The Big "Paucity of English Youth Talent" Debate!

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2011/02/football_league_fears_over_pla.html#283800

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...demy-system-to-help-top-schoolboy-talent.html

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, this contact time is one of the biggest issues, glad to see that finally corrected. Although the contact time still needs to be good coaching, skill focussed.

4. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Exactly I don't want to see a club like Crewe get affected by this. They produce some good players that are better coached than a lot of the Premiership teams. Youngsters choose going to Crewe over Stoke for a reason.

5. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    I thought the limited 'contact time' was due to legal restrictions. If the Prem Clubs introduce quotas for English eligible youngsters then this should help strengthen future English generations.

The article lamely points out how a lot of the squad from the last England match came through from smaller clubs system. That is hardly the point. Obviously the current system is going to produce the players. If they improve the system then future generations will produce better players not equal quality players. Obviously the bigger clubs are doing this to benefit themselves but England should benefit too.

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Well they closed down Lilleshall with this intention and the 'bigger' clubs went on to develop almost nothing. I know they are scrapping the local rule but still. We have hoped on the bigger clubs producing talent in the past.

I'm a little wary that giving the best teams almost everything in their favour will leave us over reliant. I guess we always will be anyway.

7. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    This new system is proposed by the Premier League clubs not the FA. The FA have done sweet FA in replacing Lilleshall.

The key issue is increased 'contact time' so that we have comparable coaching time with our counterparts in Holland, Spain etc.

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Because the Premier League claimed their academies would do the job for them ten fold. Even Howard Wilkinson wasn't stupid enough to agree to scrap Lilleshall for nothing. He was sold a load of false promises.

9. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    The problem is the limited contact time plus no English quotas imo. If they sort both of these things out then things will improve dramatically.

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I'm not denying or even arguing about that.

Is it wrong to not be at the least slightly sceptical of this though? Basically the Premiership want almost everything in their favour. Just like the Lilleshall issue where, when things go wrong it isn't the Premiership that suffers. It is the national team. The academies created very little and the Premiership didn't have to even comment on their failing academy plan because they can just buy.

The issue of contact time and quotas is not new. It could have been done 10 years ago or further back. The Premiership didn't seem to care then. I don't know why these questions aren't asked. Why not ten years ago? Why now?

11. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    The questions weren't asked because iirc Brooking said the FA never foresaw the academies going out and buying foreign kids to fill up their ranks :rolleyes:.

The whole thing should have been thought out properly and they should always look at the worst possible future scenario(s). There was no Risk Assessment or anything like that done basically.

12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    This is the thing though. This happened pretty gradually and at no phase was anything even properly discussed. They basically went along with it in hope, saw it was going in a direction of no benefit to the FA, whined a bit but did nothing for years and that was it.

There should be a report into this whole issue but it would probably only become an issue of passing the buck anyway.

Exactly. The FA pretty much thought because the Premiership had money everything would be fine. There has been very little plan for years on this issue from the FA or the Premiership. I don't really think I can get over that and accept radical changes until they actually begin to show positive signs. Maybe I've been emotionally scarred :D:eek:

13. Mike10

Mike10 Red Card

Apr 16, 2010
    Why has it taken so long for clubs to realise residential academy's are the way forward?

Watford are getting it right with their partner school where the kids train and go to school, and then get taken home. Hopefully the other clubs are working on something similar.

Barcelona etc have been doing this for years.

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don't think the majority of clubs have really cared enough. Alot of short term planning and very little vision in so many areas.

It's insane to think that these things were not done years ago. It's hard to praise things like this now when so much time has been wasted.

15. Mike10

Mike10 Red Card

Apr 16, 2010
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11833_6757058,00.html

16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    That is interesting. Wonder why they have picked Surrey specifically.

17. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Just for the record I was disappointed they way the u19s played. Not enough composure and ball retention. If giving the ball away for no reason is a crime there were a lot of criminals on show - and some shocking finishing.

A lot of top players were missing and it showed. Wickham didn't get a look in (but of course got three for Ipswich a few days later). Jack Robinson (Liverpool left back) started ahead of Garbutt - presumably because they though he was better equipped to deal with the flying German winger. But was skinned seemingly every time. They had some obviously top class other players as well.

Overall they looked at a higher level than England but the goal that made the difference could have been cleared. Thorpe (United) irritatingly tried to clear the ball with the wrong friggin' foot (as a lot do). While pundits always nit-pick when a goal is conceded they usually don't say a dicky when a player does something like this.

Anyway on the top class front you will all have seem Sterling's fabulous five in the youth cup. I've been following him since his first Victory Shield outing and he's been really coming along well even before this remarkable effort. He shouldn't be confused with "a Walcott" in that he does have a cool football brain - with the execution to go with it.

On the Rav the Chav front - Saturday would be an ideal chance for Ferggie to give him a go (with the French lad who should not be mentioned).

18. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Mmmm. Talking about quality players just seen a little piece on Harry Kane in the Mail - I hadn't realised he'd gone on loan to the Orient in Jan - Makes the Arsenal game in the cup interesting now. Jeff Stelling hasn't got him in the starting line up though.

Morrison not even in the squad - got big youth cup games coming up againt United and Chelsea (if they get past Watford)

19. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    You can post stuff like this in the U19 section. If you read over the thread Kane has been discussed quite a lot during his loan at Orient, aswell as most things regarding Ravel Morrison.

20. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Bit more information on what Barcelona are planning to do in London.
    http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/noticies/futbol_base/temporada10-11/02/18/n110218115812.html

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...uture-admits-Arsene-Wenger-article702081.html

22. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm well aware of that. I was talking about specific rare talent.

That's what this thread is about.

23. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    If you were aware of the U19 thread you would have known Kane was on loan at Leyton Orient. I was just suggesting some of the stuff you were posting might have been better suited for the U19 thread.

But whatever, forget about it, i'm not putting a gun to your head or anything.

24. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The whole point of these tournaments is to develop the elite youth players playing against different styles/systems of the best teams from other countries and learning to handle tournament football to prepare them for eventually doing the same in the seniors.

But it's a bit of a waste of time if their best players keep ducking out, we send a bunch of no-marks and they come home early with their tails between their legs. Taking a full strength side and being successful on the other hand will give them experience of success and be a foundation for when they face Jonny Foreigner with confidence in the seniors.

All other federations have to release players when told to. We are just a joke the way things are.

25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Wilshere is playing his 38th game of the season tonight (34 starts). He will likely end up playing 50+ games this season. He is now in Capello's plans for the Euro 2012 campaign. So picking him for the U21 tournament is not logical. He needs rest.

This isn't even comparable to the Walcott issue. Wilshere has tonight already equalled the amount of games Walcott played in the season before he went to the U21 tournament. Which Wenger didn't agree with either.