The 2020 Election Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a little of both, she does not like fanatical Muslims (who does?) she did not want to risk the lives of American soldiers to fight them in Syria, but was happy if the Russians did the job.

Now the fact that Assad and Russia were mostly killing regular conservative Muslims and letting the Fanatical Muslims alone (mostly), that gets lost in her narrative.

2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Assad and Russia were killing the enemies of the Assad regime, which included IS, Al Nusra, and Al Qaeda. Assad took the further step of terrorizing cities that didn't willingly give up the members of said groups among them (knowing full well, probably, that group snitching is hard to pull off and dangerous for everyone).

Turkey, Israel, Saudi Arabia, the US, Qatar, and others supported IS and Al Nusra and AQ to the extent that they sought to overturn the Assad regime. In the case of Israel, this meant medically assisting fighters who were their "sworn enemies" so that they could continue to hold the southern routes into Damascus and deny the Assad regime and Lebanese allies that territory as a buffer.

Russia has a long-time strategic naval base (and it turns out, air force bases) in Syria, near these contested areas. It's apparently shocking that the Russians should get involved in their near-abroad to secure strategic assets on the Med.

Moishe and Boloni86 repped this.
  3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, but as somebody else said somewhere, the Kremlin is taking the anti-War movement and sowing discord with it.

Yup. And the Dutch caught on in 2017 (?) to this as well.
    There is also some interesting analysis from the Brexit campaign on how Russia's tactics really are what allowed the vote to pass.

I don't say these people are all paid by Putin (although Banks likely was) - i am saying they are exploited because they are useful [/quote]
    I say an "agent of influence" is a better overall term than "Russian agent" unless there is some fairly clear corrupting, such as with Flynn and Stein.

Well, there are different aspects.
    1. There is the person/group which is uber-wealthy, who is concerned about what they do with that wealth.
    2. There is the person/group which is only concerned about being uber-wealthy, full stop.
    3. There is the person who is concerned about political power for the sake of politics
    4. There is the person who is concerned about political power for power sake.

There is some overlap there, certainly. But when we look at Apple or Google, they are in group 1. When we look at Individual One, he is in group 2. When we look at the NRA, they are group 4. The side effect of group 4, though, is a clear overlap with group 2.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    But wait: There's one representative of the Woo Woo --American community you left off.

Marianne Williamson.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/23/marianne-williamson-debates-2020-election-1341670

Marianne Williamson, a self-help author and failed congressional candidate running an upstart campaign for president, is virtually ensured a spot in the first series of Democratic debates next month.

Williamson has met both thresholds of the Democratic National Committee’s criteria for qualifying for the debates: polling and fundraising. That’s after a Monmouth University poll released Thursday showed her at 1 percent — the third poll to do so this year, meeting the DNC’s low bar for qualification.

Williamson, a friend of Oprah Winfrey and a spirituality guru, has centered her campaign on a theme of love.

“We have someone … [who] has harnessed fear, racism, bigotry, anti-Semitism, some of the worst faces of the human character for political purposes,” Williamson recently told Time magazine. “There is only one way to override that, and that is to harness love, decency, compassion, forgiveness, and mercy, love for each other and love for our country, and love for our unborn great grandchildren. We need to harness that for political purposes.”​

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dapip repped this.
  6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and half will make the first debate :whistling:

7. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And still CA is already mobilizing against “insurgent candidates?”

-thread

https://twitter.com/fiorella_im/status/1132971478721282050?s=21

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source that....not a twitter feed, but actual news.

Like this:
    https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article161455553.html

Top officials in the Democratic National Committee are worried about a sudden drop in voter registrations in Colorado, concerned that President Donald Trump’s new election commission is encouraging Democrats across the country to remove themselves from the electoral grid for fear of revealing personal information to the GOP leadership.

Led by DNC Chairman Tom Perez, they’ve begun an effort — in conjunction with the Colorado Democratic Party — to persuade other members of the party’s rank-and-file to stay registered.

“If you unregister, you are giving a victory to proponents of voter suppression,” Perez said in an interview with McClatchy.

ceezmad, Dr. Wankler and sitruc repped this.
  9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The enemy is always the Dem Party. Burn it all down. Despite what we have seen, if people hear Bernie their minds will change and they will vote for him. If this was as effective as these people hope, why is Vfish still who he is?

sitruc repped this.
  10. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What?

I put a question mark at the end of my comment. [emoji2369]

Anywho, I hesitated to put the whole thread there because she comes across as unhinged towards the end. [emoji23]

That narrative is out there though. IJS

11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    It is always out there. There are people on the left like our own Macedonian Frank that believe that the Dem Party is the problem. This same country that elected Trump, where 56 percent of white women chose Donald F-ing Trump but the party is the problem.

fatbastard, song219, charlie15 and 2 others repped this.
  12. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I still begrudge folks that don’t show up to vote, I mean the ones that JDGAF

charlie15 repped this.
  13. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Massive claim there. I won't give it my time until it's backed up by more than rando Twitter girl though.

Boloni86, Deadtigers, ceezmad and 2 others repped this.
  14. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

I don't understand the claim here. The Democratic Party can't "unregister" voters. Voter registration is controlled by the Registrar in each of the individual counties.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    SpencerNY, Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And looking through the feed the good Doctor posted, she's made the accusation before without sourcing.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So no link to the accusations, this is very Trump like, this is like "many people are saying".

18. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Why are people giving so much time to something that is obviously false.

By the way you are all invited to my winter home on Titan.

19. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Where is your summer home? On Venus?

20. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    That's a little too hot. My summer home is on Mercury.

Deadtigers repped this.
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as is not in Uranus.

chaski, dapip, ElJefe and 3 others repped this.
  22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the proper response to find out the actual truth, and then either debunk or amplify the narrative.
    And I was going to make that point but you beat me to it.

Some rando makes an accusation that is literally illegal/impossible, and now we have to deal with a narrative that's "out there."

This strain of Berniebroism is the flip side of Trump on twitter. It's Minitru crap.

sitruc, Dr. Wankler and dapip repped this.
  23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Too much dark matter and erupting methane.

soccernutter, dapip and song219 repped this.
  24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet, that doesn't stop Democrats from accusing Republicans of purging the voter rolls of Democrats. ;)

Not that I believe this certain accusation, but I believe the argument is that an "establishment Democrat" is California's Secretary of State and is in the process of removing Bernie voters. California does have a policy that automatically removes a voter if they haven't voted in a certain number of general elections. I'm not sure what that number is, or what the process is, but if a Bernie voter registered to vote in California, voted in the primary, then failed to vote again until now, it could be possible that their registration is in the process of being cancelled?

25. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Instantly recognizable as a Russian bot. The Facebook profile is actually really lazy and a lot more obvious.

Deadtigers repped this.