Black Hole.

3) Bruce never scored... either should his team.

4) Measuring the accuracy of a pass by whether a forward has enough time to get under it.

5) Bruce says: "Age over speed on the wings anyday"

6) Bruce loves the 6-3-1 formation - now called the snowman.

7) Bruce: "A tie is over-rated, not letting the other team win is much more important."

8) Bruce: "If you pray really hard during the game... A penalty or 1v1 with the goal keeper is out there at least once every 90 minutes."

9) Bruce said he didn't want Cristano Ronaldo cause he doesn't play defense.

10) Bruce "I like to think that a tie is like kissing the other guys sister. Great for me, sucks for him."

19. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Re: The Bruce

Genius!

20. Vios

Vios Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God - I can't believe that was almost 7 years ago (World Cup 2002). Honestly, I don't remember watching Agoos prior to the Word Cup. I do remember (vaguely) a poor play by David Regis ( he coughed up the ball on the left sideline like Franklin did recently on the right and it led to a goal) in a friendly which brought into question his inclusion to the final roster. I don't remember any Agoos gaffes (prior to the World Cup). He was slow, but seemed to play with an unforgiving pragmatism that is a hallmark of a good defender. (Think - grabbing the opponent - taking the Red Card a la Berhalter - positioning the body like Jaap Stam). Agoos is a player that relentlessly sought improvement and was a fierce competitor who was a part of 3 DC United Championships and 2 San Jose Championships. He was the MLS Best Defender of the Year in 2001.

So - I take your word for it - His form may have been terrible in 2001/2002 for the National Team (and maybe his body was starting to deteriorate) but his selection to the World Cup given what we had (in my opinion) was a good choice.

Other point - there must be a reason why very few countries elect to keep a manager/coach more than one cycle (I think it has to do with burn out and tunnel vision). Why on earth did US Soccer think rehiring Arena was the "safe" choice? It is the classic failure of conservative (marked by moderation or caution) thinking (not the political sense).

21. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Arena has tired defensive tactics and has signed ancient players for a quick fix. Do these old players have questionable pics of Bruce? Why is he not signing good young players to perform now and into the future?

I agree with the author regarding the lost "magic".

22. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When does the Summer transfer window open up? For me, it can't open up soon enough.

Since BA has already said that he will bring new players in, I wonder who will go.

Better NOT be Sesay or Bowen!!!

23. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    July 15th

Lots of players could go.

Kirovski, Valentin, Sanneh

24. Benz280

Benz280 Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Galaxias
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The Bruce

I agree,Bruce's soccer is boring.:(
    It doesn't look like a soccer game,it looks like a big 90 min exercise for 11 men.:p

25. Benz280

Benz280 Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Galaxias
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no player over 35 available right now,so we have to wait.......