The all-purpose Rivaldo thread.

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by toot86, Jul 25, 2002.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: Rivaldo Retiring

Holly crap !!! I guess he wasn't kidding when he said he is a professional and he would play anywhere.

I wonder how the fans feel.

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Yeah, he went where the money was instead of going back to Brazil with some dignity and play at Palmeiras or his favorite team (which I don't know who it is).

3. grgs10

grgs10 New Member

May 26, 2007
    Piraeus,Greece

He had said in the past that he would never play for another greek team..but i understand him a little bit because he has bring all his family here so it was difficult to leave greece but again we all are little sad and mad with him..i guess the only foreign player who loved the club was giovanni.

4. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Kokkalis behaved like an idiot in this case.He gave him his word that they would agreed under the same terms, to offer him a deal with a 50% salary cut six months later.It's not about money, it's about principle.
    He wanted to stay in Greece and the fact that he stayed is proof.He was looking for a school to register his kids during the last months he played for Olympiakos.

Unless Kokkalis pulls a 'Riquelme' out the hat, he lost.If AEK can afford Rivaldo, so can Olympiakos, Kokkalis is one of the wealthiest men in Europe.

I am glad for Rivaldo.If he somehow puts AEK through the group stage of the Champions League it would be the total embarrassment for Kokkalis, who can only hope to be somehow successful in Europe next year to make fans forget about this.

Not even mentioning Vagner Love and Dudu, Ze Roberto, and all the other players that where on the newspapers every day.Pretty sad actually.

5. DJ2492

DJ2492 Red Card

May 27, 2007
    California

This is great for AEK looks like Rivaldo still has some good years in him.

6. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Quick question about Rivaldo as he was one of my fav players

why didnt Brazil and Barca like him.

As I heard he was booed and jeered, why ?

7. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk

I'm not sure where you heard he was booed at Barca?

To my knowledge the majority of catalans regard him as a legend.
    Some rate Ribo at his peak better then Ronaldinho, which shows just how highly regarded he is around the world.

In regards to Rivaldo here is his latest goal in europe, against Villarreal. Quite the corker might i add.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q9R_pVvAdqs

In regards to Brazil, he wasn't appreciated much.
    However his superb contribution at the 2002 world cup changed alot of their thoughts. And he became much more highly regarded like he is in europe.

I'm not sure on the reasons for Ribo being a scapegoat with Brazil. But one thing i know for sure, is without Rivaldo, Brazil would NOT of won the 02 world cup.

8. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rivaldo's situation at Barca 99-02 was one of the strangest situations ever.

1) Rivaldo just won the FIFA Player of the Year Award and his Barca coach, Luis Van Gaal, benched him over positional disagreement (imagine Ancelotti benching Kaka right now)

2) Rivaldo was booed quite often in Barca, by fans who saw him as overly greedy and not a team player

Some writers theorized that Rivaldo was booed and unpopular because he didn't run around waving the Catalan flag, like others. Then, he stuck with Mizuno shoes instead of Barca's Nike, which didn't endear him to anyone, and he didn't have "political" cover. Basically, the guy was jerked around quite a bit by Barca's fans, which has to be the greatest example of spoiled fandom ever. When he left, Barca fell apart until Ronaldinho came (Barca really wanted Beckham)... and the whole cycle is repeating itself now with Ronaldinho, even as he took Messi and Dos Santos under his wing. Barca is a weird place.

9. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  10. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I hope not. Off the big guns from the 2002 WC team he is the one I respect the most.

I am hoping he decides he has enough money for his future and come back to play for Palmeiras :p

12. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    Itz done already he is in Uzbekistan and they as well as rivaldo have confirmed it

13. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  14. akindele12

akindele12 Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
  15. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  16. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So much for finishing his career at Palmeiras as he said in the past. All of these players always say they'd like to end their career at Palmeiras, Flamengo, etc... but when the time comes, they are all just listening to the big bucks.

I would imagine players like Rivaldo, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldo have all made more than enough money ... but who am I to judge :)

It would just be nice to see some of them actually play back here before they are too old ... or too fat ;)

18. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Scolari said yesterday that, it is unlikely that Rivaldo come back and play for a team in Brazil.

20. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    Apparently he's holding out for a move back to Europe.

Quotes from his twitter are as follows (http://twitter.com/RIVALDOOFICIAL)

"Sorry guys, but my lawyer has just informed me that his phone never stops ringing, many clubs in Europe and Brazil are linking "

"Despite my 38 years , I have the will to play soccer in Brazil or in Europe , I always cared for it. Can be sure of that. "

His will still seems to be strong and full of motivation.
    Even though he's 38 i see no reason why he couldn't play back in La Liga or Brazil.

Long as he would accept a lower wage and the impact sub role 25/30mins a game. I reckon it would be a decent signing for any lower/mid-table side in Spain. Afterall his technical ball skills are still world class that i have no doubts.

At 38 i'd be very shocked if he could last 90mins.

Personally i think he should return to Brazil with Palmeiras and Scolari, help get even more exposure to the country. Where he could probably play for a couple of years.

At a long shot, perhaps 1 season at Barca. Wonder what the odd's are on Ribo returning to Barca lmao. (The nostalgic side of me coming out their)!!!

21. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Mallorca showed some interest but he was too expensive for them and now he is probably going to Al-Ahli.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Felipao says no Rivaldo at Palmeiras ... because he doesn't believe Rivaldo can't really stand the physical rigors of the game in Brazil.

Mais uma vez, a justificativa para deixar de lado um dos ídolos da torcida palmeirense da geração de 1994, quando foi campeão Brasileiro pelo clube, foi a mesma: o físico.

- O futebol tem um ritmo muito acelerado. Eu mandei um email para ele, vai ser muito difícil ele entrar nesse ritmo do Brasil. O torcedor pode alimentar sonhos, mas não vai acontecer nada – concluiu.

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He'd gain more of my respect if he returned to Santa Cruz in the Serie D and help them return to a respectable level. He'd be fine at that level.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hahhaahahah ... I couldn't say I would do that if I was in his position. Then again I would have never gone to Kazakstan.