The age of the Minivan

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Lizzie Bee, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Same here :) Are minivans a big deal in Germany?

2. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Depends on how you define minivan. The Chrysler Voyager is by far the most popular American car here I think, but either smaller minivans or real vans are more popular.
    Some examples of smaller ones:
    Volkswagen Touran:

[​IMG]

Volkswagen Sharan:

[​IMG]
    (...)

3. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And a bigger one:
    Volkswagen Eurovan:

[​IMG]

I took Volkswagen as an example, many European carmakers produce similair cars, for example Ford or Renault.
    The Touran is considered a compact MPV and gained huge success in the last years.
    Europeans cars tend to be smaller, and minivans are no example. The VW Eurovan would be big enough to be sold in the US as a big minivan (or small van, somewhere inbetween), but is produced in germany and therefore to expensive to compete. VW is going to develop a minivan suited for the North American car in cooperation with Chrysler, as they announced a few months ago.

I think stationwaggons still are more popular here as family cars. They look more trendy than the American counterparts I think, so they are not really limited to soccer mom's (or the European equivalent). On the opposite, Notchback cars are often considered as something for 'elderly men who wear hats'.

4. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had two minivans, then my wife fell in love with a Ford Explorer. While it sucks in gas around the town, it feels like driving a tank. And she finds it much easier to pack groceries in than a minivan.

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all are welcome. big kids, skinny kids. even kids with chicken pox.

6. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I think if my folks can travel cross country in a pinto with 2 kids my wife and I have no need for a mini-van.

7. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I grew up in a family of 4 children and a dog that frequently traveled with us. The dog had to have the seat behind the driver. Or, in our station wagon, we would leave a place for her behind the backseat on the driver side. We usually had three in front seat and three in the backseat, with the person sitting in front of the dog having to deal with her drooling on you the entire trip. When my dad got a wagon with a seat in the back of the wagon, I moved back there. Privacy and more room. Since I never had a problem with car sickness, it worked out fine for me.

At one point we had a some kind of Ford sedan that was minus its backseat due to a carelessly discarded cigarette catching the seat on fire. That was pretty awesome in terms of space. We threw blankets and pillows back there and had a great time riding around in the back of the car. We kids were bummed when the seat was replaced.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    could you imagine doing that now? I mean, back then it was OK. now you'd be strung up on child abuse charges or something. ahhh, the good old days when your dad's arm was the only seatbelt you needed.

9. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We bought a Kia Sedona last May and I love it. Previously we had a Chrysler T&C but I hated it. Had a lot of mechanical issues. But this Kia is great. I like the automatic doors, plus it is roomy and solid. Only paid $24K for the top version which included leather, dvd/video etc.

10. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does the word Kia mean Father Ted? $24 for the top version seems to indicate that Kia must mean 'plastic frame' in Korean or something similar... does it come with a helmet? I've seen them around town... too small.... but I guess if you like it that's what is important....

11. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ITN, you're embarassing. Stop posting.

I guess if you like quality, it is important.

2006 Kia Sedona LX comes with...
    • $1500 more value new, despite costing only $500 more than the Dodge Caravan SXT
    • 64 more HP and 43 more ft-lbs of torque than the Caravan
    • Double overhead cam, compared to the SOC on the Caravan
    • 2 extra valves per cyl. 24 valves compared to the Caravan's 12
    • Exact same crash-test ratings as Caravan [except for being 5 stars in the front rating, to the Caravan's 4]
    • More headroom, legroom and shoulderroom than the Dodge
    • Better warranty in all areas, basic, powertrain and corrosion
    • 4wheel ABS [you have to pay extra for that in the Caravan]
    • Folding rear seat standard [you have to pay extra for that in the Caravan]
    • Full-size spare [compared to the dinky donut on the Caravan]
    • Steel wheels [compared to the aluminum on the Caravan - which lose air through the seals in cold weather]
    • Higher fuel capacity
    • Oh and buyer incentives [Dodge Carvan has none] Buyer Incentives

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree on all points in the above post. we just bought a new car (my last one was totaled on the freeway in a wreck I walked away from last week) and the Kia scored very favorably in all the criteria we were looking at. except one: no dealer close by and I wasn't feeling like driving that far to buy it and have it serviced, etc.

but they seem like good cars. they certainly aren't a yugo or a geo, which is what the previous poster was getting at. I read alot of good things about Kia, not just the sedona.

13. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twenty26Six: You familiar with the historical term SnakeOil Salesman?
    As I said, if your family van choice is Kia and if you are happy with Kia then by all means treat your family to Kia, have your kids buy Kia and recommend them highly... I remain suspicious how Kia offers all those options you elaborated on while keeping the base price what it is.... seems very fishy to me.... I don't know much about the Kia but I do know quite a bit about Dodge... unknown quantity versus known quantity... We experimented a while back with an unknown television (some Asian manufacturer) that was half the price of normal brand... television shut off by itself after about a month and hasn't worked since... I should have known better....

With a family minivan I am not sure I would want to risk family's security on a vehicle I am unfamiliar with...But again, Twenty26Six, if you are happy with Kia then God bless you... I remain suspicious...

14. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr112106.html

15. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that smells fishy is you asking for God to bless me. When all you seem to do is push your half-wit opinions on us with nothing but empty cliches. But it is ok, your opinion matters about as much to me as it does to God.

Go back to trolling the politics boards because you're not winning any arguments here. Basically that is all you are here to do anyway, argue. Ask yourself, WWJD? He would probably stop posting.

Edit: Thanks for the negative rep. At least you can be secure in the knowledge that everyone is persecuting you. I'm sure that keeps you going on the all too frequent days when you say something ignorant and get laughed at.

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    see, there's the issue. 1. you're not familiar with it, he is. 2. you're suspicious, he went and found out facts before spouting off. 3. you continue to be an idiot.

are you seriously suggesting somebody on here doesn't care about the safety of their family?

17. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Didn't Jesus preach that one should focus on quality and not blind faith?

18. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. You see, I'm not privy to the great secrets of God. But then again, I'm not an enthusiastic Lemming.

19. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why resist the minivan?

They are so convinient.

I'm 32 and have driven a minivan for 3 years (because of my 2 kids), I don't understand the whole minivan stigma. When I was deciding between an SUV and minivan I test drove a LandRover for about a month and it really didn't work as well as the van. An SUV is just a gas guzzling oversized car.

20. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Ok, I realize this is an old topic, but hey, it's on the first page ;)

I fought the mini-van move, we looked at and test drove lots of SUVs at the time and decided for the price, gas mileage and mostly the space and inside comfort, we went with a mini-van. Honda Odysse

I absolutely LOVED it. Easy for the kids to get in/out, comfortable, decent gas mileage and best of all could pack alot of stuff into it, heck we even picked up a riding lawn mower with it, folded down the back seat, took out the middle row and drove the mower right it. Fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in there, hauled alot of firewood (more than the suspension was probably happy about). Took Wife, both kids and each kid brough a friend, to a REvolution game in comfort.

Never had a mechanical problem in 135,000 miles. I miss it.

21. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the input. Despite this being an "old" topic, it is a timely one for me since we are probably going to be making the leap any week now. My husband's commutermobile is on its last legs (and we won't miss it) so we're going to be upgrading the fam to a minivan so that he can drive the Toyota Camry (which I will miss when we make the change).

I think that we've probably ruled out everything but the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna. (Paging "Made in America" afficionados.) That is, unless we find a killer deal on a large SUV like the Toyota Sequoia. The gas mileage would be a killer, but I'd probably overlook that...

Anyway, when the new baby (minivan) arrives, I'll take some pics and post them here so you can all Oooh and Aaah. Or maybe not.

22. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From all I have read and understand. Honda Odyssey is one of, if not, the best. Toyota canit be far behind though.

23. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the Sienna pulled ahead this year in Consumer Reports. Or maybe I have that wrong. Doesn't matter to me, though--I'm buying used, not new. :D

24. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isn't the chrysler minivan supposed to be pretty good.
    i know that consumer reports recommends every honda product (and none of the benz's ... just read that somewhere else). can't go wrong with a honda. we just bought the CR-V before christmas.

25. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a weekend of test drives, I'm in love with the Sienna. The Odyssey is great and we found a fully decked out one for a great price, but ... it all comes down to the 60/40 split for me.

I have three kids. If I buy an older Odyssey, the entire backseat goes down as one piece which leaves only two seats for kids. So if I go shopping for a larger item, I have to leave the kids at home. That's not practical usually. In the Sienna, I can fold down one or two seats (or all three) and have space left to put a kiddo in the third row still. Much more realistic for my family. Also much more practical for family vacations. Fold down one seat and put the cooler next to our oldest son in the back seat... Etc.

So now I'm looking at a nice 2004 XLE that is a few hundred miles away from here. I'm nervous about this, but I have a sister who lives in the area and could go check it out for me. It's a Toyota Certified car at a dealership which adds a little more peace of mind. Anybody else bought a car via eBay or some other method (mine is just on AutoTrader, not eBay) where you didn't actually see it before purchase?