The 2020 Election Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Lol legit excited for the start of the Berhalter era.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    You do understand that this is how it works. Loopholes are exploited or technological advancements happen and the law has to catch up with them as they did in the Microsoft case. If a Real Estate company providing broker services, mortgage, insurance and title services and became as dominant as Google, using the same tactics, we would have done something, years ago. But most barrier to entry laws are kind of built around brick and mortar. That was what made the Microsoft case unique and technological bundling the first time it was looked at.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think it's you who doesn't understand how it works.

A demagogue picks a group that is unpopular among some people - in this case successful corporations from the Silicon Valley - and starts attacking them for political gain. The demagogue irresponsibly throws names of several businesses - Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook etc. - that are all in different situations, but meet the same criteria of being successful and resented by many, and the demagogue declares them guilty of evil in general terms, without proof or due process, and the people respond with hate.

I've seen this movie, I grew up watching politicians in Argentina rail against the foreign multinationals that were guilty of coming to Argentina and providing jobs, accusing them of wrong doing, blaming them for the nation's problems and so on. The net result was an unhealthy increase of anger and anti-business sentiment among the masses. This resulted in violence, for example hateful people throwing rocks at the employees of successful businesses like Bunge y Born and Siemens. Eventually it led to the government appropriating foreign corporations and running them to the ground, while enriching themselves in the process, while the masses praised them for doing it.

Sure, you don't think this will happen in America, and I doubt it would get that far here, but this is how it starts. We don't need more of this shit, we already got Trump, and that should be warning enough.

By all means, let the courts deal with any possible impropriety by any company, large or small. But when you start to irresponsibly use the bully pulpit to attack a whole category of businesses for political gain, I begin to get concerned.

DoyleG repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that what is happening here right now by Trump?

Except that instead of business it is Muslims and Immigrants.

In the past and in local elections it has been black people.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Trump harasses businesses - GM, CNN come to mind.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exactly. While I still believe American democratic values and institutions are stronger than in other places, they are nevertheless vulnerable. I learned that Americans have a blind spot when it comes to demagoguery, and that’s how we ended up with Trump. Of course, it’s a lot easier for some to spot the demagoguery when it comes from the other side, not as easy when it comes from something that resonates with them. Racism and xenophobia are poison in a society, and so is socio-economic related hatred.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Not quite the same as Sanders going to a Black church in Charleston, South Carolina and only about 37 black people were in the crowd of 1600.

bigredfutbol and Deadtigers repped this.
  8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    You can't make fun of Bernie.

9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We are all shaped by our experiences so, I will respect and acknowledge what you learned from it, but you are applying that lesson wrongly.

1) Trump's attacks on GM and Boeing (AF1) plus his involvement in Carrier is of greater concern.

2) The US has never taken over businesses, it has always been breaking them up, then they find a way to reunite years later like AT&T.

3) These businesses have abused their power and created more dominance and used it as a weapon.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Trump is a shameless demagogue, of course, and yes, he is of greater concern, since unfortunately he happens to be our president.

But I am not sure I understand what your own standards are when it comes to abuse of power. Are you actually comparing what Boeing did with whatever companies like Amazon presumably may have done?

Boeing appears to be guilty of criminal negligence, as they are said by their own employees to have rushed their production while ignoring safety protocol in order to beat Airbus to the punch, and now people are dead because of it. Meanwhile, Amazon apparently is guilty of the crime of giving working people conveniently delivered products at reasonable prices. Which one bothers you more?

And btw, Trump also attacked Amazon. It seems like demagogues think alike.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pro-tip: you and appoo can write this as many times as you want, and you’ll still be wrong.

The question is, at what point does ignoring well mannered corrections to your mistakes change from naïveté to trolling? Y’all are close if not there.

THE ISSUE IS HOW THESE COMPANIES LEVERAGE THEIR DOMINANCE INTO OTHER AREAS.

flowergirl and sitruc repped this.
  12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sounds like you already made up your mind about all these companies, and yet you are a poster with a particular point of view, not a judge.

It’s unfortunate that if populist politicians like Warren have their way and look to disrupt all these hight tech companies, it will be the working class that will end up suffering the consequences of higher costs for products and services. None of these companies is anything like AT&T was.

It is also unfortunate that posters who lightly and often accuse those who don’t agree with them of trolling tend to lose their credibility.

13. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Trump attacked Boeing about the cost of AF1 or something like that and Boeing's stock dropped immediately. Trump attacks Amazon because of the Washington Post and that they don't kiss his ass.

Sorry, what would like me to clarify about abuse of power?

14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    That is all nice and we'll but again, if River Plate real estate sold homes and there was Newell's old Boys home insurance company. In order for NOB to sell insurance to a RP customer, NOB had to be open to have RP employee work for them to understand their process. 2 years late RP launches an insurance company that makes it a 2 for 1 for RP real estate users. Buy with RP and we automatically process your insurance with our insurance dept. NOB is now frozen out.

It is something on this level we are talking about. You wax poetically about demagogues and the poor people but you have not actually answered why it is OK for a RP real estate company to do that. So please explain why you support the unnatural suppression of competition and blocking entry into a market?

15. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There's a happy medium IMO between doing nothing and doing what Warrren has proposed, which is breaking up the tech companies altogether. That is to strengthen and enforce anti-trust law.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1466 superdave, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019

The Buttigieg backlash has begun.

I have not.

I have made up my mind that the criticisms of those companies are not what you say they are, because I'm reading the posts.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Amazon only did this, Jeff Bezos would not have more money than God, because the margins on this part of their business are razor-thin. And no one would be talking about breaking them up.

flowergirl repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A story on how the Europeans are handling the big tech companies.

Regarding data collection, the big problem, we the people say one thing, but do another.

https://www.economist.com/briefing/...-competition-and-privacy-concerns-in-brussels

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apple is slightly different since they operate more as a club than going after the whole market.

But soon, you will be able to get everything you may want from this club, why try anything else.

https://www.economist.com/business/...e-bets-on-video-gaming-news-and-a-credit-card

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The mayor of Miramar Florida is running.

21. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Florida Man.

Dr. Wankler, sitruc and song219 repped this.
  22. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My husband got me one of those for my birthday before last and is miffed that I haven't sent it in yet. I'm just not super comfortable with a random company having my DNA.

23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    National Geographic does a version and I thought I might be more comfortable with them having this information but I've realized I don't know what portions of National Geographic are owned by Fox.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warren has a plan to break up agricultural monopolies and benefit family farms.

I’m much more a fan of hers now than I was 6 weeks ago.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree or disagree with her ideas, she doe she work and put out policies for us to see (and ignore).

Deadtigers repped this.