the best referees and assistants, working as trios from the same country

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by sidspaceman, Oct 28, 2002.

1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    While reviewing refereeing at the 2002 FIFA World Cup™, the committee unanimously agreed that the best referees and assistants, working as trios from the same country, should be in charge at the next FIFA World Cup™.

http://www.fifa.com/Service/MR_M/45667_E.html

2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    CONCACAF PROTESTS "THE WORST REFEREERING DECISION OF ALL TIME"

Zurich, October 21.- CONCACAF has launched an immediate and vehement protest against today's decision by the FIFA Referees' Committee that "the best referees and assistants, working as trios from the same countries, should be in charge of the next FIFA World Cup".

Calling this "the worst refereering decision of all time", CONCACAF President Jack Warner said: "It is almost impossible to understand the sheer self-interest and thoughtlessness of those who made this decision.

"This effectively means an almost impenetrable road-block for referees and assistants from CONCACAF, from Asia, from Africa, from Oceania...

http://www.concacaf.com/news/article.page/1043

3. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    While I understand Wagner's point, I couldn't care less about the affirmative action of the jobs of referees from smaller countries during the World Cup.

This is all about improving the quality of the officiating, and I'm personally astounded at Blatter's great decision - how well he implements it we're yet to see.

I've always felt soccer needs more referees and there's no reason it can't work - as many American sports have proven to maintain an officiating team off very high quality in sports that I believe are much more difficult to call.

Wagner is just standing up for his interests, which makes sense, but the fans deserve FAR FAR better than the crap officiating we saw in J/K.