Pre-match: The artists formerly known as TFC v. D.C. United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    In my prematch post I indicated that Olsen's tactics were generally suited for TFC (Atlanta is another team too). Problem was that Olsen continued to deploy the high press intermittently during the game. It directly lead to the first two TFC goals as we opened up space behind the pressing players that allowed TFC to get on the move. We got 1 goal from the high press, but the other three were counters with Arriola's directly as I described because of the TFC wingbacks pushing up to the forward line.

If we pressure between the circles in the defensive half we control that part of the field and conserve energey at much greater levels. TFC was not going to beat us with a long pass over the top because our back line was so deep.

I was also really disappointed with Harke's decision making after he came on. Too many high risk passes when he has easy alternatives available to him and he was constantly pressuring the ball instead of sitting back. When he moves into the TFC defensive half he opens up space behind him. Either a TFC player takes that space or a DCU player has to cover it which then opens up space behind him -- typically in the corner where the TFC wingbacks were hanging out all night.

These lost 2 points are 100% on Olsen and his scatterbrained tactics. I don't know why you shift from a low block to a high block intermittently all game long. Our team has below average fitness levels and we just ran ourselves out of the game. Olsen does not have the fitness or quality on the back line to deploy a high press very often.

Conversely, I was really impressed with Acosta's decision making during his time in the game. In the defensive half he used one smart touch and acceleration with the ball to open himself up to make a counter attacking pass when TFC counter pressed us. Arriola did this beautifully all match long.

dadman, ejs1111, Von Zee and 1 other person repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    One final point, I think Ousted proved he is the first ‘keeper. Made some Hamid-like saves tonight. None of the goals were remotely his fault, indeed, the second goal by Vasquez was a fluke because of the carom from Giovinco’s shot. How many times does a ball off the post fall right to another player like that?

Winoman, NicktheGreek and Dizi repped this.
  3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an exciting game, but with even a mediocre coach, they should have come away with all 3 points.

Asad had a wide open chance to win it at the death, but couldn't pull the trigger. This draw doesn't feel like a loss to me, but it is a disappointment.

dadman, Dizi and Ian Scullen repped this.
  4. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Olsen's incessant use of the high press (mind-mindbogglingly with a 3 goal lead) wore his low fitness players out. This leads to poor decision making and reduced capacity to get into position when they do make the right decisions.

ejs1111, Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  5. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    When will someone fire Olsen and put him and us out of our misery? Others can better anlysyze the specifics but he clearly was out-coached. other misc. points -

- Mattocks is the stereotypical early MLS player - good talent but big downsides. He missed easy opportunites and easy passes to set up easy opportunities, and played unenthusiastic defense.

- I knew we were sunk when after scoring the late go ahead goal Asad elected to preen and taunt rather than getting back to talk with his teammates about setting up the defense. He had his 2 goals and didn't give a f*** about the outcome. Next season he'll be scoring goals in USL.

- Brilliant sucks in that understated way so common to over-aged defenders who used to be good. He makes major errors only 3 -4 times a game but that's usually enough to give up a goal or two.

This is a team built to average less than a point a game.

6. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I'd have paid to watch that one.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  7. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asad played 120 in Open Cup, 90 in Seattle and 90 tonight, scores two goals, was integral to the press (did Mattocks work and chased down Auro repeatedly), and he's getting shit on here? Ridiculous.
    Fisher thinks he's a center back, Durkin doesn't sense danger and Brillant is washed. Point some fingers where it's warranted.

8. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not down on Mattocks' touch or his shooting. I'm down on his runs and his decision making. But darn it, he scored again, and on a night where we scored in bunches. He works hard. The runs are distracting, I'll give him that. ;):D

Props to the team for putting 4 on the board. I'm just spit-balling here, but it's entirely possible we don't defend very well. That our lack of points in the league at this time is primarily due to our defense. Our defense might be poor, is what I'm saying and maybe we should address that concern. Which, to recap, is our inability to stop the other team from scoring at will.

Wayne Rooney, a fanbase turns its lonely eyes to you. :whistling:

dadman and DCUSA repped this.
  9. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    One of the strangest games ive ever seen. Did Asad miss a sitter that would have won it? Props to Arriola.. what a motor... and Ousted, not his fault. Some good saves when we were getting shelled. Toronto maybe turned the corner of a bad season tonight... very good attacking soccer second half. Disappointing but remember all those years we could not score goals.

GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  10. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Arriola is proving to be worth every penny. He's done very well as a box to box midfielder. I would have never guessed. Asad was totally gassed on that sitter. Olsen clearly doesn't know when to/not-to high press and consider fitness and game situation. We're out there pressing well past the midfield stripe and even pressing the GK for long kicks (with the wind at his back) with a 3 goal lead. Who exactly outside of Brilliant and Birnbaum can consistently win in the air?!?! Maybe Durkin? Against teams like Atlanta and TFC you have to defend space more so than the man.

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  11. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was only able to watch the condensed game...first saw the score at 3-2 late, couldn’t believe 3-3 then 4-4.

Even the condensed game didn’t show the Asad miss late at 4-4. How bad was it?

Mattocks has 7 goals in 11 games, 6 away from home.

Goals 1, 2, and 4 were beautiful.

Seemed like we couldve been up 5-0 at the half based on the 10 mins of highlights. Arriola should be finished that breakaway. There was a play in the 42’ I think where Steiber had the ball at the side of the box, and both Asad and Mattocks wanted the ball but didn’t move. Any run to the goal should’ve led to a tap-in.

TFCs goals:

1 - I put on Asad. As someone above said, yes he’s played 3 1/3 games this week and scored twice tonight, he still just watched his guy run into the box and bury it. Def appreciate what he’s done but his defensive deficiencies are there.

