The agenda of the left

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Sep 28, 2017.

1. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with that argument. People who don't know how emails work shouldn't regulate the Internet.

Boloni86 repped this.
  2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems like a pretty shitty deal for those people who do manual labor for a living.

3. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At some point, not too far in the future, those jobs will all be run by machines. Will the retirement age go up then?

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm, well. The thing is, we do have jobs available, in the sense that illegal immigrants fill the void for the jobs that few Americans want to do. The hard agriculture jobs, landscaping, dishwashing, car washing, and so forth. Restrict them and those jobs become open. But are we going to be able to talk sixty-something Americans into taking the jobs that the Mexicans now do? Because if it's only good jobs they want, meaning the jobs that American borns now have, there won't be enough of those jobs available for our expanded workforce.

5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or we develop new kinds of employment, new industries, etc.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feinstein has a challenger. A Latino who is the state senate president pro tem.

But I didn’t realize Cali is one of those ********tard state with a jungle primary. So it may not be possible for him to beat her.

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Might end up paying USMericans - gasp - welfare...just to subsist in the new economy. Whatever that economy turns out to be.

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not welfare if it's for people we like. It's "aid to the poor."

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Uh-huh.

The jobs 30 years from now will be like today's jobs, only more so. Most positions being low-cost service jobs, whereby the 90% address the needs of the 10%.

I guess that the oldsters can become valets. That might work.

10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This pessimism wouldn't be because Chicago might get overtaken by Columbus next week, would it? :D

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That would indeed be reason for gloom. But no, this pessimism arises from other sources.

12. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are called airlines. And not just employee satisfaction. Customer satisfaction is a doormat too.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because we the consumer care more about lower cost flights than costumer satisfaction.

The Airlines react to what the consumers tell them with their shopping power.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny/irony that the rep when I was in Memphis (Steve Cohen) is in his 70s, and I met him a couple of times, once when he was giving a scheduled speech (set up weeks in advance). I really thought it was time for him to retire after hearing that rambling speech.

And my current rep is even older, though Republican. Honestly, they both should go to bring in new blood to government. It is what keeps us going forward.

Deadtigers and American Brummie repped this.
  15. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except consumers don't really have a choice. There isn't a viable alternative to air travel.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Or is there?

Marge_vs._the_Monorail_(promo_card).png

ElJefe and Boloni86 repped this.
  17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Low blow?

Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Columbus isn't big enough for an MLS city anyway.

Don't ask your frat bros to deport me, tho- I cheered as hard against the darky Trinis as hard as I could

19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Do you mean Austin? :D

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should check out how big Austin is.

22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I considered taking the Springfield monorail to Seattle... it was cost prohibitive.

Deadtigers and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    While I'd rather kick at Crew fans when they're down*, it's far from the smallest MLS city:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

Loos like it would be Salt Lake.

*Just kidding: losing your team sucks.

Deadtigers and American Brummie repped this.
  24. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #99 Q*bert Jones III, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    I'm stuck at work. Which means you guys are in for it. To wit:

As @Boloni86 has persuasively argued, the Left needs to focus on more than being Not Trump. We should aim high. We can begin by embracing Trickle Up Theory, which is at least as plausible as Trickle Down Theory, an historical myth of zero relevance to the modern world, like ether or the NASL.

The Left should be proactive and if we have to compromise, at least we start from a position of aggresivity, not hoping for a nil-nil draw.

Income Inequality: This should be the rallying cry for Democrats. From an electoral standpoint, it's a winner. From a policy standpoint, it's a winner. So let's change how our taxes get redistributed. For personal income taxes, the USA taxes every shekel that an American citizen earns, no matter where they live or earn that money. There is zero reason why we can't do the same thing for corporations doing business in America, which take advantage of all that this country offers and often give nothing back in return. Furthermore, it's absolutely asinine that we don't tax income the way we tax earnings. Further furthermore, capping SS taxes at $105,000 is class warfare, plain and simple. Now take all that money and spend it on...

UBI: This is where we are headed. Let's embrace it now. It'll open up opportunities for all and drive our economy with innovation, not to mention immense consumer spending unseen since 1945. Even some Republicans will get on board when we say we'll end welfare and food stamps and social security and all the other stuff we're currently giving to the swarthies. Just give everyone a living wage and watch the spending fly through the roof. Simple. :D:D:D

Environment/Climate: This goes hand in hand with income inequality. We should be hiring at least one million people in a massive mobilization to bolster our defense against climate change. The cost will be offset when the next hurricane doesn't utterly destroy some coastal city and also by the massive consumer spending that would result from having a million people instantly getting good jobs. In the longer term, to ameliorate the problem, I like this conservative think tank's idea: Tax carbon, give dividends to people and businesses that don't use their allotment, and do the same thing with carbon crossing borders to discourage international free riding. This is good policy and good electoral policy

Social Justice. This is in our DNA. It may be bad electoral strategy but it is the right thing to do and history will judge us poorly if we don't embrace it.

Medicare For All: Welcome to the 20th Century.

Electoral reform: This is the hardest part, IMO, and makes all the other stuff impossible because our politics is thoroughly ruined with money and lies. I don't have any idea how to fix this. Sorry. Maybe ask Laurence Lessig what he thinks??? :D

See? Easy-peasy lemon squeezy.

25. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Excellent choice....Laurence Lessig along with Toby Ziegler helped the Belarusians write their Constitution. :thumbsup:

upload_2017-10-17_19-7-27.jpeg

Deadtigers, Moishe and Dr. Wankler repped this.