The 2020 Election Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope - he was on the Individual One bandwagon. And he was far more strict on immigration.

charlie15 repped this.
  2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can 100% vouch for this. I work in agriculture, and have done so for over 2 decades. Listening to farmers testify at hearings in a manner that exposes their right wing talking points in full view, while simultaneously employing a field full of undocumented immigrants has been one of the most frustrating and annoying things I have to suffer through. That, and crying that they don't get enough subsidies to run their businesses while simultaneously crying about the loss of personal and fiscal responsibility of others. Cognitive dissonance, indeed.

Capt.Tsubasa, sitruc, Deadtigers and 3 others repped this.
  3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    All I have ever asked of Republicans is that they live up their language about self-reliance and responsibility. No whining and complaining and moaning and blaming others. And then they elect Donald Trump.

Sigh. What's the point of Republicans who whine?

4. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Same reason my 3-year-old whines: Because someone told them something they didn't want to hear and they didn't get their way.

sitruc, superdave, Deadtigers and 3 others repped this.
  5. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I appreciate your type of dialogue. You seems a better debater compared to few crude individuals who I have been conversing around here. We may disagree but at least in a respectful manner.

6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you really believe "Iran Monitor II" was/is not on Individual oNE bandwagon?
    He said he didn't vote for HRC and he is openly supporting a war with Iran. That does not leave too many room for interpretation!

sitruc repped this.
  7. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Monitor was a good friend of mine. He was a lone wolf on Iranian threads and always had a habit of writing long essays and over analysing football. He was an outcast on Iranian football because of his views. He had so much time on his hand like myself in Uni days. Haven't seen him posting for a long time. How do you know him?

8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    What a curious post.

Deadtigers, sitruc, superdave and 5 others repped this.
  9. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understatement.....

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Was his name John Barron?

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several posts before he said that, I was thinking he did not vote for one of the two majors, or did not vote at all. That said, we can have our political views and beliefs, and our pick for President will never match every view or belief we have. For example, WTF did Obama not try and get the 42 words of war authorization removed? That is one of the biggest issues I have with his presidency, and I had hoped he would do. But there were so many other issues he showed he would push for, and do well for, that I would have voted for him even if he said he would not push for that change.

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is legendary/infamous in this parts for his pro-Iranian posts, and if IIRC, he also had occasional anti-Semitic posts.

Mind, when I did run into him on the football forums, not knowing Iranian football, I thought his posts were quite valuable. Yes, I did see some hyperbole (both good and bad), but it was still interesting to read.

13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much like a Trump nominee for a person cabinet member that steps down, the replacement is always worse than the original.

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was reading an article a few months ago that noted a big difference between the migrant workers today and the migrant workers from a few decades ago was that the ones today are staying here year round. The article speculated that it was due to how much more difficult it was to get across the border now. If someone goes back to their hometown between growing seasons, there's a good chance they wouldn't get back in the US and, if they did, it would be more expensive because they'd most likely have to pay a smuggler. Additionally, the type of jobs that they are working is changing. There are still a lot of farm workers, but they are also filling factory jobs, constructions jobs, maid/janitorial, etc, etc. Basically "manual labor" entry level jobs that there aren't enough legal residents to work.[/QUOTE]

Deadtigers and sitruc repped this.
  15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Prohibitions of all kinds produce all manner of unintended consequences.

Deadtigers repped this.
  16. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anti Semite or anti- Arab? Many Iranians have some anti-Arab views due to Iran-Iraq war and Iranian regime trying to replace Iranian culture and language with Arab/Islamic culture and Arabic language. Didn't know about his anti-semite (Jew/Arab) views.

He knew a great deal aboutI Iranianf specially records of past decades.

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Although this particular example of prohibition didn't have the support of both the Wobblies in the IWW and the racists in the KKK.

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Who should I call you then? Joneyd from The Young Turks? :whistling: I hope far left equal of trumpists never take the power because you will be embarressing and ruin Democratic Party forever.

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This is true. Immigration prohibition as it is now is not Progressive.

Though if you go back far enough...

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who?

21. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Whatever happened to IM? seems he is still posting about football

22. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #2772 +PL+, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    If you were referring to me. I refused to vote for Hillary because she didn't represented my view and it was a case of picking up between evil buffoon or less evil dishonest power hungry lady. (No one was my president) I simply stayed home and turned off TV. I liked Bernie.
    Cenk Uygur. This dude used to be far left winger.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [/QUOTE]
    While there are many changes, to me it really seemed to start with the change in the Clinton immigration policy in 1996. I had worked with several undocumented workers when I was living in LA, several of them who had said they crossed the border close to Tijuana or El Centro, not far from cities and major border checkpoints. But Clinton's policy changed that by increasing border patrols around the major checkpoints and cities and pushing immigration out into the more hostile areas. The death toll immediately increased, and from my experience, those already here in the US elected not to make the crossing (I actually worked with one woman who crossed 5 or 6 times in two years) in the early 1990s.

This is a pretty good series on the issue
    https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/projects/border-trilogy

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you are either White or you are wealthy (or both). The only people I know who were willing to not vote for Clinton because she was [insert negative] are either White (who wouldn't be directly harmed by the President) or Wealthy (if POC, they think their wealth isolated them from the racism) or both. But I'm not gonna rehash...

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    IM posted a lot during the World Cup. I expect we'll see him again in 2022.

I don't remember him ever being anti-semitic, unless being critical of Israel's West Bank policies constitutes anti-semitism. But he sure doesn't like the Saudis.

Deadtigers and superdave repped this.