The 2021 U-20 Qualifying Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Peretz48, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Despite my comment being more than half tongue in cheek (by the way Tsakiris has a better job than GU-11 - he’s technical director of an academy in N Cali), I don’t think the issue is overblown at all. If anything it is downplayed by everyone but a tiny segment of us BS bastards. Other posters have commented far more eloquently than I on the repercussions of this policy. IIRC, Gardner or somebody reported than many of the vacancies were directly due to the Chicago edict.

Patrick167 repped this.
  2. BigBirdLenny

BigBirdLenny New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And I try to model my physique after Ronaldo, but I hope you’re right and Hudson is more successful than I at achieving his goals given a competitive pool of players.

largegarlic and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Original one?

Eighteen Alpha and BigBirdLenny repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

5. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Was the interview done in English? If so, how was his English?

I’m not trying to turn this into a political discussion, but I’m always curious how well these dual-nationals speak English because I think it says something about their commitment to playing for the USA. I tend to think the ones that don’t speak English well will end up not playing for the USA. They don’t all have to be native speakers, but do they speak English at home? Do they follow American culture? Can they communicate well at a US camp with their teammates?

STANDFAST repped this.
  8. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    It says nothing about their commitment or lack thereof. Most of the non-English speaking Latinos I know have a higher regard for the US and a greater knowledge of its history and culture than a great number of Americans I know.
    Having said that, I was also interested in whether Brian used an interpreter or not. Arch Bell (sans Drells) interviewed him in Spanish but thought he understood English.

ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think you are ignoring that it’s a lot more difficult to play for the USMNT without speaking English. It could probably be done, but if you can’t communicate with most of your teammates and if you can’t take coaching instructions in the language the team works in, its likely you will not be very likely to pick the USMNT if you have a choice between USA and Argentina. Practically speaking, why would you make your international career that much more difficult?

I remember reading that Siebetcheu didn’t speak English, and I don’t think it’s a surprise that the USA looks to be third on his list after France and Cameroon. If he doesn’t speak English, I’m not criticizing him, nor saying he’s not entitled to feel patriotism towards the USA. My point is that if this kid doesn’t speak the language, I don’t think it’s very likely he’ll end up representing us. I could be wrong, but that’s what I think based on previous dual-nats in a situation like that. I asked because I want to inform myself on what I should think about how likely he’ll represent the USA, I don’t care, in the grand scheme of things, whether he speaks the language well. It doesn’t make him a good or bad kid, if he does or doesn’t.

10. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I’m not ignoring the point but it doesn’t speak to an individual’s commitment at all. I happen to think US citizens should learn English but in a country with as many Spanish speakers as we have, And their relative love of the game compared to most Americans, I think the ability to understand instructions falls as much or more on the staff as the player. By all accounts, Hudson speaks Spanish so it shouldn’t be an issue.

Winoman repped this.
  11. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To you and @ussoccer97531

The funny thing is that I used Arch Bell to interpret the interview. Arch was the first real friend I ever made in this business and we go a long ways back (I tweeted this out last night).

Matko's English isn't great.

12. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Siebatcheu has more issues beyond speaking English and facing a decision over which national team to represent. Namely, he has to be better to earn a call-up from any of them. He's put up poor numbers since moving out of Ligue 2 two years ago.

13. BigBirdLenny

BigBirdLenny New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hah! After about a decade in a desk job, I would take any Ronaldo physique that’s post-pubescent.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

So I now count at least 22 pros as of one "full" camp under Hudson and one transitional one, totaling 36 players.

In the 2009 cycle under Rongen I count 24 pros (out of 84 players called up) throughout the entire cycle. Granted, that did not turn out to be an exceptional pool of players.

Pl@ymaker and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  15. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next step will most likely happen next cycle where we won't have a player on a roster who even played in college. The 03-05 pool is ridiculously deep that it is not unrealistic to see an entire cycle of guys who did not play college soccer at some point. The first and second string roster for the 01 cycle does not have a player who will play in college at all unless you throw Tanner Tessmann in there who in my opinion doesn't really count because he's going because of a personal history with Dabo and if he wanted to could have signed for FC Dallas by now.

16. SoccerLover829

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 21, 2018
    Any Update on the U20 Camp games?

17. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the FMF the first one is tomorrow (Thursday) at 3 eastern and the second one Saturday at 3 eastern..

Pl@ymaker and ckajMonet repped this.
  18. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    why cant they stream stuff like this? they need to look up goodwill in the dictionary

20. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    At least they could upload the highlights to YouTube, but they don't even do it anymore.

21. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    2-0 at HT

22. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They couldn't hire a camera guy since none of them wanted to relocate to Chicago...

23. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bassett has been a goal machine for the u20's at the start of the cycle. In the previous camp he scored the majority of goals as well. Even though he plays for a lower level MLS team he's turning into quite the prospect.

gogorath repped this.
  24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    this end 2-0?

25. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Stream? Wtf? They need to walk before they can run. At this point, I’d take a simple tweet that gives a line up and updates during the match. We can’t even get that from our own Fed.

eliwood, Winoman, Eighteen Alpha and 3 others repped this.