The All Time Draft Selection Thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Jan 9, 2006.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Considering how early I took Roy Keane (which shocked people), I know where you're coming from. I'd have drafted differently had everyone decided to ignore wingers, of course. :)

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Even though in drafts it is better to be strategic, if this was done by a ranking of players instead of a draft, Rivera is probably better than 31st.

Spartak, in a draft situation, who would you have taken instead of Rivera and if you were ranking players, who would you rate higher?

3. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember all the players who were selected after him. But I was perfectly happy with the midfield I settled on:

----------------------Vieira
    ----------Liedholm--------------V. Mazzola
    ----------------------Sivori

All those players I got after Rivera was selected plus I got the best right back in the draft by passing on Rivera. I definately would have taken Valentino Mazzola over Rivera if I had to make that choice. However, as my trequarista I probably would take Rivera over Sivori. But all these players are so close it's hard to go wrong with any of them.

4. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Aside from V Mazzola's goalscoring abilities, what would be some other reasons for picking Valentino instead of Gianni?

5. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, his leadership skills are second to none. Plus he was a more all-around footballer. He could easily fit into any system since he could tackle as well as create opportunities. But both Rivera and Valentino would be on my all-time Azzurri eleven.

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  7. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great thread this was. I do recall that quite a few great Italians didn't get picked though such as Paolo Rossi (he's not all about WC 82), Silvio Piola, Giuseppe Meazza and Giancarlo Antognoni.

8. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think Giancarlo Antognoni was drafted. I am not surprised with Rossi, Piola and Meazza. Both Piola and Meazza were too old for us to have seen them in action.

9. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Other players from that era were drafted and one can argue that the ones drafted were lesser players.

10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC