The Almighty Sergio Ramos Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by -Fifth CharM-, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Real__Madrid

Real__Madrid Member+

Aug 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Showed them who's the best defender in the World

madridista_hr repped this.
  2. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Best captain in the world.

Best captains (Ramos and Maecelo) in our recent history. There are no more "outsiders". No more complaints of clicks or groups who feel entitled.

This is truly a family.

The things Zidane, Cristiano, Ramos, Marcelo, Modric, etc do that we can't see is what makes this team so great. You think it is just chance that players come to this team and feel driven to work hard????

It isn't because of our history or name; it's because our megastars are the hardest workers setting an example of an atmosphere... environment which you must match or be casted away.

The way Ramos has embraced Florentino's "we are a club for all" mantera shows. The two previous captains had clicks and had issues consistently between players in the lockerroom. These guys are part of every grouping, lead from the front and by example and have their teammates respect.

Ramos and Marcelo have impacted Cristiano. Look at how much better a leader he has become! He truly is team first.

These two are the example of what it means to LEAD and sacrifice for Madrid. I hope those who follow their footsteps follow their example.

AriGold, xmaje, CR7PT and 19 others repped this.
  3. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post. The no clicks thing is huge.

4. Ƭяιиιтʏ

Ƭяιиιтʏ Member+

May 11, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  5. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I have to admit, when I first saw it I thought why is he wearing a Burger King crown? :p

CR7PT, Tobias19, Digital and 6 others repped this.
  6. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I disagree with this, I think you'll find Raul was a very giving captain. He sat on the bench when his coach asked him to many times. Raul's records speak for themselves, and his dedication on the field is second to none. He was a fighter.

Saying all of this : I do agree that Sergio Ramos and Marcelo are great captains, but not necessarily better than their predecessors. All and all, even though I am less attached to this team, I have to give much of the credit to Zizou. He's not a master technician on the field, but off it he's simply the best.

Y Nada Mas repped this.
  7. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't want to be disrespectful, but Raul only saw bench once we had the Galactico 2.0 project. Owen was benched throughout the season though Raul was performing horribly. Finally they had to drop Figo given Owen's amazing goals/minutes ratio. He was the Morata of that season. Raul got benched against Espanyol early on the season and Camacho had to resign that week after all the media/political drama. Fans were divided those years just like with Iker in his last season. Thankfully, Raul had a resurrection from 2006 onwards(highlight moment was Clasico goal in 2-0 win) after mediocre 2004-06 campaigns where he started most games despite poor return.

8. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A player we didn't need ? I agree.

Look, I'm not trying to rewrite revisionist history - all I'm saying is Raul was a good captain and we won a lot with him. That's all. I do agree that Raul took some time to find his place after his knee injury, but his dedication on the field was second to none.

9. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Agree completely, especially on the cliques and entitlement factors, these make a huge difference in a team setting I would imagine, the idea of leading by example ( hard work) cannot be underestimated either, not to mention his quality as a player and leader on the pitch, this is why I was happy for Sergio to be paid what he thought he deserved and for him to stay with us when he flirted with leaving

10. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Great fighter? Yes.
    Great player? Yes.
    Dedication? Yes.
    Work ethic? Yes.

While he was captain were we a completely divided mess of an entitled spoiled team, with cliques, dedication/work ethic issues and severe locker room problems?

Yes.

Btw, I wouldnt describe "giving" as sitting on the bench after extended periods of horrible form. That's part of the entitlement bullshit we had to deal with during those times. Half our problem then (and the complaint now about BBC) was how players who shouldn't start.... start. He was part of this issue.

11. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it would be fair to say that Raul was a good captain, and some may even prefer his type of leadership. But it would be hard to argue that Ramos and Marcelo aren't exactly the type of captains this team needs right now (inclusive, hard working, big personalities).

It also is unfair to say that Morata wasn't needed this season. Not just unfair, untrue.

yoanaidarov repped this.
  12. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    To be fair & consistent, I don't think he's a top-level striker. I was wrong when I said he was Soldado 2.0, but he's not that special. I really don't see it and was always surprised by people that say he's got this amazing future.

