The (blank) Annual "What Were Your Best Reads last year" Thread

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dr. Wankler, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ...I wish there was a way to just view your own posts in a thread.

And I'll post my winners in the next day or so. The front runner for Best In Show is...

[​IMG]

Credit goes to @Minnman for the recommendation.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #2 Dr. Wankler, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    yBest Fiction: Francine Prose, The Blue Angel
    Honorable Mention to The Damned United by David Pearce. Though some days I might flip flop this selection. Pearce is definitely the best soccer-related book I've read this year.​

Best Literary Biography: Joyce Johnson, The Voice is All, Jack Kerouac's life from Lowell to the publication of On The Road.
    Honorable Mention for Lisa Jarnot's life of the poet Robert Duncan, and for Anna Beer's life of John Milton.​

Travel: Things of The Hidden God: Journey to the Holy Mountain by Christopher Merrill (author of one of the first soccer books written by an American, The Grass of Another Country
    Honorable Mention to Hail Babylon by Andrei Codrecsu​

Memoir: Ardent Spirits by Reynolds Price

Non-Fiction History/Culture etc: Esalen: The American Religion of No Religion by Jeffrey Kripal. Also the runner-up for Book of the Year.
    Honorable mention to Eugene Taylor for Shadow Culture: Psychology and Spirituality in America

New discover: the Guido Brunetti mysteries of Donna Leon. Far and away the best American crime writer who sets her stories in Venice.

Best hard to classify book: Geoff Dyer's Zona: A Book About a Film About a Journey to a Room

Best volume of poetry: Harryette Mullen: Urban Tumbleweed: Notes from a Tanka Diary. Big fan of urban nature writing:

Walking along the green path with buds
    in my ears, too engrossed in the morning news
    to listen to the stillness of the garden.

Clicking through images downloaded
    from your camera. Those buskers haven't finished
    playing, and already they're in your archive.​
    [/INDENT]

3. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Best Fiction (re-read): Tess of the d'Urbervilles: A Pure Woman - Thomas Hardy

Best Fiction (1st read) : My Ántonia - Willa Cather

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Best of 2014

Best Fiction (re-read): Moby Dick or The Whale - Herman Melville

Best Fiction (1st read): Vanity Fair: A Novel without a Hero - William Makepeace Thackeray

5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of 2014 for me

Fiction: His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.
    Non Fiction: Cheating Lessons by James M. Lang (not quite finished). About course and classroom structural elements that tend to increase cheating by students and how to construct courses to eliminate them.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Best in show for me: Iain Sinclair's American Smoke: Journeys to The End of Light

Memoir: Life as a Literary Device by Vitaly Vitaliev.

History: Pedestrianism: When Watching People Walk was America's Favorite Sport by Matthew Algeo

Literary History/Biography: East Hill Farm: Seasons with Allen Ginsberg by Gordon Ball (Special mention to Philip Gura for Transcendentalism: a History and to Dana Greene for her biography of the poet Denise Levertov)

Walking: The Art of Wandering by Merlin Coverley

Fiction: The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano

And finally, best hard to define, multi genre work (poem/essay/memoir/criticism), not to mention book design: Gadsden by my friend and former colleague Rich Blevins...

[​IMG]

7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hmm.... I must be in a rut because 2014 was not a particularly memorable year for reading. A couple of unremarkable niche histories and waaaay too many crappy cozy mysteries that are still better than the one I've been writing. And this was the year I was going to try and read much Shakespeare.

I ended up reading probably 1500 pages about the Bard, most of it over the top, but the best, which I have already re-read was Bill Bryson's Shakespeare: The World as Stage. Highly recommended, both for his breathtaking brevity and great wit.

9780061673696_p0_v3_s114x166.JPG

As for fiction, I greatly enjoyed re-reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, though the conversations I was hoping to have with my son, who read it for class, never materialized.

Most interesting non-fiction: Michael Erad's Um...: Slips, Stumbles, and Verbal Blunders, and What They Mean

9781400095438_p0_v1_s114x166.jpg

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Bryson's a pretty reliable slump-breaker, IMO.