The better half: DCU youngsters in Richmond(R)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by uniteo, Mar 10, 2014.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and DCUSA repped this.
  2. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Some MLS U23 teams going under - Portland; NYRB

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://richmondkickers.com/home/814336.html

RICHMOND, VA – (Tuesday, June 3, 2014) –
    The Richmond Kickers are pleased to host the Mexican U21 National Team in an international exhibition at City Stadium on Tuesday, July 1 at 7:30 p.m. The historic match will showcase top young talent from Mexico’s top flight, Liga MX, as the team prepares for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
    General admission tickets for $20 are on sale now at RichmondKickers.com.

Winoman repped this.
  4. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Willis appears to have turned the corner and has his confidence back. Crosses coming in are no longer terrifying to see.

Francois looks to be a reserve when everyone is healthy. He had a DNP-CD this weekend. Right now he has his speed, but that's close to all he's bringing. His tactical knowledge just doesn't look to be there yet, and that's one thing that Cowlishaw doesn't have a ton of patience for. He's one guy that would probably be better served spending all his time in Richmond rather than doing the shuttle.

Caskey looked a step above this weekend until he started to run out of gas late in the second half.

Porter showed up for the second game last weekend and got a goal and an assist, including the game winner in the 93rd. He's been playing higher for Richmond than he did last year in DC, and I think it suits him more.

I do wonder sometimes what the thinking is for Olsen and his staff when it comes to the loans. Obviously, Willis and Francois are Kickers this season. Everyone else seems to rotate around. Some guys come down when they are ineligible due to cards (Caskey this week). What confuses me is when guys like Martin and Shanosky don't make the bench in DC, but also aren't in Richmond. As a fan of both teams, that frustrates me a bit, especially with a guy like Martin, or even Seaton when he's not on international duty. If they are in the 18 for United, cool, I have no qualms with that. When a young player doesn't get a game at all, well, that's puzzling. I can't imagine the staff doesn't know their 18 a day or two earlier so they can coordinate with the Richmond staff and make sure that these guys are getting an opportunity somewhere.

DCUSA and Winoman repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update

Maybe Ben wants the guys to sit up in the owners box and observe once in a while and that's why they aren't on either roster? Don't know just trying to come up with something legitimate :)

Shanosky tweeted that he may have Mono last week, I have not noticed anything from him since, he was very depressed about it.

6. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't warn you about those Richmond groupie skanks when they send you down.

Boloni86, Winoman, fatbastard and 2 others repped this.
  7. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mono? I guess that's better than Gono, but it lasts longer...

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Richmond hosts Charleston on Saturday in Richmond. Who should DC send for that game? Who are they allowed to send? Shanosky, Martin, Seaton, Willis, Porter I think.
    I'd be fine with sending Shanosky and Porter. I think Martin is injured and I'm pretty sure Seaton is injured. Although both could be back soon based on what I remember reading.
    I'd say no to sending Willis since Dykstra is out for the season.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  10. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Depends on which and how many top players from our team we're taking to Jamaica on Tuesday. I think we should use mostly starters for that game, so who's ever health of these guys against Charleston is OK with me.

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooooooo, that sounds like a road trip. My two favorite teams not named DC United.
    I can wear my Kickers t-shirt with a Battery scarf and hat :) that way I can get beat up on both sides of the stadium :)

asitis and Winoman repped this.
  12. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should be playing a near full strength squad in Jamaica in my opinion with Neal/Estrada/Inkoom/EJ (if he's healthy) in if necessary and only Boswell OR Birnbaum (whoever needs the rest more should get it). If we win this game, we only need a point from the last two games, so we can focus more on MLS down the stretch.

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    imho, you bring Seaton (if he's healthy yet) to Jamaica just because - unless he really wants to play in RVA instead. Which he may since he's probably kind of attached to the idea of them winning a title.

14. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Seeing how only Shanosky has been there for the second half of the season (once Willis was recalled), I don't think there's much mystery about who will be reporting.

15. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin scored the first goal in the overtime win. Shanosky also played.
    They host Harrisburg City in the Semis next Saturday night.

Winoman repped this.
  16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that might have been him, it was hard to tell. At that time, I was standing with the Charleston fans behind the goal.
    It was a pretty good game. At least until the mysterious red card.

17. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    All three reds were about as legit as you can imagine. High two footed tackle, punch, and a kick. Pretty clear cut.

Martin looked good, and really is exactly what Richmond needed. Shanosky is solid at this level, but he is probably too grabby for his own good. I can't imagine that's something that will be a good look as he tries to advance his career.

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cool, probably my bad angle then.

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this from Goff:
    "This might be the final year of the partnership, though, as United explores the possibility of operating its own third-tier team, just as eight other MLS organizations are doing."

Although I like the Richmond arrangement and its worked well, having our own USL team would be good presuming we can afford it without compromising our academy or the full team.
    I wonder if there might be 1 more year in 2016 and then a move to our own USL Pro team in 2017.

sitruc repped this.
  21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I keep getting the feeling that the league wants team operated USL teams more than partnerships (mostly for roster reasons).

msilverstein47 repped this.
  22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and this is exactly the reason why the NPSL team has gone on a "hiatus" for 2015...

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    http://www.dcunited.com/news/2015/03/dc-united-sends-four-players-to-the-richmond-kickers

Preseason Q&A with Martin:
    DCU: What are your individual goals this season?
    CM: I want to be on the 18-man roster every weekend, and from there hopefully I will get more playing time. Obviously I want to start more games and play more often but I think a good start would be consistently in the 18.

Oh poor Collin Martin. I remember seeing him with the reserve team (when that was a thing) and thought he could play.