The 2019 U-20 Qualifying Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 15, 2017.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Schalke might not be thrilled with the possibility of Taitague playing that many matches in a short amount of time considering his injury issues the past year.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I would be much more willing to believe that if he was on the first team roster instead of the reserve team roster.

3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    They didn’t release Nick last cycle either.

4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tataigue has been injured for 4 months and a half already. And the latest update from Schalke was that he was categorized along with a few other players as out with a long term injury.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #480 Clint Eastwood, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    I think I said this in another thread.

My prediction of highly ranked youngster that will fade away in Junior Flores fashion................is Nick Taitague. Can't stay healthy enough to actually gain any momentum and develop. Can't even be loaned out.

To be honest, I haven't seen enough right now to say that he'd even make this U20 team. I need to actually see him play at some point.

Ger90 and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Looking forward to this tournament. Would love to see Alphonso Davies and Ballou Tabla on each wing against the USA.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not.

ChuckMe92 and dougtee repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    from what I've seen of Taitague is that he looks like a scrawny 15-16 year old instead of 19. That he's injury prone doesn't seem that surprising.

the same injury that took him out until now is him injurying himself chasing after a ball.

Sombrerito repped this.
  9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick is my pick for 2018 Breakout Youngster :unsure:

Ger90 repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Taitague has a good skillset, but his play last season wasn't all that good. His end product was incredibly mediocre in the U-19 Bundesliga. Look at what Pulisic did in the same league years ago, Wright had great stats in that league, Soto is putting up great stats in that league this season, Sargent is putting up great stats at a higher level.

I definitely would not write him off. I don't think talented 19 year olds should be written off because they have things in their game they need to work on, but based off what I've seen, read and his stats, I do not get the sense that he's one of our elite youngsters. Maybe he was a couple of years ago, but likely isn't anymore.

Ger90 repped this.
  11. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    Same problem Green had when I saw him play with Bayern. He was just too small at that time and got knocked off the ball easily. Taitague has the same problem and on top of that is injury prone, such a shame really. Hard to say what his level is until he can stay healthy

Ger90 repped this.
  12. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Is McKinze Gaines thread eligible? @Ger90 , how's he doing at Darmstadt?

13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    he's a 98 so not eligible for the U20 WC which is 99-onwards.

but to answer your question, the guy is in limbo. Always plays preseason but then is irrelevant during the season, he's actually like 2 weeks away from reaching 1 full year since his last competitive match for Darmstadt. Struggling to even make the bench.

there was even chatter during the Summer that he might get the axe although he ended staying put. With an expiring 2020 contract, he needs to consider either go on loan in Winter, see if it works and if it does than leave. Or just leave permanently. Wasting crucial dev time doing nothing and soon enough will turn 21.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Weah hasn't even made the bench in 1.5 months. Why shouldn't he be available to play the full tournament with this team? Sargent hasn't made the bench yet this season. Why shouldn't he be available to play the full tournament with this team?

If Ramos can't get two guys released that don't even play for their club teams at the first team level, he deserves a lot of blame for that.

15. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #490 bshredder, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    How can you blame someone when the club just says no? Ramos has no power. He can try to convince clubs to release players but that is it. Maybe the club just doesn't give a s**t about the U.S. U-20 team and believes that a player is better staying at the club to train.

FYI, I think Sargent joins the team for the second stage of qualifying. Less certain about Weah.

Amon will be a close call. Speaking to your point. Nordsjaelland did not release a bunch of its players to the Danish U-19 team during the last international window - simply because they didn't feel like it.

16. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI..

The 35 player preliminary roster was due yesterday

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Are the 20s gonna have a camp in October during the international break?

18. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe so

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #494 ussoccer97531, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Part of his job is getting his players released. Some teams and coaches do better at it than others. Last cycle, Ramos also did a bad job of it. Should we just go into every cycle accepting that we won't get anywhere close to our best team because the coach can't convince club teams that reserve/academy players belong playing for their country in big tournaments over the same youth games they play all season long?

I'm sure some clubs will say no, regardless of whats said? Getting Pulisic released last cycle was unrealistic, maybe you could say getting Amon released this cycle (during the non-FIFA date part of the tournament) is unrealistic, but I don't think its unrealistic to expect guys like Sargent, Weah, Taitague to be released. Getting none of the three would show that Ramos is not succeeding in an important part of his job as U-20 coach. I think there's a good chance the reason de la Fuente has zero call ups might also be that Ramos has been unable to get him released, but I could be wrong about that.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is just ridiculous.

In any negotiation, you need leverage. Tab has none.

He has nothing to offer clubs, nothing to threaten them with. He asks, they say yes or no or set terms and that's it.

None of these teams owe him shit and he doesn't have the playing relationships with these European clubs the way, say, a Veljko Paunovic or Emilio Peixe would.

There's things to criticize Tab for. This ain't one of 'em.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I await the hysteria on these boards when Atlanta refuses to release Carleton :)

Cuz that's gonna happen...………………….

22. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    #497 Peretz48, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Real returned to the field yesterday for Bethlehem and went 90, so it seems that he's fully back to health and available for the U20s.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I feel like if healthy, this team has nice FB depth.

Lindsay, Dest, Gloster, Real, Vines, Perez.

I mean, Perez might be the top choice in the MLS draft and he's likely third on the RB depth chart.

Sombrerito repped this.
  25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honest question: does this say more about our RB depth or about the quality of the NCAA talent pool?

Sandon Mibut repped this.