The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D.C. United and Minnesota United are the only pay-to-play academies in MLS, AFAIK.

TC/SP and dropped homegrown territorial restrictions helps, however will it be the antidote for all of pay-to-play problems?

2. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Football isnt the only major team sport where people care about international competition? The Rugby world cup is very big internationally, so is cricket, they both get MASSIVE worldwide TV audiences.

M repped this.
  3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pay to play is about college scholarships.

The main problems the US and Canada have are geography and lack of qualified coaches.

The latter is being addressed to some extent by USSF but it can't do a lot about the former.

A billion people on the Indian subcontinent alone are said to have watched India play Pakistan in the cricket World Cup.

4. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You can lump cricket and rugby in there. Soccer is the only team sport that's semi-popular in the US where the athletes actually give a crap about international competition.

5. Does that translate to soccer too? Is the Olympic soccer team an eyeball magnet?

6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the men's team, no, because it's U-23, and they've only qualified three times in the MLS era (including once as hosts). For the women's team, it's their second-most important competition and it's a big deal for their fans, but the mainstream attention is much smaller than for the World Cup.

JasonMa repped this.
  7. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Not really for the men, but the women's team, yes.

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely the 2012 final got a big domestic audience.

9. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Basketball (and similarly, baseball) is pretty much considered our game. I kind of feel like the prevailing sentiment is that international is beneath us in those sports.
    Obviously the USA does well in the Olympics, generally, but I don't think we generally consider most of the popular Olympics sport to be an American invention like baseball, basketball, or football.
    Women's soccer is the interesting case, I think. Like basketball, it's a sport we've always dominated internationally, but I guess the distinction is that, as a nation, we mostly have an inferiority complex about the sport.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  10. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    We're talking about American reactions to international competition, aren't we?

Edit: meant competition, not specifically tournaments

11. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Seems like Lansing Ignite are opening a spot for them to drop into if they want...

12. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's put it this way: soccer is the only international sport where US national teams have any real importance at all. Baseball is similar to basketball: even with MLB actively involved in creating and promoting the World Baseball Classic, most of the best American players are declining to play in it. The national ice hockey team gets more top players than the basketball and baseball teams, but still, a substantial number are not interested in playing for the US.

Rugby and cricket are barely a blip on the sports radar in the US. The all-time record attendance for a club rugby match in the US is 6,000. (The rugby union national team has exceeded 10,000 only 15 times in its history, and the rugby league national team has never exceeded 5,000.) The national cricket team didn't play a single match at home until 2010, and its record attendance is around 2,000.

13. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    So no ticker-tape parade for the US Rugby World Cup team then. Even Tonga tonked them in the current WC - which has been great btw, especially the host nation's games.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've really enjoyed watching all the rugby available on NBCSN. I don't have their subscription package, so I've only seen (most of) the games available with a basic Hulu package. I've yet to see a single match, however, that was decided by a single possession. A lot of blowouts.

Still fun to watch.

15. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Just saw that. So much for depending on the millionaire real estate developers and minor league baseball team owners, I guess.

USRufnex repped this.
  16. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Anytime I get to pop the smoke for Business Metrics SC is a good day :)

Expansion Franchise repped this.
  17. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    The world hockey championships happening at the same time as the NHL Playoffs doesn't help, but my impression is they definitely care about the olympics and have been trying to catch that "miracle on ice" lightning in a bottle again ever since '80.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My ex-wife couldn't understand the concept of someone playing for two teams (club and country).

19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that why she’s your ex? ‘Cause that doesn’t seem all that complicated.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She grew up in the LA suburbs of the 1980s following the Trojans and Dodgers, so besides the 84 Olympics, international sports were a bit of a mystery.

There was a Team America, f**k yeah!

(Btw, the USMNT played 1 game in 1983, in Haiti).

21. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    It gets better - the owner trademarked a team name for Grand Rapids, wanted a USL_C team but was told to start with Lansing. The "2" team folded before they could even feed the parent and take a shot at killing Grand Rapids FC

Well done USL, take a bow....

USRufnex repped this.
  22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The PLS are supposed to stop this sort of thing from happening.

Promoting Grand Rapids FC would be a more sensible idea if the fans who own the team are open to taking on board an investor. They've had several attendances over 4,000 and a couple over 6,800.

23. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    GRFC seems to have been taken over by another organization: https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandRapidsFC/comments/d6xlpd/next_season/

But the future was already in doubt: https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandRapidsFC/comments/czqc91/rip_grfc/

CoachP365 repped this.
  24. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    M and CoachP365 repped this.
  25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY