The Big "Paucity of English Youth Talent" Debate!

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well said, Barry. If the rancid, hate filled troll doesn't want to read a link from The Mail he should simply ignore such links. But I think we can all agree he shouldn't be allowed to slur fellow members without being able to back it up. Any **** can do that.

Anyway back on topic again if I may, Bostock has said in the past (as he did in the interview) that he always felt he needed to come up with something special all the time. He was of course, over exposed too early in his career - before leaving school in fact. You'd have thought there would be decent coaches along the way who should have nurtured and guided him through his formative years to get him on the right track - to keep it sharp and simple until the right moment.

Still it's nice to see him doing well now, with his perseverance paying off.

2. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, I heard it. I recorded a lot of progs that might have covered it. The Monday Night Club on Radio 5 from 7pm is always a good choice. While a bit of "nudging" to get young players involved is a good thing, with the high stakes, managers are obviously going to be reluctant to play players who they think aren't as good as optional experienced players.

And the fact is, the onus is on the young players to make a strong case for a first team place. Too many players look like they haven't got the drive and determination, even if they have the skill.

3. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Maguire to Leicester for £12m rising to a possible £17m according to Sky & BBC.

4. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    The BBC think Roberts "is expected to leave City permanently ahead of the new season" rather than go somewhere on loan: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40292943

I think getting out of City is best for his future prospects, a squad role there was realistic for him but wasn't going to take him anywhere fast. With lots of clubs fighting for his signature I'm sure there's a much better situation for him out there as long as most of them don't get priced out.

As a slight aside, I do think it's a distasteful aspect of modern football comparable to third party ownership that rich clubs are starting to strategically buy-to-loan players with the obvious intention of flipping them for a profit later on as City have done with Mooy and Unal this summer and as may well have always been the main aim with Roberts. Mid tier good at development teams get priced out of the market for such players, then develop those players on loan anyway, then at the end of the day the rich get richer off the back of the work of the mid tier teams.

5. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I
    I hope Wenger buys him because he would fit in perfectly at Arsenal.

6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah, the downside of a permanent departure is that more foreign clubs will be priced out than English ones. Not that he has to go abroad to progress, but it's no bad thing if he has the option.

7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
  8. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Couldn't agree more with this and was something I was discussing with friends yesterday, could even look at someone like Bamford, and other players at Chelsea like Michael hector who will never play for them

9. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Huddersfield are in talks to sign Izzy Brown for £8m. An opportunity for Premier League experience which he would probably have had already if he'd stayed at West Brom, but there you go. Chelsea get their healthy profit out of the deal.

hussar repped this.
  10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Continuing the age group theme from the previous page these are alot of the potential options for the next U21 squad from the 96 and 97 age groups. I've left out some full backs because there are quite a few. I have probably missed out a few by error too. Still it highlights a difference in depth.

Red highlights the 96 born options and the rest are 97 born.

43 options and 10 from the 96 age group.

Goalkeepers: Angus Gunn (Manchester City), Freddie Woodman (Newcastle United), Dean Henderson (Manchester United), Luke Southwood (Reading)

Defenders: Ben Chilwell (Leicester), Jonjoe Kenny (Everton), Kyle Walker-Peters (Tottenham Hotspur), Mason Holgate (Everton), Demetri Mitchell (Manchester United), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Brendan Galloway (Everton), Fikayo Tomori (Chelsea), Jake Clarke-Salter (Chelsea), Dael Fry (Middlesbrough), Tosin Adarabioyo (Manchester City), Kyle Walker-Peters (Tottenham Hotspur), Axel Tuanzabe (Manchester United), Max Lowe (Derby County).

Midfielders: Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Kasey Palmer (Chelsea), Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur), Josh Onomah (Tottenham Hotspur), Lewis Cook (Bournemouth), Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Arsenal), Ovie Ejaria (Liverpool), Kieran Dowell (Everton), Harvey Barnes (Leicester City), David Brooks (Sheffield United), Dan Crowley (Arsenal), James Maddison (Norwich City), Charlie Colkett (Chelsea).

Forwards/Attackers: Demarai Gray (Leicester), Dominic Solanke (Liverpool), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Tammy Abraham (Chelsea), Izzy Brown (Chelsea), Patrick Roberts (Manchester City), Ademola Lookman (Everton), Sheyi Ojo (Liverpool), Josh Sims (Southampton), Harrison Chapman (Middlesbrough), Adam Armstrong (Newcastle United), Connor Mahoney (Blackburn Rovers).

11. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I've also written a list but was waiting for after the U21 Euros to post it. Might as well dump it here to compare and contrast differences in opinion. Mine includes a few of the stand out 98s:

GK: Gunn, T. Smith, Woodman, Henderson, Ramsdale

LB: Chilwell, Galloway, Henry, Dasilva

RB: Kenny, Walker-Peters, Alexander-Arnold

CB: Holgate, Gomez, Tomori, Fry, Clarke-Salter, Moore/Tuanzebe/Adarabioyo/Worrall, Oxford

CM: Loftus-Cheek, Winks, Onomah, Cook, Maitland-Niles, Ejaria, Davies, Field, Viera

AM/WF: Gray, Kent, Palmer, Roberts, Brown, Ojo, Lookman, Dowell, Edwards

FW: Abraham, Rashford, Solanke, Calvert-Lewin, Armstrong

10 96s, 8 98s, 27 97s. I think players who have been in League One like Barnes or Colkett have potential but need to show more at a higher level in club football to be considered as realistic options for the U21 squad, Crowley for whatever reason seems out of favour. I think Rashford should be considered for the U21s but probably won't.

