The 2019 U-20 Qualifying Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #101 Sizmik, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Thats just happening, but at the same time bringing in a lot of those types will ruin chances for our youth. Look at Carletons situation with Atlanta United. Hes good enough to get minutes, hes not because they keep buying high profile SA players to fill that spot and keeping him a league below.....its counter productive unless you legit think that 24 year old player you brought in can make you a profit after a few years by selling him. But if you are that good, you probably arent coming to the MLS at 24.......i understand it, but its counter productive in developing American talent. Kids see a lot of US kids getting playing time in a professional setting they might stay. Right now they see the biggest youth names getting love in the Bundesliga, while they are sitting the bench in the MLS. EPB is a great example, kid is easily good enough to be starting for an MLS team, and Carleton should be getting minutes on the reg. They instead choose guys that are in their upper 20's

NYRB look to be the only team that actually believes the concept of develop and sell. Miazga, Adams will bring in some nice cash and they have a few others coming through the ranks....

2. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody keeping Carleton away from the lineup is in their upper 20s. Barco, their new signing, is only a year older than him. Guys like Barco, Villalba, and Almirón didn't exactly have a lack of interest from Europe when they signed in MLS. Other clubs, maybe, but not Atlanta. The one area where I'm agreeing with everybody, and where I had assumed Tata had learned from his past mistakes, is that squad rotation is a very good thing. If Carleton doesn't get a significant upgrade in playing time this year then I agree it will be firmly on his shoulders. He has always demonstrated technical and tactical proficiency, but the last clip I saw from him he appeared to have a bit more of a physical ability to compete at the adult level. Last year was ok, given how young he was and how we've seen younger players break physically from over-exertion, but he can handle it now.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    FYI.....................I think Mexico did away with those age rules.
    Instead, they recently changed their foreign player rules (as well as redefined what constitutes a foreign player). Its called the 9/9 rule. And based on current trends, the group of folks it hurts the most are American-born Mexican-Americans.

http://remezcla.com/sports/liga-mx-9-9-rule/

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    TxEx, Lookingforleftbacks, ielag and 2 others repped this.
  5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I think anyone thinking MLS is going to be playing any role in the near term other than providing depth and training kids without passports until they turn 18/19 are kidding themselves. There are only few teams that take youth development and playing young players seriously and no sign of that changing materially at this point.

I’d think an interesting strategy would be a USL side recruiting top 16 yo and signing them until they 19 with a low buyout clause slightly above what the solidarity payments would be. They should create relationship with multiple clubs across Europe and South America to get kids training stints and interest in them when they turn 18. These kids would be in professional environment and getting minutes at a semi-pro level from the age of 16. This would improve their development over just training with MLS sides and provide a clear path abroad. Or maybe a better option would be for Euro teams to start USL teams themselves. This would put pressure on MLS to improve over time and maybe actually play a role in actually turning kids into top professional players.

The problem with your statement is that it isn’t just a few young players going abroad. I’d think we’ve gotten to double digits at each age. The recent youth summit included 7, 3, 12, and 3 players or 25 player from abroad in the the top 4 age groups (includes Reyna and Gloster who have expressed interest). There are quite a few more in that age range as well as few

There are another 25ish players in the 95-98 birth years with a number of players missing from the list. Which puts at over 50 players and growing rapidly that will u27 in 2022 that could be added to those already capped who were born in 1990 (32 yo in 22) or later. It isn’t unreasonable to expect 5 veterans, 10 prime, and 8 younger players from this pool of players with room for over half of these players failing. I’m having a hard time seeing the HUGE role MLS is going to play next cycle. Outside of Steffen, Adams, and Morris playing much of a role from the current players and which teams are going to give their youngsters a chance.

