The Belgian Beast - The Romelu Lukaku Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Jul 6, 2017.

1. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You shouldn't. However, very many do. Frequently. And it's ridiculous.

I certainly agree that we shouldn't be chanting that about Lukaku because it's racial stereotyping, and even if it wasn't (but it is), he's requested that the fans stop singing it (which he shouldn't have had to do, because it was).

With that said, it can't be denied that much of the weekend's football was enveloped by the shadow of his penis.

benni... and johno repped this.
  2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Thank you for black history lesson.

None of those chance were banned or even looked into, by the FA.

3. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Like a massive black sundial? :eek:

Fans have chanted rough stuff for ages. They shout racial epithets (think Jackie Robinson) and more. Just this weekend I was in Portland for the Orlando City game and an OC player by the name of "PC" (I kid you not) was sent off just minutes after he come on as a sub. As he was slowly walking off in disgrace some of the fans near me chanted "Get off, PC of shit."

I hope this stops soon. As you wrote, it's racial stereotyping and the player has asked that it be stopped.

barroldinho repped this.
  4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You are being simple benni

5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Okay. Im listening.

6. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the BBC covering this story by chance?

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You say or imply that the myth or belief that black men are well endowed is positive. It isn't. It is tied to the perception of black men as lacking substance, of being physical but not intelligent. It is part of a broader narrative that denies the hard work done by black athletes and reduces it to genetics.

Look at the perceptions of the two greatest PFs of all time. Larry Bird and LBJ. One is seen as a hard worker who was intelligent and had to outsmart his opponents. The other one is just a physical beast. Even the use of the term beast is reserved typically for black or brown players. A white guy with the same traits or similar ones is a leader and courageous. All these virtues are assigned to a mope like John Terry but Drogba is reduced to a battering ram.

Sofabloke and benni... repped this.
  8. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    johno repped this.
  9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lukaku is a £75mil bargain - Roy Keane

www.bleacherreport.com/articles/2735630-roy-keane-hails-romelu-lukaku-as-a-75m-bargain-for-manchester-united

I have been pleasantly surprised by Lukaku so far. Didn't doubt that he'd eventually succeed at United, but his blazing start has.
    And I think he's just getting started as well: he's hungry and looks to have risen to the level expected at a club like United. As he gets even more comfortable and builds an understanding with some of the guys, he could e even more lethal. And then there is the Zlatan factor: his presence will keep him fresh until the end of the season.
    He still misses big chances here and there, but it hasn't been too bad overall. If he can work on his Pks, he could boost his goal tally even more. 30 goals minimum in all comps should not be too difficult for him, in the least.

11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Interesting fact. Yet the sense that Lukaku can improve can't be ignored.

Casting a slight shade over stats like this (Lukaku's goals, points accumulated so far, clean sheets, etc.) is that we've played mostly low-rent, bottom-feeding clubs so far. But you can only play the team in front of you as the great scheduler in the sky would have it.

13. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hang a second.

Isn't LeBron considered a beast, because, well, he's an athletic monster. And, Bird wasn't?

MJ isn't remembered as being a beast? He's remembered for his intilligence, skill and ability to deliver under pressure.

What about Olejuwan? (forgive my spelling). Again, not noted for his athletic ability exactly, other than agility as a big man.

Shaq is remembered as a beast, because, again, he was.

I feel like your analyzing this too deeply.

Unless I don't understand your point?

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    LeBron is the greatest basketball mind in the game. Top 3 all time, easily.

Kareem the dream was so much more than physical. He'd have been the greatest small forward to ever play had he been a foot shorter. His strength wasn't strength or leaping or quickness, it was footwork and finesse.

Frequently black athletes are not given credit for their mental ability or their technique. Tebow who was a garbage QB was credit with being determined and full of heart and character etc etc. Cam Newton was just immature and unpolished.

Hell, even Pogba. Think of how often you hear of his physical gifts. Far less frequently than you hear of his intelligence or his technical acumen. He said by some distance the best long range passer in the league but I rarely hear tell of it.

15. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hakeem, foo.

Unless James's real name is Kareem, then I take it back. Lol

johno repped this.
  16. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm not buying the beast/race "broader narrative" theory either at all.

Shaq was described as a "beast" because...he was.

Vidic, despite being white, was often described as a "beast". Rio, despite being black, was never described as a beast and was often described as an intelligent defender because...he was.

There's an endemic racism problem in the US and it definitely creeps into the world of sports (see Trump's criticism of certain NFL players), but how most of us describe most athletes like Magic, Bird, Jordan, Tiger Woods, A-Rod, LeBron and all other top name athletes is no way affected by systemic racism.

That said, the Lukaku chant is inspired by racist stereotyping and should stop, which I think it has by now.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Damn auto correct is racist as hell.

Chaz Striker, JC7rox and benni... repped this.
  19. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As it happens, a woman I know who happens to be white and who played soccer in college, a few hours ago on Facebook was was called "a beast" by one of her former teammates.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does not have to appear in person apparently and will be represented by an attorney, as he remains with the Belgium training camp.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  24. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't remember reading about this over the summer.

Somewhat alarmed by your post, Ashur, I followed up on your link. The alleged offense?

"an excessive noise complaint". :ROFLMAO:

This has got to be the lowest rung on the ladder of misdemeanors* in the California Penal Code. Of course he won't be required to appear in court.

*Governor Brown signed a bill today (October 4) that makes it a misdemeanor (which is generally punishable with a small fine by up to a year in county jail) for a staffer in a nursing home to refer to a patient by a pronoun that is not the pronoun the patient prefers to be referred as. This addresses the alleged problem of "misgendering", which means that a person looks like a man but feels like a woman it will now be a misdemeanor -- punishable by time behind bars -- to refer to that person with the word "him" or "he" rather than "her" or "she". I kid you not.​

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to reports from Belgium, a final decision on whether Lukaku will play vs Bonia will be made tomorrow. But it looks that Martinez is leaning towards going with Batshuayi for this one, with the hope that the extra rest rest will have him ready for the following game next week.