The Big "Paucity of English Youth Talent" Debate!

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    That's really shocking stuff and how coaches seem to think that they are justified to scream and shout at kids moving them to tears, in this day and age is staggering whilst getting away with it! I mean seriously what are they thinking, do they seriously think they will improve a player with this attitude? Times need to change with these type of coaches and fast!

On another note, I'm sure this doesn't happen everywhere though, watching the Youth Cup final the other night and from what I could see on the TV both Carsley and Morris looked very calm and just seemed to let the players play or certainly giving the impression their demeanor was very relaxed.

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Its shameful

Kids don't improve with some twat shouting at them

They need to enjoy the game and find resolutions themselves

Coaches are their to guide, the kids have the takent

3. Crowley's rating:
    Go Ahead Eagles – FC Groningen 2-3
    Go Ahead Eagles: Zwarthoed 7; Suk 6,5, Fischer 4,5 (87. Locigno -), Schenk 5, Achenteh 4,5 (56. Maatsen 6); Chirivella 7, Crowley 6,5, Ritzmaier 6; Antonia 5 (56. De Kogel 5,5), Hendriks 6, Manu 5.

FC Groningen: Padt 5,5; Hiariej 6,5, Memisevic 6, Van Nieff 6,5, Davidson 6; Drost 6,5, Bacuna 6 (85. Maduro -), Jenssen 6, Idrissi 5,5 (85. Hrustic -), Mahi 7, Linssen 6 (69. Sörloth -).

Arbiter: Gözübüyük 7

The Vitesse boys:
    Vitesse – Feyenoord 0-2
    Vitesse: Room 6,5; Leerdam 5, Kashia 6,5, Kruiswijk 5 (46. Faye 5,5), Diks 5; Nakamba 6,5, Foor 6 (73. Ali -), Baker 4; Rashica 5, Zhang 4, Büttner 4,5 (46. Nathan 5).

Feyenoord: Jones 6,5; Nieuwkoop 7, Botteghin 6,5, Van der Heijden 7, Kongolo 6,5; Toornstra 7, El Ahmadi 7, Vilhena 7; Berghuis 6,5, Jørgensen 7,5 (85. Kramer -), Elia 6 (87. Nelom -)

Arbiter: Van Boekel 6,5

Seems the Vitesse boys are with their mind already in Rotterdam for the Cup Final coming sunday.

4. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  5. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The 15 year-old is Reece Devine, who has represented England.this season.

However, and as you correctly point out, it's worth noting the heavily-sensationalised language throughout in what is ostensibly a piece that only says that the PL are checking that everything's above board in the same way they do for all transfers at this level. Doesn't do anyone any favours but, you suppose that in light of Liverpool actually being punished, certain outlets feel obliged to restore the balance...

6. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    This isn't the standard level of scrutiny that they do for all transfers. This is extra scrutiny for transfers that have been flagged as suspicious. They've been reporting on the Moulden case since long before Liverpool got punished so it's hardly trying to even things up. And I fail to see any sensationalised language anywhere in the article.

7. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Steve Gerrard is to be Liverpool's u18 coach from next season. According to today's Mail he wants a "physical" group. A lot of lads these days don't seem up for the physical side of the game. It's as if they think progression will just come automatically.

8. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Gerrard's full quotes were a lot more nuanced than the click bait headlines that that have been generated from what he said.

9. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There was a lot of this going around from (some, not all) City fans after the Youth Cup final. Chelsea certainly don't shy away from ensuring the physical and combative side of the game is a part of their education too.

10. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I was going by what was written in an actual newspaper (hard copy). No clicking was required.

11. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    We get it. You read the Mail.

You didn't post a longer form version of what he said so I did for the benefit of anyone who hadn't seen it yet. Simple as that.

12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Indeed, I saw many in the Bluemoon forum effectively talking about the Physicality in the Chelsea set up and the size but many ( not all ) conveniently ignore the fact that all these players can play football too and are damn good.

13. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We get it. You don't like certain newspapers. But as everyone should know, headlines need to be pithy.

14. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Indeed. The City coach praised his players after the game (when being interviewed) but I imagine he was very disappointed in the seeming lack of fight in some of the players. One wouldn't have thought this was such a big game, the way players seemed to concede defeat.

15. Seems a tiny bit happy

[​IMG]

Was a terrible match as both teams were stressed to the hilt, but Vitesse the first half was the underlying party and lucky. Second half AZ matched Vitesses 1st half stress level, while Vitesse recovered from the paralyzing 125 years drought fear.

16. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Full article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/05/manchester-city-hit-transfer-ban-signing-academy-players/

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well, if we have done wrong which it clearly states then no complaints but I'm surprised that these sort of errors are going on still at City and maybe a few P45 need to be dished out! I just hope the players effected find new Clubs and can continue there development without any harm or complications.

18. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Errors? I don't think that's the descriptor I'd chose for what looks like repeated and deliberate rule breaking.

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well maybe should have termed it with damn irresponsible and stupid or were you thinking of an more expletive description?

20. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Everyone's at it, it's just these two have been caught. It's also basically a non-entity of a punishment because even though they can't sign players for a year, there's nothing to stop them recruiting players, and if they make the right pitch, there are few players who wouldn't wait it out to get the big move.

21. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I said right there in my comment: deliberate and repeated rule breaking

22. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016

A pretty incredible stat. The 2010 winners are mostly 24 now.

23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Where does the 22 come from? Is that the number who've been at a Premier League club this season? It can't be the whole squads or it would be 36. Can't be the starting line-ups for the finals either, or Gibson wouldn't be included.

24. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    It reads like saying 22 of those players made PL starts but I don't think that can be right as Butland has 4, Berahino has 8, Afobe has 14 and Wickham has 4 which leaves -7 starts to go around the rest (they must have excluded Afobe to get 92 as the number). I think they must be counting players who are signed with PL clubs but haven't necessarily had any starts this season as "the 22", a clumsy way to present the info.

25. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    So this must be the stat that's being quoted:

It's wrong though, as Gibson didn't start the final. Nor did Berahino, but as you say it's hard to know what he did include - it may be that he correctly counted Afobe and Lewis Cook and left out Berahino.