The Azzurri At The U21 Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Deleted User x, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Germany wouldn't have tried to score on that offside call early on, but like Falc said, once they knew they were through and against England, they stopped trying.

2. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    1:0 was perfect for Germany. They risked Italy scoring again, then they would be tied with Slovakia on goal difference who would have had advanced with more goals scored.

3. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    1-0 would have seen Italy eliminated if the Czech's had won, so no. Unless you think that the Czech's had pre-arranged to lose on purpose which is absurd.

4. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    1:0 was perfect when the Danes were up by two goals and Germany had the goal differential against Slovakia. If Italy went up 2:0, Slovakia goes through on goals for. So while it was not a biscotto, in the end, Germany were more than content to end the match as it was.

5. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    True, but as I was watching the game, Germany didn't really give the impression of giving up until about the 82nd minute. Before that point they were still trying (especially in the first half). It just seemed obvious with ten minutes to go that they simply shut it down. I know that Italy Azzurri Fan gave a 4000 word comment on all the possibilities, but my eyes glazed over after about 2400 words.

Regardless, the game was on the up and up, and Italy outplayed the Germans today.

6. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  7. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Bernardeschi's struggles are really mostly when he is strung out wide away from the center of the pitch and away from goal. Playing him on the left side is a waste because when he cuts in, he is on his right foot. Everytime I saw him play as a seconda punta or more centrally, I've seen him shine this year. Good for him.

Petagna was not missed today. Yes, he holds up the ball but he lumbers around and does not score. He sometimes is so deliberate that he allows the defense a point of reference. The trident today gave Germany trouble because they didn't know who to mark.

Sucks that Berardi and Conti are out. That means Petagna is back unless Di Biagio just goes with Bernardeschi and Chiesa up front and adds an extra midfielder to clog up Spain.

Barreca, Rugani, and Caldara were all outstanding today as were Pellegrini, Benassi, and Gagliardini. These guys never play together so it is nice to see them gel.

Never count Italia out. If Di Biagio doesn't fck up the formation, I think we can take Spain.

8. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I would love to see Bernardeschi line up with Belotti as a SS in the future. I know we talked about that possibility on another thread, but this game further highlighted his strengths in that position. I thought Conti was the weakest defender today, but Calabria is definitely a step down. I really would just consider playing Chiesa and Berny up top and throw in someone like Locatelli in midfield.

9. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    BTW..can't remember who said it, but Chiesa is such a smart player. It's unbelievable how tactically aware he is for 19 years old. Reminds me of his dad a bit.

Rosay, calabrese8 and NickyViola repped this.
  10. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ^ this ^

Rosay repped this.
  11. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    We have to give credit to the boys. That was a gutsy display. It was the first time this tournament that they worked their asses off to get the result, a result that was well-deserved as we were the better side. Chiesa is impressive. For me, they look better with him on the flank in lieu of Petagna as a center forward.

Rosay repped this.
  12. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Denmark weren't up by two goals til the 90th minute. Up until that point all that is required is a Czech equaliser and Italy are out.

13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Uhm, a Czech equalizer gives them 4pts. They're still out.

Falc repped this.
  14. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #189 TheAnswer1313, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  15. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    After the fact it looked like a plan but it was only the last 10 minutes that qualification was assured for both teams.

16. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    If Germany went all out to draw the match and take first, they risked falling behind 2:0. We know Italy was not going to risk to allow Germany to draw. Both teams took a cautious approach that allowed them to reach their goal. The fact that it was of mutual benefit, that is the game.

17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Also remember Portugal 1-1 Sweden 2 years ago? They were even way more obvious than us and Germany this time.

18. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    alright we can beat these Spanish ********ers today. let's make some history boysssss

forza_azzurri repped this.
  19. O'Ghiattone

O'Ghiattone Member+

Jan 11, 2014
    Ireland
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Donnarumma; Calabria, Caldara, Rugani, Barreca; Benassi, Gagliardini, Pellegrini, Chiesa; Bernardeschi, Petagna

I would have maybe considered going 3 at the back for this one and having Chiesa and Bernardeschi as the 2 forwards. but Di Biagio has gone with a straight forward swap of Calabria in for Conti and Petagna in for Berardi, moving Bernardeschi onto the right wing. Calabria will hopefully not leave as big a hole in defence as Conti does but will still need to get up to attack.

20. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    ESPNU are broadcasting on TV and online. England-Germany are about the end of extra time at 2:2.

21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Donnarumma is a ********ing giant. Fratelli d'Italia, l'Italia s' desta ....

22. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Up at 5am for this shit, we better win!!

23. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  24. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy not allowing the Spaniards time on the ball, pressing very high up the pitch. A shot on target already. Very high energy they need a goal b/c they will tire with this approach.

25. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Giving the ball away too easily with dumb passes