The all new Random Thoughts Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by StiltonFC, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I do a lot of open water swimming in New England in the summers - I've seen smaller sharks on my swims, bull and sand sharks mostly, but I've never come across a great white although I'm certainly well aware they're out there. On one of our islands there are two spots where there are massive seal herds and you couldn't pay enough money to swim anywhere near them.

el-capitano repped this.
  2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Wear a black wet suit and fins.........You'll be alright.

3. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why is it unreasonable? Fact of the matter is that until 1979 the Ayatollah was in exactly the same position as Billy Graham. A delusional preacher believing that the babblespeak inside his head was coming from a deity ....

That said - I have no way of knowing how Billy G(obshyte) would have ruled had he been swarmed into power on a revolutionary religious crashing wave... but I'm certainly not crazy to at least suspect that he would not have been amenable to allowing hostility to his God's word......

I said - for the purposes of elucidating equivalency "mad doctrinaire zealots". That's exactly what both of those creeps were.... Delude yourself all you like that one was less or more mad than the other.

One had more power than the other is about all you can say on the matter. ((here's a fun fact - people with the same rationale as Billy burned people at the stake a few hundred years ago, and strung some unfortunates up on trees less than 100 years ago - and I'm not sure that the ayatollah ever did anything much worse than that ... actually I'm not sure how you can actually do much worse than that to those involved.....

So yes, I'd be interested in knowing what the 13 power difference is in rationale....

4. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you have ANYTHING to back this statement up.

IOW, can you fairly establish that Graham was delusional? or maybe you're just a parrot for Richard Dawkins, who, btw, had to concede that there might be a god, however unlikely, just not the Biblical one.

5. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple years ago wife and I were in SanFran. Watched the surfers in their black suits out near Seal Island, on which there are no more seals - they moved into the harbor because of the presence of the Great Whites. What does that say for the mental capacity of those surfers? :)

6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I often wonder why people with a bee in their silly bonnnet can't keep to the subject, without spouting pointless comparisons - by this I mean here that you have no idea about my theories about the idea of God. You think you do, but you don't.... and, FOR THE RECORD, I've held the views that I developed long before I ever knew who the hell Richard Dawkins was.

Just for starters - I would be the first person on the planet to concede that there might be a God. I have no certainty, but equally, I have no non-certainty (which atheists tend toward). However, I have an even more important psychological trait - I don't care if there is a God or not? He ain't talking to me, if he's there (and if he is he's a distinctly bad communicator, because I have no particular reason to believe that the word of Islam or the word of Christianity or the ancient Jewish rites or the uber-clowns out there in Utah, aren't the one true way. None - other than this faith that people claim to have, which I don't have, nor do I want.
    No idea - and because of that, there is no logical reason that I should place any one of these competing (and hostile ) theories above any other. Therefore God, if he is there, he is not only omnipotent, but paradoxically a rotten communicator, who delights in setting traps for his little creations, traps the like of which they can have no possible way of using the best thing he gave them (their minds) to fumble their way out of. If there was just one theory then the God - no-God choice would make sense, but this is a big geographical mess, and I can't stoop as low as a clown like Billy Graham would to make the assumption that God would favour one region of his beautiful world creation over any other. And no-person or religion has ever given me an adequate answer as to why I would or should drift in mind toward any of these competing factions.
    Here's the deal as far as I see it. Your religion (not 100% true - but let's say 80% at least) largely has to do with the luck of your geographical destiny

Therefore = if there is a God - and I generally hope and think there is (btw) - I see no reason to bother with worship? I've never been told to - or how to, or more importantly (outside of all these contradictory competing claims) why I would even want to, if God is not asking or bothering to clarify his asking to the workings of the human mind which he supposedly created. And if God is there asking me after I die why didn't I worship him? I'll ask back how was I supposed to know how to?
    So, let's agree (just to calm you down) that there's a God - big deal. He isn't communicating that we worship him - that's from out of our own historical and grasping and needy delusion

Back to Billy-wanker.....
    Here's a portion of what I can posit about people like Billy Graham being delusional.....
    These people (the fire and brimstone lot) base most of their utterances on the parts of the Old Testament that Jesus Christ went out of his way to point out must not be taken literally - and who do they use primarily as the touchstone prophet-deity to back up their nonsense - none other than Jesus Christ. I've said this many times before, most of thesepeople would not get along very well with Jesus should he return....
    They would all be better served banging on about Abraham and Moses, etc ....

delaynomo and burning247 repped this.
  7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

It might say either of two things .....
    ;)

8. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just finished season 1. Very good and yes, reminded me of Breaking Bad a bit.

9. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheers. The setup for season 2 looks like it could be good.

Just got all caught up on Peaky Blinders. Tommy Shelby always has a plan.

10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tried watching the pilot and it didn't grab me. I was surprised because I love historically based dramas.

11. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It improves with each episode and season. Took me a while to fully get going on it but keep it in your list check out an episode here and there.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went on a sight seeing flight in one of those puddle jumper planes over the southernmost islands of the Outer Banks in North Carolina. Looked down and notice about 25-30 dark spots in the otherwise crystal clear water and asked the pilot what they were. He said they were sharks gathering around that area to feed. Granted I was several hundred feet in the air but they were a good size, probably not great whites. My guess was tiger sharks.

13. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have the day off today due to a windstorm!! I was going to stay home anyway - but apparently schools, govt, and my firm are closed now. apparently 60+mph winds for 12-15 hours. Weird.

14. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wind and rain turning to snow here. Just another day in March. :)

15. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rainy snow blowing sideways here in Harrisburg, but everyone is still soldiering on.

16. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Blizzard conditions last night in the Sierras...windy and rainy throughout NorCal

17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All good here in Dallas, after over a week of non-stop rain. I always felt like I would probably fit in better in the Northeast but then I see the weather and I'm like "nah, I'll stick with Texas."

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shitty weather here in New England, more or less what newterp and dcc have.

19. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    In the preceding 24 hours to that there was mental rain in the Bay Area.... I'm talking buckets.... Was mostly during overnight though ...

20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  21. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Bit of light rain with long sunny periods here. Got to go up the coast later to a store there. It'll be good to see the surf coming in.

22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Do you actually want to come across one? .. ffs???

23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    August lasts way too long down there - like 4 months...:)

25. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's not August - it's Hades. But tooting around yesterday in 72 degree sunshine is the other side of it here in the Lone Star State.