Narrowing down those 40+ names to a potential first 23 man squad:

Gunn, Woodman, T. Smith;

Chilwell, Kenny, Walker-Peters, Holgate, Tomori, Gomez, Clark-Salter;

Loftus-Cheek, Winks, Onomah, Cook, Davies, Gray, Palmer, Roberts, Brown, Lookman;

Abraham, Solanke, Calvert-Lewin;

Tom Davies is the only 98 to make the cut for the squad because I assume the FA will want to reward/keep around stand outs from the U20 WC but Trent AA and Oxford could force their way in rather quickly. With that in mind Dowell may well sneak in ahead of Palmer. Gomez ahead of the other 97 CBs is fitness dependent.

12. andals

andals Member

Jun 13, 2015
    great work gents. Grealish should also still be eligible.

13. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Grealish is 95-born, the next cycle is open to 96s and younger.

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Barnes and Colkett are likely dependent on loan moves but I think they are worthy of a mention. Regarding the 96 born options I think we really need to try and give them their chance at least early on in the campaign. Some of them are dual eligible and will be playing regular matches so we shouldn't completely discount them. In theory Maddison and Colkett should both get chances at Championship level next season.

I like the majority of your 23 player squad but I hope we pick a 30 player squad for the first meet up because it will be worthwhile to look at more than those options.

hussar repped this.
  15. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Quite a lot of the 97 group are dual eligible as well, that's the nature of the beast. The FAI would probably love to have Maddison but all of Gray, Palmer, Roberts, Brown and Lookman are ahead of him on merit. Who would he replace in a strongest 23? Plus Ojo is another talented and sought after dual national who deserves to being the conversation and who hasn't made the, theoretical, cut.

It's a similar story with Colkett. He definitely could have a good season in the Championship with the right loan, but Loftus-Cheek could have a good season in the Premier League with the right loan, Davies is already a Premier League starter, Cook will be hoping to kick on from getting into the Bournmouth team at the end of the season, Winks will be back from injury and Onomah will hopefully be getting more minutes off the back of an excellent World Cup.

I wouldn't completely discount anyone but the long list cut off has to be somewhere, although I'm now thinking the cut off should definitely have been after Colkett. Listing 23 is an interesting exercise but I agree that in the real world they should pick bigger squads initially to keep more players involved.

16. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Have to say, whichever squad you go with it looks a stronger group than the current under-21s. Obviously there are only two players who are currently lost to the seniors (Alli, Rashford), but even if you take out another five you can make some very good elevens with plenty left over. The last two years have felt like a little bit of a slump in quality to me, certainly compared to the group before, so it would be good to see the standard come back up.

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Well this is sort of the point we shouldn't be fully focused solely on the strongest 23 yet until the season gets properly up and running. We could pick a 23 player squad after the first meet up but it's going to be important to involve the others at St George's.We are probably going to lose players to the seniors and injury too anyway.

Our first qualifier is arguably the toughest game away to Netherlands on 1st September and then we have a home game against Latvia on the 5th September. For arguments sake we take the 23 players that you selected to Holland. We could then either -

1.) Select a big squad (40 odd) send 23 to the qualifying game and keep the other players at St Georges for friendly games there on the 1st and the 5th. We usually lose options by the time the second qualifying game comes around anyway. So we would have a team at St George's already with options available to provide replacements.

2.) Alternatively just pick 30 or 31 player squads for the first few meet ups and release the 7 or 8 players back before the squad flies out or plays the first scheduled game.

It just seems like we will have to do something different during this campaign because the selection circumstances are so different.

18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    One possible hurdle with any plan to call up a bigger squad is that the clubs probably wouldn't be under any obligation to agree. They have to release players for the official squads in international game weeks, but I don't suppose that they're compelled to release extra players for training camps.

19. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Shouldn't be too much of an issue as all fixtures will fall in the designated international breaks

20. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Very interesting. According to the record, Chris Willock has been in Lisbon since Thursday and set to sign for Benfica B

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

22. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    would it be a good move ?

23. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  24. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    That article got posted on r/soccer and it was downvoted to oblivion. Lots of people can't see past their "fcuk the Daily Mail" world view to assess the article on it's individual merits...

Chelsea/Man City academy players looking at the lack of opportunity in the first team and getting out earlier is something I've hoped would become a trend. One player doing it doesn't prove anything yet, and Chalobah leaving wouldn't really be part of it as he's almost 23, but it's something to keep an eye on. If you expand it out to other clubs, Chris Willock seems to have assessed his options and chosen to make the jump but the likes of Ola Aina and Tosin Adarabioyo both eventually accepted the large pile of money with limited opportunities option when their contracts were recently expiring.

The Guardian repped this.
  25. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    There are other factors at play there as well. Big club fans are often incredibly defensive of anything that paints their club in a negative light, no matter how justified. There are also a huge number of foreign Premier League fans there, and anything that seems to be asserting the Englishness of the Premier League is automatically taken as a depreciation of their fandom. Which, frankly, it is, but I don't see a lot wrong with wanting Premier League clubs to prioritise their long-standing status as community institutions over the wishes of TV viewers in the US or Malaysia.

Most clubs won't do that though, so I tend to agree that players need to recognise the issue and leave at the right time - which, thankfully, they seem to be doing in increasing numbers from Chelsea and elsewhere. But Chelsea's revenue streams will be fine: for every youth player who leaves for "only" £3m, they'll have another like Aké who goes for closer to £20m, so there's no great incentive for them to change their model.

hussar repped this.