The Bruce Arena Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by GiallorossiYank, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how Bruce is going to handle the strikers tomorrow.

I heard Robles and Walker Zimmerman are locks to start vs Jamaica.

3. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
  4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    In his first competitive match in his reboot with the US, Bruce Arena totally outmanaged the only other manager that has take a CONCACAF country to a World Cup quarterfinal in the last 30 years.

Footsatt, Berks, fknbuflobo and 7 others repped this.
  5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    feels good man. Feels good. Right man for the job at the right time. Looks like the undoing of damage is complete

LouisianaViking07/09 and Mr Martin repped this.
  6. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite yet. The US still has to take care of business down in Panama first.

Berks, Mahtzo1, juveeer and 3 others repped this.
  7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while true, and i know Panama away is a tough ask. Im confident. Bruce seems to be a man with a plan and does his homework and gets his guys ready. I think the guys know what they gotta do and I feel confident (fort the first time in years) that we can go and get a result away.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A+++++ from Bruce Arena last night

Lets go!!!

juveeer, LouisianaViking07/09 and TOAzer repped this.
  9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We beat them last cycle with our backups.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and they beat us at home in the Gold Cup with theirs. Respectfully, it aint gonna be a cakewalk. But like i said, i am certainly bullish going into this one. I think we are going to pin them back with our attack.

11. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but we completely erased the goal differential hole we were in.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how great does this game compare to the top matches he coached the NT years ago?

like top 10?

13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They did not beat us. We tied.

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    beat us in a shootout 3rd place game, but its not really a big deal. The point im trying to display is while it will be a tough tame, a bruce-led USMNT will handle it

15. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Soccer Now with a glowing review of Arena

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/arena-dempsey-pulisic-earn-highest-scores-for-u-s

[​IMG]

THE COACH
    Bruce Arena: The players were focused, motivated, and played with an aggression that startled and ultimately overwhelmed Honduras. Arena called this a must-win match, and then he won it in decisive fashion. Faced with a depleted squad, he made all of the right personnel decisions and got the best from his players. This is what good coaches do. He's a good coach, possibly even a great one. Rating: 10

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It was a home win against what FIFA rankings tell us is the 5th best team in CONCACAF.
    If we ignore the games that came before it under Klinsmann, it really isn't that special of a result. We should expect to beat Honduras handily at home.

A 1-0 win over Panama on the road will be an even better result.

Bruce Arena understands the player pool, the American player (motivations, skill sets, etc.), and our soccer infrastructure more than anybody. He's not going to try to fit square pegs into round holes.

We're going to be proud of our national team again. Its going to once again be a reflection of us and what our domestic game is about.

sXeWesley, Mahtzo1, Marko72 and 2 others repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Let's not forget this is a country that qualified for the last 2 World Cups. And not via play-offs

18. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I'm trying to rewatch this game and figure it out tactically. Honduras set up in that 5-4-1 or 5-3-2 or whatever and we're in a 4-4-2, but really kind of a 4-3-2-1 in that Pulisic and Dempsey played so close together.

Nagbe and Lletget/Bedoya played VERY wide and stayed back. And Villafaña and Cameron stayed home 100% of the time.

All this left TONS of space all around Michael Bradley. And I can't figure out why it worked. Bradley ran everywhere of course. But a good team would have pulled Omar up from the back more and exposed that space. Any thoughts on why Bruce had our diamond was so wide and why it somehow worked so well?

19. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that stuck out to me is how organized the center of the field was...I'm so excited for tomorrow. From GK to striker there was an understanding.

20. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How Bruce Arena’s tactics tore Honduras apart

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/20.../how-bruce-arenas-tactics-tore-honduras-apart

In summation, Bruce Arena created a game plan that put his players in a position to succeed. With players given simplified and clear roles in a game plan that put players in natural positions, the team was able to come together and work as a functioning unit. The well-organized game plan essentially created a domino-effect that completely undid the Hondurans. While this particularly performance will only happen once, the successes can be applied going. Under Arena, there’s a lot of hope for the future.

Mahtzo1 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I felt from the beginning that Arena was a good choice but I don't think we should over react either. Bottom line is that we accomplished what we should have accomplished and it was only one game. We are still in a hole but it is much shallower.

That being said, there are a few huge positives:
    1. we are no longer in the same hole we had dug ourselves. (this bears repeating!)
    2. We looked like we had a plan. It looked like the players knew what the plan was. The plan worked.
    3. We won in a way that showed confidence and should improve confidence in the team and in Arena. (Belief is more than half the battle)
    4. We won in a way (with many of our first choice players out) that proves that our depth is a huge strength.
    5. It is fun again to watch eh team.

22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "It is fun again to watch the team" is perhaps the biggest thing... I don't know if it's I'm getting up there in age but I started to be an only dutiful fan under Klinsmann. This team has been a part of my identity for 20+ years as a hardcore US soccer fan, but I found myself often disinterested. It seems like finally there is a spark of life in this team.

Mr Martin and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  23. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Q: "Is the US Team having more fun now?"

Arena: "Sure. We're bringing in a clown for lunch. He'll make balloons for the players."

Seriously, how can you not love this guy?

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Will he tear phone books?