The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're not "playing my games", huh? That's amusing.

Come on M. You can do better than that. You know full well that you avoided that question twice and you'd be all over anyone who did the same to you.

Michelin stars are a highly regarded rating that can and do attract customers to a restaurant.

USSF divisional designations essentially rate a league in terms of its standard based on its clubs resources, coverage, infrastructure and viability.

To your other comments, I already acknowledged a conflict and said I hope it changes.

But I get it. I got it long ago.

More fool me for trying to discuss an issue in good faith with someone who uses the terms "rigged", "cartel" and "gloryhunter".

jaykoz3 and An Unpaved Road repped this.
  2. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    THIS.

966553110201208832 is not a valid tweet id

3. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Still missing the point I see. In addition to its role in rating restaurants, how does Michelin regulate the restaurants it rates?

Anything constructive to add to the thread?

USRufnex repped this.
  4. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't get what he's saying.

I couldn't have been prouder to be in attendance when Robbie Rogers took the field for my LA Galaxy for his first pro appearance after coming out of the closet.

This is why people like him get "trolled".

Because "prorelforusa" is constantly looking to attach itself to other causes to manufacture some kind of moral high ground that it doesn't truly hold.

Amusing that you're still here, after yesterday's song and dance. Amusing and slightly disappointing.

Now prepare to witness how putting someone on ignore works for somebody using it sincerely.

bigredfutbol, HailtotheKing and KCbus repped this.
  5. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    966559976004243456 is not a valid tweet id

6. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Really. You're putting me on ignore?
    Can you get HTTK to do the same?
    Kewl.

7. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #11032 USRufnex, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    No, you simply don't want to get what he's saying.

You know full well what he meant.
    Nitpick and cherry pick.
    It's your calling card.

No. "prorelforusa" is a simple hashtag that hundreds of fans use, and means many different things to many different people. I was proud when fans from Little Rock Arkansas met us at a bar, then proceeded to the stadium, and unfurled a "ProRelForUSA" banner. That banner has been used in many different places. Just because you want to stereotype, pidgeon-hole, and demand we have to talk about Ted because you say so doesn't mean we have to do anything other than endorse the concept of Pro/Rel.

That's what we're doing with that statement.

I felt I needed a parting shot before I left but that post was deleted.
    I believe my unscientific twitter poll resulted in 50% wanting me to boycott bigsoccer, 13% said no, while another 37% opted for "What's bigsoccer?"

So, if you'd like to put me on IGNORE for weeks/months at a time, then I may ultimately decide to stay here and write multiple replies to your posts when I know you're ignoring me.

After all, turnabout is fair play.

8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly wasn't. I answered the scarf tweet with a legit answer .... and then made a "Holy ******** this is ridiculous" retweet of their RIDICULOUS tweet:

My God Jeff ... their entire stance is flat out insane. I made one other tweet when someone asked if they were being serious or not.

You're into TED levels of slander and misrepresentation at this point. You want to talk about how people can't leave you out of it on here (or leave others alone) yet you do the same shit over social media. My THREE tweets in reference to this account were 1- legitimate answering of something they proposed 2- a retweet of an absurd tweet 2- answering someone else about them being serious

Jesus ... grow the hell up.

barroldinho repped this.
  9. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    ....did Jeff bring his Twitter failure onto this thread, right in the middle of a conversation about how Twitter isn't relevant to this thread?

"Show Ignored Content" is just sitting there, so inviting....

Anyway. I should let the festival of deleted Tweets on the part of Brave Sir Kenneth not speak for themselves, I guess, but I'm more offended for progressivism than anything else.

How do we fight racism? Let every race form soccer clubs and work their way up the pyramid! How do we fight homophobia and transphobia? Let every orientation form soccer clubs and work their way up the pyramid! How do we fight for children and seniors? Let all ages form soccer clubs and work their way up the pyramid! How do we protect the environment? Let dolphins form soccer clubs and work their way up the pyramid! How do we fight climate change? Let melting icecaps form soccer clubs and work their way up the pyramid!

I've asked many times whether it's the bad people that make the arguments bad, or the bad arguments that make the people bad. Clearly the answer is, "Yes."

HailtotheKing, KCbus and barroldinho repped this.
  10. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    No. Do meth addicts get a say in how the cartels are run?

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Barra's issue is with the DC United Front Office. Motorik is hoping to poach some soccer fans who are turned off by the ownership's ongoing campaign to neuter and ultimately either co-opt or eliminate the independent SGs.

It's been an ongoing struggle since the new owners took control, but the latest agreement between the FO and the Screaming Eagles just turned a long-simmering dispute into a full-fledged conflict.

Again, I don't begrudge Motorik seeing an opportunity to market themselves. I also don't think it means anything significant.

USRufnex, HailtotheKing and M repped this.
  12. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    #11037 An Unpaved Road, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Pro/rel enhances religious freedom? I think I need a new sport to follow.

Points for a unique marketing approach, though. Dairy Queen will defeat global warming if you buy more Blizzards.

HailtotheKing, bigredfutbol and M repped this.
  13. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Apparently the post was meant to be about the closed system disenfranchising minority ownership.

1) Is there an ethnic group not represented somewhere among MLS owners?

2) How did they come to this conclusion? What aspect of bidding for a club disenfranchises minority ownership?

14. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now you're the one claiming sports leagues are cartels?

Wow I'm confused.

Dan Loney, M and barroldinho repped this.
  15. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes fans have that power. So wouldn't it be in a leagues best interest to listen to their fans, in a meaningful way? Particularly for a league that has a lot more competition than the NFL.

USRufnex and M repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most MLS supporters care more about drums and flags, tifos and capos, than they care about pro/rel.

I mean, how many fans would want to open their club up to dropping out of the league?

17. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    But fans aren't demanding it. If say the XFL actually puts a product out there that's different and appeals to football fans, then fans will go to it. We've seen it before with the NBA adopting many of the ABA's rules when the merger happened.

But fans aren't out there demanding it. Despite a few blow-hards on Twitter ranting about it, the lack of pro/rel isn't holding back the growth of soccer in America. MLS is seeing growth in attendance, sponsorship dollars and modest growth in TV ratings. Fans are not demanding it.

If in ten years, USL has set up a pro/rel system and are pulling fans from MLS then we'll talk.

HailtotheKing and jaykoz3 repped this.
  18. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Look who the president of Motorik FC just threw his support behind:

966556890930040833 is not a valid tweet id

To those new to the broader US pro/rel discussion, soccerreform is Ted Westerveldt.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  19. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Well, the door is open to teams simply upping sticks to a new location...

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the original Miami FC did. But you have a point, most NASL teams have just moved leagues.

21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. The Barra are pissed about a lot of things right now; the fact that we haven't been relegated ain't one of them.

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily for him, most fans don't care one way or the other.

23. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    MLS fans care about jumping around on game day. Lower Division FC that formed yesterday fans care about cutesy-cool Twitter profiles and scarves as a fashion accessory.

Sometimes I get the feeling the big problem here is that U.S. soccer fans don't actually much care about the actual sport. :p

24. bustos21

bustos21 Member

Aug 13, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  25. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England