The 2019 U-20 Qualifying Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Both.

I think the caliber of NCAA soccer is much better today than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

But at the same time, the high-end talent just isn't there much anymore. The likes of Reynas, McBrides, Dempseys, Onyewus, Cherundolos, Friedels etc.. aren't there these days because the top talent is skipping college altogether or staying for a season or two like Reggie Cannon or DeAndre Yedlin.

Winoman and Balerion repped this.
  2. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
  3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of as expected. Tyler wasn't going to be on it and Sargent was.

Weah being on it is interesting.

4. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, US Soccer says it has no plans to release the 35 player preliminary roster. If it is released, it'll come from CONCACAF

5. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t look for Maloney on the US U-20 team for qualifying

7. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    That's surprising given that he hasn't featured with Union Berlin this season, on top of having already released him for some camps with U20s.

8. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s not the issue. From what I’ve heard, he just didn’t play well at either of his 2 US camps

9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lara's Instagram now has only a US flag emoji, not Mexico, and he recently followed Weah and Pulisic.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Are any of Durkin, McKenzie, Carleton, Sands, Lindsey going to be available? All are making the 18 on a regular basis for playoff teams/likely playoff teams.

Team without those players (and college players).

GK: Scott, Dos Santos
    DF: Dest, Araujo, Richards, Rogers, Gloster, Lara, Real
    MF: Servania, Mendez, Torres, Cappis, Booth, Pomykal, Llanez, Acosta
    FW: Soto, Akinola, Brewer

Scott
    Dest-Araujo-Richards-Gloster
    Servania
    Mendez-Booth
    Pomykal-Soto-Llanez

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    oooooh, interesting. Well, I trust Tab with his selections here.

12. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If players are on the bench but rarely play, they’ll almost certainly go to the U-20s - if Tab wants them

The biggest question is McKenzie

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee, maybe Tab hasn't been sitting on his butt doing nothing after all!

Tom Collingsworth and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the irony is that today it's Maloney's birthday, turns 19.

that's what happens when a team has no reserves, they have players who are just there as backups.

15. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amon is on the 35 player roster.

Won’t be on the initial 20 player roster. Deal likely in place to be added for 2nd stage of qualifying.

16. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Crushin' it.

17. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess to state the obvious: it’s by no means certain Lara makes the qualifying team.

No inside info here, just my own insight: I think Real & Gloster have the inside track at LB but Vines has also played a lot with the team. I’m guessing Lara isn’t part of qualifying but if the US qualifies, Lara is given some looks before the World Cup

Then you have the Bello factor - what happens if Tab wants him to try to play in both the U-17 & U-20 World Cups in 2019? I wouldn’t discount that

Mario Balotelli and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  18. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if that's as good as we can get for the first round, who would you expect to be the additions? Maybe:

1. Amon
    2. Weah
    3. Sargent
    4. Durkin
    5. McKenzie
    6. Carleton? Bello?

I'd feel pretty good about our odds of qualifying with this squad. We'll have a LOT of offensive firepower.

Scott
    Dest-McKenzie-Richards-Gloster
    Durkin
    Mendez-Booth
    Amon-Sargent-Weah

19. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Carleton will be there from the start

I doubt Bello is there for qualifying (he might be an option for the U-20 WC)

You can’t preplan all 6 roster changes. At least 2 will probably be kept open for injuries from the first stage

20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real is slow and not that good. Even if Real makes the final roster and Lara doesn't, he is not the better LB.

21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    It should be something personal not let Carleton go with his 3 mins per game average.
    I expect him to be there.

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Happy about Lara. Thought it would happen eventually but surprised it's happening now.

Of course, this will mean more when Lara finally starts getting regular first-team playing time.

Antonee, Lara, Bello and maybe Gloster and Real if they develop and suddenly the US could have actual depth at the left back spot.

I've been following American soccer for longer than I care to admit and that kind of depth at left back would be unprecedented.

23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Wouldn't feel comfortable with so limited offensive possession options but Mendez. Booth is a sit tight distributor not an attacking goal option at all. Weak offensive midfield doesn't help distribution to that obviously good forward trio

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    One reason you might see a provisional roster release from U.S. Soccer would be if it included a dual national making a switch/commitment. Just a guess, of course.

ChuckMe92 and bshredder repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If the only big question is McKenzie's availability among the MLS players (not counting Adams), here is what I think the squad might look like. I’ll take his word about guys like Carleton and Lindsey who don’t play. I still think Durkin and Sands could play important enough roles at their clubs that I wouldn’t put them in the definitely released category.

1. Scott
    2. Dos Santos

Comments: Will Ramos take a college guy out of their season to be the back up? If so, I think Muse and Garces would both come before Dos Santos, but I don't know that he'll do that. Its possible Eric Lopez could be picked over Dos Santos, but he hasn't gotten many call ups recently.

3. Lindsey
    4. Richards
    5. Rogers
    6. Gloster
    7. Dest
    8. McKenzie/Araujo
    9. Araujo/Real

Comments: If we are to go on what Sciaretta is saying, Lindsey should be there. Richards is a lock. I think Gloster and Dest are very likely to be there. If Maloney will not be on the team, I think that tells us Rogers probably will be. Then comes the questions. Is McKenzie released? If so, he takes that 8th spot. If not, you are almost forced to use Araujo as a primary CB, and then Real takes the last fullback spot. If McKenzie is released, I think you have the question of Real vs. Araujo. Real would give you a second natural LB. Dest could fill in at LB as Gloster's back up as could Lindsey. You also would only have 3 natural CB's without Araujo, so you might opt for an extra CB.

10. Servania
    11. Mendez
    12. Durkin/Torres
    13. Booth/Torres
    14. Carleton
    15. Pomykal
    16. Llanez
    17. Booth/Acosta

Comments: Servania and Mendez should be there. I’m not completely convinced that Durkin will be released, but think he probably will be. If he is, he’ll be on the team. If not, I think Torres and Booth both make it for the final holding mid spots. Sands is another with a chance, but Ramos doesn’t seem to rate him and he’s another that I’m not sure would be released.

Carleton, Llanez and Pomykal all seem likely to be on the team. I’m not sure who the other options would be. Not many. For the last spot, I think it’ll either go to Acosta or Booth. If Booth’s already on the team as a holding mid, it’s Acosta’s spot, but Booth can also play as a #10, if needed.

18. Soto
    19. Akinola
    20. Brewer

Comments: Soto is a lock. Akinola is probably the back up CF. He can also play wing and bring some pace to that position. Brewer is there to be the the third CF, and give us another option at winger.

Changes after round 1:

1. Sargent for Brewer
    2. Amon for Akinola/Acosta/Booth
    3. Weah for Akinola/Injury
    4. Injury
    5. Injury
    6. Injury

Comments: Sargent subs in for the third CF option. Amon can either sub in for the back up CF (since we are adding Sargent) or for the last AM spot, whether that’s Acosta or Booth. Weah would swap in for Akinola, if Ramos can get him into this team. If not, we have an extra spot to use up for any changes that happen due to injury, suspension, fatigue, form, etc. If for some reason one of the MLS’ers isn’t released initially, they can also take up one of these spots.