The 2019 U-20 Qualifying Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do I have to read it, or can I just click it and say I did?

Asking for a friend.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From his answer it sounds like he will be differentiating between U20 and Senior team players, but to me that makes no sense since the senior team has no meaningful games for a year.

3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I think that's because the U20 WC and Gold Cup are so close on the calendar. A player the USMNT wants for the GC probably wouldn't be released by their club for the U20 WC.

4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So... Anyone planning to go to the qualifiers? It's like an 80 minutes from my house so I plan to make at least some weekend games.

Lookingforleftbacks and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. The playoffs are a concern here. The start on October 31st and end on December 8th. So its the early rounds with the maximum number of participants that could be effected. And while the issue doesn't look horrible right now, we're hoping that some of our youngsters become increasingly important to teams as the year goes on.

By the way, I wonder if clubs in the USL would also withhold players as their playoffs also start in late late October. This is probably the first time that I've ever worried about that. Would Los Dos release Mendez and Llanez when they have a playoff game? We'd certainly hope so, but you never know.

In theory............not on your list there, Ayo Akinola at TFC. Although playoffs might not be a problem for them!

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. I was just thinking of qualifying

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The NCAA Tournament in November is also potentially in play here for Soto and Perez.

Would suck for these guys to have to choose between U20 WC qualifying and a win-or-go-home game with their club (NCAA) team.

Winoman and TarHeels17 repped this.
  8. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't understand why Manny Perez is our starting RB. I'm pretty sure we have a couple of players who are younger and better than him, at that position.

9. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    He's drawn rave reviews by most playing RB for the U20s.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've only seen him play there once, but I wasn't impressed. I don't get the whole RB experiment, if he's doing well as a CF.

He didn't look the most athletic, offensive ability (for a full-back) looked average at best and the defending wasn't great, although the effort was certainly there. To be fair, he was going against a guy who gets minutes for Inter, so he was playing against a player who was just way too good for him to mark. But I personally did not understand the experiment based off that one match.

I'd much rather see Adams as the starting RB for this team. And if not Adams, Lindsey.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Perez plays as a winger for NC State

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramos pretty explicitly conveys that he doesn't see Adams as a u20 player any longer.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He didn't say its not happening, so I wouldn't rule it out. I also see Adams as a USMNT player. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be smart for Adams (and the program) to play him with the U-20's, if NYRB is out of the playoffs. Which makes more sense, letting him play two USMNT friendlies or helping the U-20's qualify for the U-20 WC? Its not like this is a decision between a senior NT tournament and a U-20 tournament. These are friendlies. He's been called up to every round of friendlies since the elimination.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100%. If Red Bulls are not in playoff contention, Adams should be on the qualifying roster.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The u20 coach said he saw Adams as an Olympic and senior team player. So debating him being the starting right back seems silly to me. The guy picking the team doesn't think he should be on the team. What you think makes sense is irrelevant when the actual coach says he shouldn't be on the squad. Until THAT changes, I think we need to assume that we are looking for someone other than Adams on the squad.

largegarlic and bshredder repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't take his words as meaning Adams won't be at qualifying. If that was the case, he could've said that. But thats only my interpretation. You could be right.

17. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... if the rumors are true, shouldn’t Adams be moving to Leipzig about the time of the U20 WCQs?

18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Adams can't officially move until Jan. 1 if he were to go in the winter. Adams will likely be in the MLS Cup playoffs during WCQ and no way NYRB release him.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It all depends how NYRB do in the playoffs. If they do well, its a moot point.

If they do how they usually do, maybe not.

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    So it sounds like you guys are saying that if he's available then it's possible he might be there, but it's also possible that he might not be available and, therefore, not there.

Good talk.

;)

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Current preferred qualifying team.

GK: Scott, Garces
    DF: Lindsey, Araujo, McKenzie, Richards, Rogers, Gloster
    MF: Durkin, Adams, Booth, Ledezma, Carleton, Pomykal, Amon, Taitague, de la Fuente
    FW: Weah, Sargent, Soto

Alternates: Muse, Perez, Crain, Dest, Real, Torres, Sands, Servania, Goslin, Fontana, Llanez, Mines

Garces
    Lindsey-Richards-McKenzie-Adams
    Durkin-Booth
    Pomykal-Carleton-Amon
    Sargent

Lookingforleftbacks and Winoman repped this.
  22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Roster probably has to be named before the MLS playoffs start. So only way I see Adams on the team is if NYRB doesn't finish in the top 6 in the East, which is highly unlikely.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. For me I see it being really challenging for us to get Adams for the U20s.
    Plus.......................I see it being even more unlikely that's he's at the World Cup (if we qualify.) He's likely to be at the Gold Cup, and clubs usually don't want their teams playing in multiple tournaments (Although its happened. Michael Bradley did the Gold Cup/U20 WC combo). So it might behoove the U20s to solidfy midfield partnerships without Adams anyway......................

I know I'm not alone in thinking this: I don't think its impossible to believe that Durkin will be making a move to Europe after this MLS season as well.

24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    For those who couldn't get of Olympic qualifying's roster weirdness, we bring you: The 2018 CONCACAF U20 Championship!

TarHeels17 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has CONCACAF released the roster rules for the qualifying tourney? What did you find especially weird about them, Dave?

Winoman repped this.