Capped from 1990-94 Birth Years.
    Yedlin, Wood, Stanko, Saief, Morales, Johansson, Corona, Brooks, Boyd

1995-98 Birth Years.
    Carter-Vickers, Cameron, de la Torre, Luca, Gaines, McKinze, Gooch, Lynden, Green, Julian, Horvath, Ethan, Hyndman, Emerson, Hämäläinen, Niko, McKennie, Weston, Miazga, Matthew, Moore, Shaquell, Moreno, Amando, Novakovich, Andrija, Palmer-Brown, Erik, Parks, Keaton, Payne, Desevio, Perez, Joshua, Pulisic, Christian, Robinson, Antonee, Rozhansky, Jake, Rubin, Rubio, Sabbi, Emmanuel, Saucedo, Sebastian, Siebatcheu, Theoson Jordan, Tall, Maki, Wright, Haji

U-20 Men’s National Team (7):
    GOALKEEPERS (1): Brady Scott (FC Köln/GER; Petaluma, Calif.)
    DEFENDERS (2): Gedion Davis (JMG Association Barcelona; Barcelona, Spain), Angel Uribe (Club Tijuana/MEX; San Diego, Calif.),
    MIDFIELDERS (1): Juan Pablo Torres (Lokeren/BEL; Lilburn, Ga.),
    FORWARDS (3): Jonathan Amon (FC Nordsjaelland/DEN; Summerville, S.C.), Shaft Brewer (RB Leipzig/GER; Sacramento, Calif.), Nebiyou Perry (AIK/SWE; New York, N.Y),

U-19 Men’s National Team (3):
    GOALKEEPERS (0):
    DEFENDERS (2): Sergino Dest (Ajax/NED; Chris Gloster (Unattached; Montclair, N.J.),
    MIDFIELDERS (0):
    FORWARDS (1): Zyen Jones (Schalke; Clarkston, Ga.),

U-18 Men’s National Team (12):
    GOALKEEPERS (1): Nick DeFreitas-Hansen (Everton/ENG; Southwest Ranches, Fla.)
    DEFENDERS (3): Julian Araujo (Barca Academy/ESP; Lompoc, Calif.), Ian Hoffman (Karlsuher SC/GER; Karlsruher, Germany), Jose Olmos (Barca Academy/ESP; Inglewood, Calif.),
    MIDFIELDERS (5): Taylor Booth (Unattached; Eden, Utah), Owen Otasowie (Wolverhampton Wanderers/ENG; New York, N.Y.), Stuart Ritchie (FC Groningen/NED; Pleaston, Calif.), Lawson Sunderland (Levante/ESP; Portland, Ore.), Will Vint (Manchester United/ENG; Chester, England)
    FORWARDS (3): Justin Butler (Bayern Munich/GER; Augsburg, Germany), Jalen Hawkins (Bayern Munich/GER; Regensburg, Germany), Jake LaCava (Barca Academy/ESP; Gouverneur, N.Y.),

U-17 Men’s National Team (3):
    GOALKEEPERS (0):
    DEFENDERS (1): Michael Barragan (Atlas/MEX; Guadalajara, Mexico),
    MIDFIELDERS (0):
    FORWARDS (2): Joshua Pynadath (Ajax/NED; Amsterdam, Netherlands), Giovanni Reyna (New York City FC; Bedford Corners, N.Y.)

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Perhaps of interest: It looks like India (site of last year's U17 tournament) and Poland (which I don't think has ever hosted the U17s or U20s) are the two bidders for the 2019 U20 finals, and the decision is expected pretty soon.

ielag, Lookingforleftbacks and Winoman repped this.
  7. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Poland was announced as host just hours ago.

Dave Marino-Nachison and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Hopefully after 2:26 p.m. ET...

Anderson11 and ielag repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Current qualifying roster if everyone's available.

GK: Scott, Garces
    DF: Adams, Lindsey, Rogers, McKenzie, Richards, Araujo, Gloster
    MF: Durkin, Sands, Goslin, Booth, Carleton, Pomykal, Amon, Taitague, de la Fuente
    FW: Weah, Sargent

Garces
    Adams-Richards-Rogers-Gloster
    Durkin
    Carleton-Booth
    Pomykal-Weah-Taitague

Standby GK: Lopez
    Standby RB: Dest
    Standby CB: Crain
    Standby LB: Morris
    Standby #6: Torres
    Standby #8: Servania
    Standby AM: Mines
    Standby CF: Perez

TheFalseNine repped this.
  10. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amon making the roster would be a waste of a spot. Why not include a player like Llanez, who has more potential?

