the Anime thread

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by minorthreat, Mar 27, 2003.

1. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Bump in honor of Gall Force being released as a box set. I usually don't like apocalyptic stories, but for some reason Gall Force is different.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Nothing wrong with the world ending so long as it's put back together before the sequel.

Picking up two titles tomorrow that were the first ones I saw raw (no subs), Alien Nine and Risky Safety.

3. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Anyone ever see the Ninja Scroll follow up OAV's of Ninja Resurrection? That is some freaky $hit!!! Holy cow, I couldn't even watch it.... highly disturbing. :eek:

The Dragonball GT's have been out on DVD, and I saw a few. But they're not as good as the G series at all. It was good that they ended the series shortly into GT - just too redundant.

4. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recently got the first volume of Noir, and since my move to norway that is about all the new Anime I have seen. It isn't on tv here at all, but luckily there are a couple of really good specialty stores in oslo and there a couple of clubs i can hook up with to take care of my fix.

5. Scarface

Scarface Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Mexico
    Evangelion, Serial Experiments Lain and Akira are the best:D:eek:

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Saw those ... evidently they were so disturbing, the writers were too freaked to bother with an ending!

7. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Anyone know if there's a Cowboy Bebop boxed set in existence? I've been trying to find one for a while now.

8. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bebop box set was a limited quantity and were all grabbed very quickly.

The only place I have seen them for sale is on EBAY. Even used sets can get pricey, over $200 where as I recently purchased the complete set sans box brand new for $98.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3339074234&category=41524

Andy

9. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Watching through Evangelion again.

I like the series more with each viewing, but at the same time it also bothers me more - some of the parts that seemed pretty innocuous the first time through are really creepy after having seen either ending... i.e., just about any scene involving Rei.

spejic repped this.
  10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just recently watche Blood, The Last Vampire and was a bit disappointed.

The animation was absolutely beautiful, but it was too short and the story dragged on too long. It could have easily been done in a half an hour or less.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    It doesn't help that the box says something like 75 minutes when the feature itself is barely 45 minutes long. That one's on the ME folks.

12. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This may sound like sacriliege to some, but there are a few series out there where I actually prefer the dub to the subtitle - Cowboy Bebop comes to mind, for one.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they did a GREAT job dubbing Cowboy Bebop. The voices fit the characters so well.

14. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Time to bump this thread again.

Going way back to the beginning of the thread, actually, the reason X: the Movie sucks is because it wasn't made by the same director as the series (Yoshi Kawajiri, of Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, and Wicked City fame).

15. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreeing with you. Most if not all anime are mostly enjoyable with English subtitles rather than dub. Dubbing (in my opinion) decreases the quality of the anime by half. I was watching this series with subtitle and then switch the audio back to English and well let just say I was appalled.

Anyway, here are some of the one I enjoyed recently.

-Scrapped Princess (good story, very well-done animation, some memorable characters...about 24 episode I believe)
    -LASTEXILE (wow, great drama/story, as well as animation, one of my favorite) about 25 episodes)
    -Naruto (a great comedy/action)

Check out these series if you have the time. If you can not afford the rent/DVDs, there is always Kazaa unless you have slow internet connection.

16. BadAzzSnowboarder

BadAzzSnowboarder New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Malibu, CA
    I generally dislike anything animated because I could never get myself invested enough in the plot because of the fact it's animated, but there has been movies like The Lion King and The Prince of Egypt where I was completely involved emotionally with what was going on the screen.

Other than that, of the Japanese animation I've seen, it's just been dudes killing other dudes in a creative way, with lots of brooding silence, noir-style, and sounds of footsteps at night. I think that just about sums up my views on anime.

The most recent anime I've seen was in Kill Bill. Now that segment I really dug because of all the handheld shaky cam-look it had.

But again, I haven't seen much animated movies in my lifetime(other than those saturday cartoons I used to watch as a little tyke), I personally think American animation is way ahead of Japanese animation. Not aesthetic and stylistic-wise(Anime probably has an edge in those departments), but content-wise, American animation have more substance and isn't as shallow as anime movies. But then again, I havn't seen much anime so I may be wrong.

17. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    I was just about ready to call you out on all this until I read the caveat at the end of your post.

There's a whole lot more to Japanese animation than what's seen on Cartoon Network or the occasional movie channel. The stuff that is seen on a wide basis is played for one reason: it sells. As such, the stuff you see on TV (i.e. Pokemon, Yugioh, DBZ, etc.) may not be the cream of the crop, but it's marketable to a US audience so that's what gets thrown out there.

As for American animation having a content-wise edge on Japanese animation, a large part of that is likely due to the way each one works. American shows, for the most part, don't follow much of a story arc and each episode is contained nicely in its own little box. I offer up the Saturday cartoons of your little tyke-hood as an example - you could miss the occasional Scooby-Doo, Huckleberry Hound or GI Joe episode and you'd still have a pretty good idea of what was going on in the series.

Japanese shows, on the other hand, have a lot more in content since 1) they usually follow story arcs (sometimes painfully extended ones) and 2) they don't BS their viewers in the basic facts of life. Ever see anyone die or even get shot in GI Joe?

Please don't misconstrue this lengthy post as me being upset in any way - this just happens to be in my wheelhouse. I sell movies on a regular basis and the spiel just comes naturally.

18. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
  19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. mj2017

mj2017 Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Sep 11, 2017
    Anyone here watched Akame Ga Kill?

21. mj2017

mj2017 Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Sep 11, 2017
    I'm anticipating for the next season of One Punch Man as well.