2 - Crazy bounce, but Fisher lost his man still

3 - Mora got destroyed.

4 - Ousted maybe? Seemed like he crossed the goal too quick and overpositioned. Harsh to put it on him though, 2 guys were wide open back post.

Upsetting result. Expected 0, but 1 feels like a loss. Team could be exciting to watch when the stadium opens. They won’t be out of it yet.

GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The other three goals had United players watching a Toronto player run past them and score. You are correct about the third goal.

13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What do your three points have to do with Olsen and his coaching?

14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Funny when I play and I get tired I defend more, not less. And really your telling me that they were tired in the 56th and 64th minutes?? Really?? If the high press tired them out to the point of missing their marks then I blame the fitness coach not Olsen. 87 and 90+2 sure I'll buy that but not right after a half time break.

15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    That's why you had such a sparkling pro career Shawn, you can't hold these guys to the lofty standards you set for yourself.
    But since it's really about this team not your athletic introspection, you are right, the trainer is at fault. Never in the annals of humanity have those at the top been held responsible for the mistakes of their subordinates. Ben is home free again

superdave, mosca, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  16. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way you really mean this.

Winoman, onefineesq and fatbastard repped this.
  17. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who do you think hired the fitness coach?

18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let me try this for the 102,393 time..........Ben Olsen is not telling Asad "Great goal but don't worry about marking anyone on defense. We have nine other guys to do that." Asad stood there and let his man run right past him to easily score the first goal. That is on Asad not Ben. Goal three second verse same as the first. as well as goal four. The one header goal the Toronto player simply out muscled the defender, it happens.

Many of you want Ben out, that's fine your welcome to that opinion. However you need to stop making up excuses to get rid of him and come with real proof. You don't like his sub patterns. You don't like his lineup. You don't let his assistant coaches. Fine but this lack of marking falls on professional players failing to do there jobs. Should he bench them all? Fine then you will be playing a C- or worse lineup.

19. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curses :)

While I think much of the Olsen-bashing above is instinctual and not grounded in the reality of the game, I will say his subs may have been the worst set of subs I've seen n a while. I thought the game was lost when Acosta was subbed out. I'd really love to hear the logic of that one. We needed to be able to keep the ball now and then, maybe slow the pace, be ready to drop a pass over the top during a counter - things Acosta is better at than anyone else on the team. and he'd been playing great, even defending well (which I don;t think he gets enough credit for, but beside the point).
    Asad was gassed (as well he should have been) at the 60th minute if not before. I thought the first sub would have been for him, it was not. It was an all-around dumb sub instead. I was screaming at the TV for him to be taken out
    There is no reason at all Asad should have been on that field to score our 4th (and I don't even blame him for missing what could have been the 5th).
    It didn't help that one of the subs was Harkes and he blew chunks in his given time; played no useful soccer at all. First two subs were for players who can keep and pass the ball - for defensive midfielders, neither known for their possession.

But bless their hearts for getting the 4th, I thought that was a loss when it was 3-1.

20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Well after 102,393 tries some others may question their skills of persuasion or resign from the debate team altogether, but you keep on plugging along. The team needs fitness training at a higher level than they have had heretofore. I don't contend that they should be dropped/cut/traded just 4 weeks of BUDS training at Coronado should get them fit. The hard shit is coming soon they need to get ready.
    And some could contend that a C- team is what we have but since we've broken the impenetrable 10 point barrier I'll let them slide with a C

JRHokie and shawn12011 repped this.
  21. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    How long do you think that will last? There are 6 playoff spots up for grabs ... when you look at teams that will out spend us, most years ... you've got
    1. Atlanta
    2. NYC
    3. TFC are on some kind of post title slump combined with focusing on CCL slump thing, they will revert to form at some point, if not this year than next
    4. Orlando just got a new investor
    5. Borussia Cincy Gladbach
    6. Prolly Nashville too with Columbus headed west soon.
    We're not out spending those teams. Our MLS2.0 stadium and mentality aren't built to keep up in MLS3.0 and are certainly unprepared for what the next phase MLS will be.

We are going to be at a talent deficit until we get new ownership. They promised spending with the new stadium. They haven't spent a dime at RFK this year, all of us are getting short changed on this team this year with the compressed schedule full of bad game times (1PM), midweek games (5) Sunday games sometimes at night, all the games shifted later because they went cheap on the site & design. And still, we're the 2nd lowest payroll in the league. Wayne Rooney ain't fixing this and he's only gonna bring out the EPL bros a couple times before they get tired of mediocre access, high priced beer & food and shit product on the field.

22. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    If Toronto had the same chances we had, they might have had 6-8. While Ousted hasn't kept a clean sheet this year, I can't put much of it on him.

When I look at Mattocks and his career high goal tally in 11 games, his 4 game goal scoring streak, I wonder why he doesn't have 5-6 more. He's only finishing wide open opportunities in front of the goal. He couldn't make a ham sandwich without dropping it in a pile of dog shit and he's sure not making an opportunity for himself. He couldn't beat an egg, let alone beat a defender. The safest thing an opposing defense could do is force us to pass him the ball early. His ball skills are worse than some of the U9 kids I coach.

fatbastard repped this.
  23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::cry::cry:

8 years, and we're still lacking proof?

You yourself said many times that Olsen is not the one running practice. That's all the proof I need. If the head coach is not alpha enough to take control of practice and teach these bonehead players to win games, then that person shouldn't be a head coach.

24. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    He totally sucks. That play last night where he stole the ball from a defender and wound up scoring? Pure dog shit. Cut him now.

25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you think Wenger or Ferguson or Klopp or Jose run practice????

Q*bert Jones III repped this.