The better half: DCU youngsters in Richmond(R)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by uniteo, Mar 10, 2014.

1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping that this can serve as the forum for updates on DCU youth playing in Richmond....

To start, any word on the VCU scrimmage?

2. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff said that Richmond won 2-1. Shanosky got hurt in the first half and left the match. Seaton set up the equalizer in the 76th minute; Martin set up the game winner in the 89th. Willis and Francois also played, but that's the only information about them.

sitruc repped this.
  3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like it is not until Saturday:

http://www.richmondkickers.com/home/792655.html

4. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It has always been enjoyable to see people read past the posts of others, but the ignore function has taken that to a new level.

6. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two notes:

1) Seaton and Birnbaum scored in the Kickers' most recent exhibition win over UVA.

2) Willis, Robinson, Francois, and Seaton have been loaned from DCU to the Kickers ahead of the start of their regular season on Saturday.

7. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a big deal for the kickers.
    I dont know much about Jalen Robinson, but Willis, Francois and Seaton will be excellent pick ups for the kickers.
    I want to get season tickets now.
    SOOOO CHEAP

8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this a good or bad sign for Willis?

Enjoy Seaton until EJ goes to the WC

9. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd assume that's a sign that Dykstra has officially passed Willis on the depth chart, so bad in that case, but good in the sense that he'll get regular games?

10. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    There aren't any good or bad signs here. I take the unpopular opinion that the Kickers stand to benefit greatly from the relationship and DC United barely benefits at all. Willis and goal keeping is primarily where we're benefiting, and maybe getting experience for 1-2 players that could see first squad action some day. Birnbaum is the guy who currently has the most to worry about. Seaton and others are simply too young or too raw for their positions, but have upside.

11. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a bad sign.
    It seems like he has regressed since last time I saw him.... that being said, I only saw one game with him so far this pre-season and it was the kickers scrimmage vs JMU I think.
    I'm hoping some good play time will get his head really into the game..
    He's a good enough leader and the kickers can really use that.

Dykstra is a good keeper. He might have really benefited from last season with the kickers.. Maybe the FO is hoping the same will happen with Willis.

12. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Martin isn't going to play here, he should be in Richmond. It's my understanding the AM job is all his if he were there, so a year of playing a position of need for United would be great. Playing 90 minutes every game for Richmond v. playing sparingly at best and training with United? I hate to say it but it may be more detrimental to him just training in DC, they don't seem to be improving anybody.

13. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Martin might play a match with Armaud hurt. If DeLeon gets hurt or whatever who else do we have for depth on the bench? We don't have the luxury of giving him field time at Richmond.

14. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was on the bench Saturday, on a road trip.

15. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neal, Doyle, Porter and Jeffrey, it's not like Arnaud is a winger, any of those guys could play his position. If there is an intention to play Martin, great, but if he's not going to get off the bench, send him to Richmond.

16. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd be interested in hearing about players who have improved at Richmond versus those who either faded away or permanently disappeared to the lower ranks. I'm entirely unconvinced that our players are better off playing against whatever college or lower level clubs they are facing than sitting on the bench watching an MLS match.

17. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if our team wasn't horrible, and we could actually depend on the first 20 players on the roster, we'd take the last 4 of those guys and send them to richmond for games, and maybe some of these younger guys who maybe should not play for us would, I'd hope, get loaned out for a full season to a stronger team.

But since we can't depend on the top of the roster, we have to keep the bottom close to home.

dadman repped this.
  18. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Here is an incomplete list of players we've sent to Richmond. Can't be arsed to really look up the total list. What is DC really gaining here?

Dykstra
    Seaton
    Shanosky
    Willis
    Robinson
    Birnbaum
    Kemp
    Townsend
    Caskey
    Francois
    White
    Tan

This is a whose who of 'who gives a shit' really. Seaton is still in 'prospect hype' mode, Willis is serviceable as a best adjective and everyone else is either not living up to expectations, was dumped or got worse over time. Most are not close to MLS ready.

19. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either you're saying they're damned if they do and damned if they don't, or you're contradicting yourself. You've stated repeatedly, and I agree, that players regress with the first team. That's why I said even training with United could be worse than sitting in a hot tub, it sounds crazy but it's not like it's beyond debate.

20. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes, right now with this coaching staff they won't improve at the main team, but they won't get any better than that at Richmond. This isn't an LA 2 situation where their lower division club is actually useful. It's sad to say, but I reject the idea that these kids are the future of the club. They are the outcasts that likely won't make the roster next year- that's what Richmond primarily is for us- a place to put dudes who won't make it.

21. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shammy, only a few of those players have spent any significant time in Richmond. Shanosky probably just isn't good enough to play at MLS level, United has given him opportunities and it doesn't seem like he's up to it. That's fine, it's not like they cut him after half a season like most teams do, they were patient and I respect that. Seaton is 18. Dykstra has taken the second string spot, so that's upward mobility but if I'm being honest it counts for very little to me b/c I don't know if the powers that be know what they're looking at in terms of development. Ethan White is gone.
    The next most tenured Kicker loanee is Kemp who played what, like 3 games there last year?

22. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Right, so there are basically no players that Richmond have given back to us in some useful, MLS-ready form.

23. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. That's fitting, it's about the Shammiest of Shammy points of view possible.

24. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its unfair to put Fancois, Seaton, Birnbaum, Robinson, Caskey, or Dykstra in that category. Seaton is improving (according to reports anyway which is all I can go on since I didn't see him before he started with Richmond). Dykstra is now our backup, so I assume he improved unless Willis just fell apart. The other four haven't played more than 1 or 2 games there so its unfair to grade them. Also, given how few games some of the rest of them spent with Richmond, its ridiculous to make much of a decision on the process. If we have a list that looks like this midway through next season, then we can deem the loan process a failure. And Long Tan... well I'm not sure there is a coach anywhere in the world that can change him too much.
    Its clear that the loan process hasn't been a rousing success like it has for a few other teams, but its unfair to call it a failure thusfar. I'd say its doing about what I expected, perhaps underpreforming a little bit, but still early to draw many conclusions.

dadman and nobletea repped this.
  25. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silly billy, are you aware how time works?

Marco10 repped this.