The Arsenal at Liverpool, Premier League Matchday 20, 29 December 2018

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Dec 27, 2018.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing how upset Laca's been to be pulled off lately, you gotta believe that he was promised to get minutes today, and was probably lobbying to get on the pitch, even when it seemed a lost cause.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one on our team really deserves MOTM, but if I was forced to give it to anyone, I think I'd give it to Iwobi. He's one of a very few that can hold their head up tonight.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See ya later folks.

Next game is Fulham at home in 3 days. Someone needs to make the thread, and with any luck they'll have tow to make.

4. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Was okay with Leicsteiner signing at the time. I’d didn’t expect him to play nearly half our games though.

Agree 100% on Henderson.

Tough result. Individual errors killed us yet again. Sokratis has had a good second half. I think the penalty was Oliver giving Kola a fcuk you after he chest bumped Oliver after the first penalty.

Torriera needs rest. He was poor on the first two goals.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think AMN put in a shift, as well. Still needs to work on positioning but his effort was above others.

Serengeti_Boy and NorthBank repped this.
  6. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The boys need some intensive film sessions and Unai needs to savage them.

7. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I’m looking at Emery. You all should be too.

9. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Emery must be a magician to take our defense from last year, add Sokratis, Leno and Torreira, and wind up with our worst defensive record in over 50 years.

Tonerl repped this.
  10. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    4 out of the 5 goals conceded easily were preventable.

Shen-O repped this.
  11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He ********ed this game, and as people were saying all season, our xG overperformance was glossing over mediocre play. Reversion to the mean is hitting hard, and it's not pretty.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  12. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone actually think we would compete with them today? This is an expected result. At the beginning of the year it was obvious we would be fighting to finish 5th.

13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  14. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I did, because we drew in a pretty even game a month ago.

It’s one thing to losea close game. It’s another to lose badly because the other team is miles better. This was neither: we gifted Liverpool all five goals.

This was a self inflicted mess.

15. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Klopp took Liverpool to eigth in his first season. I'm staggered people think a new manager can wash away the previous few seasons of disappointment without spending at least 400 Mil.

16. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Liverpool literally have a 250m+ back 5 against our 100m front three. Meanwhile we played a 70m back 5 against their 200m front three. They are hunting a title so we had no chance of catching them sleeping. A point would have been massive, three points very unlikely.

What I did like was that we kept trying, players didn’t give up. The goals didn’t come, but we had a couple of decent chances. It was pretty entertaining until the end which is more than spurs can say about their loss at home to wolves today.

I was just looking that Liverpool have had all their best players available for every league game. Have we even had the same back line for 3 games in a row?

GunnerJacket repped this.
  17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I’m tired of this talking point that our fans have convinced themselves that we are seeing is fine.

When Klopp came to Liverpool, he implemented his philosophy on the players right away. They were not good enough but everyone knew what Klopp was trying to do. He established his identity in the team and they played like it. He did that within 3-4 months.

Emery has had a preseason and four months of this season to do the same and none of us know eff all what he is doing. We have no idea of what his identity is. This team has no identity and most of our results have been lucky.

And what irks me the most with the Klopp/Emery comparison is that this team is a lot better than the team Klopp had when he first arrived.

I know you are probably happy that Wenger isn’t around and that is enough, but we didn’t sack Wenger to see the same crap product on the pitch.

This team has to finish in the top 4 this season and Emery seems intent on creating a new Sevilla in the Premier League.

casoccerdad47 and Super Llama repped this.
  18. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, I'm not buyin it. I'm putting the Brighton game on Emery, but not this one. For Liverpool, we just got cold beat by a better team.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  19. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool finished 8th in Klopp's first year. How do you think that would go for Emery? He may not be the right coach long-term, but losing this game isn't the reason

20. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #170 ArsenalJake, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    I expected a 6-2 result, so technically both squads underperformed.

Sounds like the honeymoon is over.

bandwagongooner repped this.
  21. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, Lichsteiner has been bad. Worse than expected even, and that was pretty bad in its own right. The only thing you can say in his defense is that he wasn't supposed to be playing as much, and in important games, as he has been forced to play.

One other sorta related thing I guess: our general profile of incoming transfers has been pretty good recently, you'd expect at least one to be a dud. Contrary to that, I think you have to score Holding, Guendouzi, Sokratis and Leno. And Torreira too obviously. Though in his case I think he was a higher-profile, closer-to-the-finished article prospect than the others. With the benefit of hindsight, it's a miracle that he was as cheap as he was.

22. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    You wouldn't have thought this a year ago, but Holding's injury really derailed our season. Before then, we were getting good results, and it felt like it was all being held together with chicken wire and duct tape. Even so, it seemed to be holding pretty well (sorry for the pun). Then Holding got injured, and we haven't recovered.

Shen-O and Super Llama repped this.
  23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If Emery finished 8th this season but he displayed a clear idea of what he is trying to do with the squad, I’d say eff the Champions League because this project has legs.

I am not seeing any of that with Emery and on top of that, this team has enough to make CL but he isn’t getting the best out of it.

Seriously, who has been our best player this season? Aubameyang is leading the league in goals but half the season Emery has him playing badly on the left. Lacazette who is now a 30-45 minute player. Bellerin? He is part of our worst defense since 1966. I say this because these guys don’t look to be playing at A high level. No one is really standing out.

24. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that true? U got stats? Sad if true. We play less attractive/ creative and give up more goal s. Sad.

25. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Times have changed. Scared defenders and scared manager. Pool is better then the gunners but to have no solid game plan for the game? At 3 -1 I put in Laca and go for it.
    Did GK stop any shots? I missed 1st half?