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't see it that way. I don't think Llanez should be a real option for the U-20's right now. Not that he's bad or anything like that, but I don't think he's good enough to play up a cycle.

12. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then Akinola are somebody else. Amon really isn't that good.

13. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    You're the only one with that opinion.

Amon is a better prospect than Akinola.

14. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm one of the few people that have actually seen enough of Amon to know that he isn't that good.

15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    When have you seen him? Plenty of people seen enough Akinola to know that he isn't good.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Do you really think, deep down, when you're being honest with yourself, that if Tyler Adams is part of this team that he's gonna be playing anywhere for it but central midfield?

frankburgers and onefineesq repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know.

And you might not like that answer, but I wouldn't have thought that Palmer-Brown would play DM in qualifying, and Glad would play RB at the U-20 WC.

I don't see how it makes any sense to use Adams as a CM. I think it'll make this team significantly worse at full-back, if he's not playing there. I think our full-back options are even worse than our CB options. We need Adams to play whichever of the two (RB or LB) is the weakest.

18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #118 ielag, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    You've seen him play no more than anybody who follows his YA thread has, and he has shown far more skills than Akinola ever has, nothing against Ayo.

You also used to say a lot that Alonso Hernandez was a future star under your former screen name john2368 @joh or whatever it was.

19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #119 ielag, Apr 2, 2018
    Depending the dates of U20 WCQ, not sure we see Tyler play for the U20's again since with Copa America and the Gold Cup next summer. One of those likely being a "B" team, probably Copa America.

There could be a couple others that don't play in the U20 WC (if we qualify) because of GC and Copa next summer.

20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #120 Pl@ymaker, Apr 2, 2018
    I sure did. I know more now than I did then. I know that players who are only speedy and have poor ball skills, have short careers due to injury and slow players with mediocre ball skills fade away pretty fast.

21. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teves of S2 and Carranza of ATL 2, should also be considered for the qualifying roster.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Too much depth in CM to consider Teves, IMO. I could think of another 5-10 that I'd call in before him. Agree about Carranza, but I think he's on the outside looking in, at this point.

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    You learn something new every day on BigSoccer!

(Today, for example, I learned why I didn't make it as a pro -- or, for that matter, as much of an amateur.)

24. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #124 TarHeels17, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    I mean, Adams played midfield for the last cycle. If anything you'd expect him to be the first name locked down at midfield this cycle. I think we see something like:

Weah-Sargent-Taitague
    Carleton-Durkin-Adams
    Real-Rogers-McKenzie-Lindsey
    Scott

Bench: Garces, Dest, Richards, Sands, Goslin, Pomykal, Amon

You're right that the fullbacks aren't that great, but Real could come a long way in the next 12 months with some pro minutes. Lindsey should eventually debut in MLS and play a bunch with Swope. Dest could even break out. I don't think Gloster is that good, and honestly Adams seems like a much better offensive player than Pomykal and Booth right now. It's bad right now, but there's a lot of potential changes that could come before qualifying. I can't say the same for center back.

Also, Adams is integral to Tab's pressing schemes, so I highly doubt that he's not in midfield, but then again I highly doubt he's in this team at all. He's probably an MLS all star this year, which is a much different situation than EPB, and still quite a few levels above Glad's situation last year in terms of notoriety.

Lastly, can someone get Xuxuh a new agent? I have no idea what that kid's doing and I still think he's the best prospect in the whole pool. If he's still alive, he should be starting for this team.

25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams may get the Acosta treatment and be moved to left back not because he's not a really good CM but because the drop off between him and the other CM's isn't as large as the drop off between him and other left backs.

ussoccer97531 repped this.