He's a hard-working kid that has decent skills, but let's not act like he isn't replaceable. He's what I like to call a tier 3 player.

Tier 1 - Superstar player that can walk into any team and become a worry for the opposition team

Tier 2 - A player that is either otherworldly with his skills or his consistency, or some very high standards of both

Tier 3 - A player that can effect a game at the highest level, but that cannot be expected to hold the mantle day in day out.

Tier 4 - A player that has some flashes, but cannot be expected to contribute at the highest level

Tier 5 - A player that cannot be expected to contribute at the highest level. Any positive contribution is either inflated or deemed lucky

When I was a scout that's the tier system that I used to use. At the level I was at, the highest I ever got to meet was a tier 2.

13. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's fine, and in some ways there I do agree with you, but this has very little if anything to do with your original statement.

14. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    If you rewind 18 months you'll find pretty much the exact same squad as today spoiled and in a mess with issues and severe locker room problems as well.

15. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We need a tier 3 striker on the team though, especially someone with Morata's grit and hard work. He has won us quite a few games this season, having someone like him come off the bench is crucial IMO. Mariano seems to have the same profile, and 70M seems to be very generous for Morata, but unless we get Mbappe this year, I really hope we hold on to Morata and give him more game time next year.

Shay Z, Zidane05, madridista_hr and 2 others repped this.
  16. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    No, you will fine a united locker room which hated a bad fit of a manager.

Everybody knew Benitez wouldn't work except Florentino. He antagonized the players and ironically brought them together.

Even with Mourinho the locker room was hardly divided against each other.... they just grew to hate the manager, his bigger than club ego and the "me against the world" chariot it rode upon.

That is far different than Raul's day when the players were divided amongst each other, the manager, the president, etc. We were an absolute mess under Raul. Nightmare team.

We're a family under Ramos. There is a huge difference.

Crimson and sleepyvato50 repped this.
  17. ELmerengue

ELmerengue Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  18. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's an easy deal to make I think. We need a striker and Morata's price is over inflated.

19. manofsteel

manofsteel Member

Real Madrid
    Greece
    May 9, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    If Morata is a "tier 3", I guess "tier 2" strikers are Lewa and Suarez and "tier 1" is.... God himself?

The guy has everything a modern striker needs. Strength, positioning, pace, he knows how to handle one-on-ones, his finishing is astonishing. He is like 1.90, yet one of the fastest players of our squad. His goal/minutes ratio this season is only next to Messi's. Btw the inconsistency and "big game" issues are completely untrue. I don't remember him starting any important game this season (except that Sevilla game, he subbed of on 50 minutes), so, how can he prove if he is a big game player (or not)? After all he scored in two semis against us and the final against barca. I can't say he is bad on big games, he was just never given the chance.

20. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Look at his body of work in Serie A. Did not score a lot. Higuain blew him out of the water with goals.

21. snooop

snooop Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Spam alert.

22. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Debate the following: in light of everything that's happened since, is minuto 93 the single greatest and most impactful moment in the club's history?

[​IMG]

Crimson and Shay Z repped this.
  23. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    (limit the inquiry to on-pitch events)

24. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think maybe the Pedja goal and the Septima win was more impactful but I didn't live it so can't say.

I can only talk about the last 18 yrs since I've been a proper fan. I can't think of a bigger moment than La Decima. And that moment doesn't happen without Minuto 93.

Given that it brutally ripped out the heart of our cross town rival along with most other "neutrals" and made millions cry and millions rejoice, I'd say it's the most memorable moment in the last 18 years.

I can't describe the misery I was in during that time and the joy of minuto 93. I instantly turned to my buddy and said we're gonna win in ET. Magical moment for sure.

-Reivax-, raven3k, Doni and 1 other person repped this.
  25. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think the Pedja goal is certainly a strong candidate.

I think minuto 93 goes beyond La Decima, because I really believe that without La Decima the club probably ends up charting a very different course. Do we keep the manager and the same core of players together? That header is a big fork in the road for me. Just the value of the psychological advantage over Atleti having knocked them out the next 3 years afterwards can't be understated.