The Avenging DisCo Godfather: The 2017 MLS Discipline Committee Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by doog, Mar 8, 2017.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JayRockers! repped this.
  2. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Players Union. You are professional athletes. While not right, it is part of your job description to have profanity laced abuses thrown your way at away venues. It is part of the job.

Buck up, sissy pants.

3. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Maybe Howard ought to do a better job of not acting like a complete tool to fans in all contexts and settings.

BigData, PTFC in KCMO and JasonMa repped this.
  4. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I don't have an issue with fans in the stands yelling at players.

But fans should not be able to walk up to a player beer in hand and start screaming in their face.

That does sound like a legitimate safety concern.

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Oh really?

6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    While I understand your point it doesn't become a safety concern until the professional athlete who's probably had curse words we haven't ever heard of thrown at him in all his years decided to physically engage with a spectator. That's on Howard.

JasonMa repped this.
  7. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Yup. I deal with angry people all the time at my job. They are wrong to yell and carry on. It is still partif my job to treat the situation in a professional manner at all times.

I don't see the difference.

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  8. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    It's still a safety concern that you let a drunk fan walk up to a player and yell at them. It's a concern because they are drunk and being aggressive right in the face of the player.

Just like it's a safety concern for pitch Invaders rushing the field. Except in this case we know the individual is angry and yelling in a players face, not just wanting a selfie.

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both. This isn't either/or. Players have to avoid getting dragged into stuff like this, but fans shouldn't be able to get close enough to the players where things like this can happen.

tomásbernal, TrickHog, asoc and 2 others repped this.
  10. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Fenando Adi has been suspended for one game for violent conduct last weekend against SKC.

Adi elbowed Ike Opara in the head in the 26th minute.

profiled repped this.
  11. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the one hand, good for the committee. On the other, we play Atlanta this weekend, so BOO!

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JasonMa repped this.
  15. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Extensive and fair minded article on the MLS access designed stadiums and the heckling of visiting players, as it relates to the Tim Howard incident (and others):

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/feat...rce=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_m_medium=t

I have no problem with advocacy for standing sections, for example. For my generation of fans, who grew up with them before our experience was refracted by the British experience of Hillsborough and the aftermath of the Taylor Report that led to all-seater stadiums, seeing the standing area at Orlando City Stadium is a remarkable development. And yet properly policed and monitored, it may never cause a single issue other than being a cheerfully intimidating wall of noise for a road team to be up against. It’s not the physical structure in that case; it’s the sensitive management of it.

But deliberately creating structural bottlenecks that force players and potentially drunk fans (no matter how well-heeled they are, or how much they’ve paid for the experience) together, during the fraught moments of those players coming off the field after an intense game, is not setting either group up to succeed.

rslfanboy, Ismitje, NeilB and 1 other person repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rslfanboy and deuteronomy repped this.
  17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  18. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    He wasn't even given a card. Why is it so customary that if an egregious foul happens in the first 10 minutes of a game no red card is given. Players and refs know this and its a free for all. Everyone gets a free cheap shot early in the game and I will give you a stern warning not to do it again. Just give him a red and it clears up all other games too.

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awful foul, and no complaints on the suspension, which could have been longer.

deuteronomy and rslfanboy repped this.
  20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Either Gerso was light on his feet or the rain slicked field kept his cleats from sticking. Either way, that was a textbook leg breaker.

21. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Zusi committed a 'similar' tackle around minute 70 as well, but not with as much force or aggression as Schuler. Not being a homer here, just found it interesting that it wasn't addressed also.

EDIT: just realized he got a yellow for it in the game.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oh good, I was expecting the false equivalency brigade to make an appearance.

23. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Dude,
    I clearly said that it wasn't nearly the same degree as Zusi's. WTF?

jayd8888 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  24. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/05/11/seattle-sounders-jordy-delem-suspended-match-vs-chicago

What a rare situation. MLS DisCo has retroactively gave Sounders FC Jordy Delem a yellow card due to mistaken identity and rescinded the yellow given to Ozzie Alonso. Due to this being Delem 2nd yellow is hereby retroactively suspended one game due (against Chicago fire) due to double yellows.

I'll add the only reason why MLS DisCo even was able to do that cause it was the case of mistaken identity and rightfully corrected that error. Under normal situations, yellow cards are not reviewable. Harsh call or not

deuteronomy repped this.
  25. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Delem's first yellow card was also a case of mistaken identity. Delgado deserved the card there.

860936887044898816 is not a valid tweet id

...but I'm not complaining about his suspension. He was not good out there.