The 2020 Election Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm curious what you've seen from Biden that indicates the kind of bold truth-telling on the link between Trump voters and racism you crave.

rich loc, luftmensch and Boandlkramer repped this.
  2. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He’s middle of the road...so we can pull in all those POS fence riders that voted for trump rather than keep the ones really invested in a candidate voting....

#becausePragmatic

rich loc and charlie15 repped this.
  3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mate, there is a reason that AA support Biden overwhelmingly. We know our allies. Bernie only "claim of fame" with POC was that he arrested in the 60's. The next time Bernie mentions racism as a main factor in Trump's election will likely be the first time.

And as @Boandlkramer mentioned, #becausePragmatic.

4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If we're gonna deride Bernie for not mentioning racism as a main factor in Trump's election, we should at least be consistent and deride basically the whole field, including Biden, because they have ALL pussy-footed around the issue as best I understand it.

EDIT: And as best I can tell, Biden's claim to fame with POC is that he was Barack Obama's vice-president. He didn't have anywhere close to this kind of African--American support in 2008 IIRC.

5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So AA are supporting Biden just because he was Obama VP, not because they trurst him and he has been on our side for decades...Got it. I guess you are not trying to be condescending either. o_O

6. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    • Biden wrote the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, which had a disproportionate impact on minorities
    • Biden sponsored and co-wrote the Anti-Drug Abuse Act which caused a large disparity between the sentencing of crack cocaine and powder cocaine users. Black drug users were more likely than whites to use crack and hence were incarcerated in larger numbers.
    • Biden advocated for increased use of civil asset forfeiture by law enforcement agencies, introducing the Comprehensive Forfeiture Act in 1983 which had a disproportionate impact on minorities
    • Opposed busing in Delaware in the 1970s. Actively courted pro-segregation senators to support the legislation
    • Fought to pass “welfare reform” that reduced financial support for low-income families, used Reagan’s dishonest “welfare queen” language.
    • Worked with senators like Mississippi’s James Eastland, a virulent racist who openly supported segregation and called African Americans “an inferior race.” After saying that he disagreed with the ideologies of people like Eastland, Biden told an audience at a June 18 fundraiser that during their time serving together in the Senate, “at least there was some civility.” He added that Eastland “never called me boy, he always called me son.”
    • Biden eulogized Strom Thurmond, who began his long political career as a segregationist.
    • Against marijuana legalization which again impacts minorities disproportionally.
    Obama didn't select Biden to be his VP because they held similar views or because Biden had a long history of helping Africans-Americans but to assure racist whites.

7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What a load of garbage coming straight out the Bernie cult. Not dissimilar to the doctored video being disseminated this week by Bernie campaign guru and hack David Sirota. No surprise that despite being on the scene for 50 years and running for president for the last 6 years, the AA community doesn't trust Bernie and his Bros.
    I supported Bernie in 2016 but the level of toxicity of his campaign is simply abhorrent. You guys are really that clueless? Based on your comments, AA are supporting Biden and not black candidates like Harris or Booker because we want to assure racists whites?. This level of condescension is simply mind boggling.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Where was this massive support for Biden among AAs in 08 then?! Or in the 80s? The only thing that he's done since 08 is be Obama's VP. I'm not sure what other conclusion there is to draw here. It's not like the track record as a senator is anywhere close to beyond reproach as far as being positive for minorities.

Walia Ibex and Moishe repped this.
  9. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The dude is Mr Focking McGoo.....

I’ll vote for whoever get the D-Nom, but let’s be honest with ourselves.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  10. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will vote for whoever get the D-Nom but let's be honest with ourselves, Bernie will lose against El Douche. The R's are salivating at the idea of running against him. They have so much material and oppo research against him already. No surprise that the likes of noted liberal Hugh Hewitt are planning to vote for him in the primaries.

11. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's been my feeling since the last election, they'd be itching to have an old commie Jew as an opponent.

12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again the condescension..... You guys need to stop. If you think AA are supporting Biden simply because he was Obama VP, you are really have no idea. Google is your friend....I can guarantee you you will find plenty of solid articles and analysis explaining that support.

13. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    WTF is “AA” [emoji23]

14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Airlines....:cautious:

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do you have an analysis or article you think explains it? It's not my goal to be condescending, I genuinely don't know. It's a hypothesis formulated by the sudden surge relative to 08.

charlie15 repped this.
  16. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a lot of good ones online. 08 is not a good marker since you had Clinton (even more popular with the AA community) and Obama.
    The general rationales go along those lines:
    - Familiarity. Joe has been very close to that community for ages now and had strong bonds with it. They see him as authentic. This is not a fiction either, Joe has been a fixture in the community.
    - Over 1/2 of AA voters identify themselves moderate /conservative, hence they see themselves more aligned with Biden than Warren or Sanders (besides the fact that Sanders has never been close to them).
    - Pragmatism. Black people know they have most to lose. They also know that change, in the US, is often achieved incrementally. They have scanned the field and have concluded that Biden give them the best chance to get rid of this clown. Does not hurt either that they like Joe and see him as an ally.
    - Obama (pretty much self explanatory).

Good article from the Atlantic, NYTimes and Salon.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/06/why-black-voters-will-vote-biden/592573/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/15/us/politics/joe-biden-black-voters.html

https://www.salon.com/2019/09/04/bl...be-the-partys-next-presidential-nominee-poll/

17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What a load. The GOP is the white party in the rural Confederacy, Democrats are the black party. That is it. Nothing else matters, notthis policy or that, not this candidate or that. Bernie can do no more or less than the people he criticizes to change that.

I really dislike when these outsiders act as if entrenched issues are easy to resolve. People believing such fairytales got us Trump.

Walia Ibex and charlie15 repped this.
  19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Don't you know what anonymous means?

song219 and JohnR repped this.
  20. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I understand why the Bernie Bros were so agitated this past week end.

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Klobuchar making a bit of noise, after nothing for so many months. This poll plus the NYT endorsement. Still a long-shot outsider but I think no longer a no shot.

charlie15 repped this.
  22. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I could live with Klobuchar, but she's definitely a long shot.

23. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a case of too little, too late for her....

Walia Ibex repped this.
  24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The New York Times co-endorsed Warren and Klobuchar and said "let the best woman win."

I want a Democrat other than Sanders. Without having researched everybody in detail, my preference might be Klobuchar.

25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am cracking up....A Twitter thread on names describing the Richmond protesters.

Dollar Store Daesh
    Y’all Qaeda
    Hillbilly Hamas
    Vanilla ISIS
    Meal Team Six
    The Daddy Issues Army.
    Yokel Haram

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Walia Ibex and Boandlkramer repped this.