The best European footballers in the Spanish league 1974-75

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Titanlux, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    I want to rescue a discussion that, in my opinion, was quite controversial in this forum (https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/historic-world-wide-balon-dor-23-player-short-lists.2027972/page-20 # post-33870522). I have read some opinions in which some doubts were mentioned regarding the performance of the most media figures of Real Madrid and Barcelona during the 1974-75 season.
    Having the advantage of being able to consult different sources of that campaign in the most important Spanish sports media, I wanted to make the following notes in the hope that they can be refuted or clarified by the followers of this forum.
    * Cruyff: After an almost perfect previous season, in 1974-75 his performance falls, especially in the league. The media in Madrid and Don Balón unanimously reflect this decline in their chronicles, articles and reports. On some occasions, some outstanding matches stand out. However, the Barcelona newspaper "Mundo Deportivo" includes him in the ideal team of the season as the player with the best rating in his position.
    * Breitner: Like Cruyff, it comes from a superb season. It is difficult for him to adapt to the league, not so much in terms of his team's game, but above all the hardness of the championship. In his own words, he played most of the injured season; Even so, he manages to contribute his contribution to the clear victory of his team in the league. Clarify that it had nothing to do with the Cup title because in Spain foreigners were not allowed to play in this competition. Without having an excellent rating, their average rating for Mundo Deportivo was quite good.
    * Netzer: His contest at Real Madrid was still quite controversial; Despite his indisputable skills in the attack game, he was a footballer who did not like to run and did not try hard enough in defensive work. As in the case of Breitner, much less could he approach the performance he had in other past seasons, but his contribution was key in the successes of his team. His rating in Mundo Deportivo was simply acceptable.
    * Neeskens: Of these four players was the most unnoticed. Nor was he the protagonist of great compliments, but neither of great criticism. It was a splendid year but all eyes of the fans and journalism looked at Cruyff. From what I've been able to observe this season, I don't quite understand why he got points in the Golden Ball voting nor why he was part of Sport's ideal eleven.
    My particular opinion is that the more or less prominent presence of these 4 players in the Golden Ball voting is explained by their excellent previous performances than by what they did in the 1974-75 season in particular.