The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Asked why clubs might use the higher ticket sales figure, the director — who is involved in raising sponsorship revenue for their club — suggested it was simply about ‘perception and brand image’.

‘If you quote higher attendance figures it obviously gives the impression that you’re a bigger club,’ they said.

‘And while television money amounts to roughly 70 per cent of the revenue for Premier League clubs, it could also help boost sponsorship revenue. If you can tell a potential sponsor you’ve got, say, two million sets of eyes on your shirts over the course of a season, that might help when it comes to negotiating.’"

"The FA often announce attendance figures at England matches based on ticket sales when it is clear that many of the seats secured by debenture holders are empty. "

"The BBC did not receive figures for Arsenal but the official average was 57,054 at Emirates Stadium last season, with the capacity 59,867. The Arsenal Supporters’ Trust told the BBC, however, that the actual average attendance was about 46,000. The BBC say the club disputed the figure, even though it was clear attendances had dropped towards the end of Arsene Wenger’s final season in charge."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-attendance-figures-quoting-ticket-sales.html

barroldinho repped this.
  2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And of course games that matter will generally attract more fans than games that don't. I don't dispute that.

barroldinho, jaykoz3 and HailtotheKing repped this.
  3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Ham, Watford, Southampton are certainly MID to LOWER table teams.

barroldinho repped this.
  4. Are they faking sold tickets or are the tickets sold, but the buyers decided to go and do something else?
    Feyenoord has the stadium sold out for the whole season to 98%. They couldnot sell the full 100%, as they're obliged to keep a %age free for the visiting club.
    However the last match, although sold out, was only visited by 35000 in the stadium in stead of the 49000 tickets sold.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tickets are "distributed".

6. ??
    What does that mean?

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That depends who you ask. It could include free tickets that were distributed but not used.

8. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many tickets are sold to corporate buyers, mostly used for "business development" (read: entertaining potential business partners) and sometimes for events, employee perks, and various other things. US corporations spend $20 billion a year on sports tickets, and a little over 40% of those tickets go unused.

barroldinho and HailtotheKing repped this.
  9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Back to the point I was actually making: a passionate but ultimately disgruntled crowd at Brighton last night for the relegation six-pointer. I very much doubt every man and his dog was trying to sell their tickets for this game, as I've regularly seen for "playing for better draft choice" games here. That's one of the beauties of pro/rel: it creates interest both from the top down and the bottom up.

10. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
  11. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're just going to outright ignore how you got toasted on the attendance bit?

cool, cool

12. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Empoli FC has the lowest average attendance in Serie A despite being in the thick of a relegation battle. This proves they need a better slushy selection at the stadium.

barroldinho, Elninho, jaykoz3 and 2 others repped this.
  13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody plays for better draft picks.

HailtotheKing and jaykoz3 repped this.
  14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Empoli
    Stadio Carlo Castellani: Capacity 16,284 (seated)

2018/19 relegation battle 9,471
    2017/18 promoted (champions) 5,614
    2016/17 relegated 9,409
    2015/16 10th Serie A 9,510
    2014/15 15th Serie A 9,229
    2013/14 promoted (2nd) 3,910

Clearly not everywhere is just like England. And that's the problem. We don't know what would happen. Maybe Portland fans would double-down in the face of relegation, but would fans in Colorado, Chicago, the Bronx, stick with their teams "through thick and thin"?

Of the first three teams to be relegated from the Football League, one went out of business, one became the biggest club in the world and the third has given it's fans another 126 years of misery. I'll let you work out which is which.

upload_2019-4-17_11-12-16.png

M repped this.
  15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't get the scope of M's argument.

In scope: examples of teams in closed leagues playing for draft picks.
    Out of scope: examples of closed leagues being popular and successful.

HailtotheKing and jaykoz3 repped this.
  16. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    It's almost 60% higher than the previous season when they were promoted from Serie B, so I'd say there's quite a bit of engagement, relatively.

17. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Well, I agree insofar as I don't think any player does and I don't think any MLS team does (because it's pretty worthless).
    You cannot deny the existence of tanking, though.

18. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Nobody misses the point more than KCbus.

19. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teapot meet Kettle.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  20. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    And you were only second on my list of people I thought would come up with that response. So... well done!

21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Meanwhile, back on pro/rel, I see Torquay and Stockport, two ex Football League teams who succeeded in getting relegated to the second tier of "non league"football, are now moving in the opposite direction. Torquay have been promoted and Stockport look as though they are favourites to join them. Additionally, Leyton Orient remain favourites to gain promotion back to the Football League and Lincoln have been promoted from League One. And Luton, not so long ago in non-league football, could well be promoted to the Championship. Interesting how things can change in a pro/rel pyramid.

22. M repped this.
  23. Part from the BBC article:
    Ajax shares gain
    At Juventus's Allianz Stadium on Tuesday night Ronaldo, a five-time winner of the tournament, headed the Italian hosts in front from a first-half corner.

But Ajax battled level as Donny van de Beek controlled Hakim Ziyech's shot and slotted past Wojciech Szczesny.

Then the Amsterdam club's teenage captain Matthijs de Ligt's scored to eliminate the Serie A leaders.

Shares in Ajax were up 8.5% to an all-time high of €18.60 after their victory, valuing the club at more than €300m.

For reaching the Champions League semi final Ajax will receive an additional €12m in prize-money, with an additional €19m available if they make the final and win it.

Juventus was placed 11th in Deloitte's annual world football rich list this January, with annual revenues of €350m, making it Italy's richest club.

Ajax failed to make the Top 20 of the Deloitte chart

As good old Johan Cruijff once said: "I've never seen a bag of money score a goal"

24. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to them.

25. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Torquay can get back to an academy since they had shut it down a year after being relegated to the Conference for "cost cutting"