The Bitchin' Beer Thread [R] ( Vol.2 )

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by vilafria, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I had the IPA, stout, wheat, and the brown ale. I loved them all! It totally slipped my mind to ask what the cask beer was because whenever I ask at Goose Island here in Chicago they are out of it.

foodwise got the pretzel with the rasberry mustard dipping sauce and cheese sauce (you could tell the pretzel was the garden variety frozen kind but it totally hit the spot). Had the mac and cheese on sunday and it was phenomenal!

2. Ted Lyons

Ted Lyons Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found it last night at Applebee's. It's definitely too sweet and the more it warmed up to room temperature, the more unpalatable it became. If they could cut that back a bit, I think it would be a much better beer and it would still maintain some darker malt flavors with a noticeable amount of hops. I'm curious to find out if it's more balanced in the bottle.

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    pretty good stuff, recommend everyone give it a try

4. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    id have to look for that around here

Bought a keg of Spaten for a party saturday. Pretty good, tastes so much better/different than bottled. :)

5. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Hey people,
    Those who know me know that I once was a brewer, yes once. I am super busy with several other hobbies and obligations and have been in a state of constant movement so I have no homebase to brew...anyhow!

A good friend of mine has acquired close to 2-dozen corney kegs (these are your standard 5-gallon soda kegs) They need to be cleaned, and refurbished but he is looking to get rid of them at (i think) $15 a piece....if you want to get in on this deal send me a PM and I will forward you his contact info. He lives here in Baltimore. They're going fast.

Luck and love be all of yours...
    Pints.

6. Sebring98

Sebring98 Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Lansdale, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horrible news...

MillerCoors ends production of Zima
    Associated Press
    12:54 PM CDT, October 20, 2008
    MILWAUKEE - MillerCoors LLC says goodbye to Zima.

The joint venture between SABMiller's U.S. unit and Molson Coors Brewing Co. told distributors in a letter Monday that production of the malt liquor beverage was discontinued as of Oct. 10.

Chief Marketing Officer Andy England says the decision was due to weakness in the "malternative" segment and declining consumer interest.

He says distributors can get remaining Zima inventories most likely through December.

Distributors are being asked to put products from caffeinated alcoholic beverage Sparks on retail store shelves to make up for Zima's absence.

The brand came to the joint venture from Molson Coors, maker of Coors Light and Keystone.

7. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just picked up a case of Baltika bombers, half #6 half #9. Baltika is becoming one of the biggest brands in Europe but really hasn't made any noise here stateside. I special ordered it for my store, but even in Denver you can usually only find it in the Russian neighborhood.

8. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I was in Western Mass. and had some of this over the weekend...

[​IMG]

had their Oktoberfest beer as well, which I didn't like as much.

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This stuff is brewed not to far from me. They do a decent job. I like the old style jug growlers you can buy

10. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Where is it brewed ?

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I ate at the Friendly's in Enflied on sunday on the way to the airport. Not sure why we go there everytime we're out there. I think it has to do with going to Friendly's when I was a kid at the beach in Rhode Island.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Enfield, daughter use to work at that friendlies years ago. I grew up in RI..... little did you know you were 15 minutes from Beer heaven, also known as Table and Vine liquor store

14. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    should've hit that place up so the party after the wedding had somewhere to go after the bar closed!

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    next time you are back this way, you have to stop in. By far the best selection of beer I have ever seen, over 600 different brands of beer. I'd venture to say they have at least 250 imported labels. My wife will not go with me there because it takes me a good 45 minutes to pick out beer
    check this out,,,,,this is not all of them either, here are just the imports
    http://www.tableandvine.com/beer/I1/00/

16. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just went to Lithuania... the beer there was a huge surprise- and I love beer. It was great. The everyday Lithuania beers were among the best I have had.

17. Breakwood

Breakwood Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Picked up some Creemore Springs Premium Lager today from the LCBO. A local brewer that was bought by MolsonCoors a couple years back.

The premium lager has no preservatives, and is appearently shipped every week to the LCBO. It's a flavourful lager but still easy drinking. Rather affordable considering Ontario beer prices, I think I'm going to have to add this one to my list of favourites.

[​IMG]

18. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was in Atlanta for a conference over the weekend and had a dinner at a fine local establishment. Went to the bar and asked for the beer list and heard the usual domestic swill. I asked if they had any microbrews and the barkeep mentioned a Weyerbacher Merry Monks. A very nice domestic rendition of the Belgian triple. I highly recommend it.

[​IMG]

19. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tried the Sixpoint Hop Obama this weekend. Very, very good beer. They called it a red ale, but it had hoppiness somewhat akin to an IPA and was cloudy like a hefeweizen.

[​IMG]

20. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone else think that Shiner Bock is quite possibly the most overrated beer in America?

21. Ted Lyons

Ted Lyons Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's definitely up there.

I had this year's Abyss at the Deschutes pub in Portland last weekend It was definitely good but served too cold. I also had the fresh hop ales at Rogue and Bridgeport as well as a cask-conditioned Raven Mad at Bridgeport. The fresh hop ales were both very easy drinking.

22. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's awful crap, and the only people I've met that like it are typically jingoistic Texans.

23. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Founders' Backwoods Bastard

[​IMG]

This beer is simply amazing. It's over 10% alcohol, yet I had to fight not to guzzle it down.

24. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Blue Moon's winter ale is more subtly spiced than most. I like it.

25. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I had it last night --- well done.