The 2019 Table :: Magic Numbers, Tragic Numbers & Other Doubtful Digits

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Knave, Aug 9, 2019.

1. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
  2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wait. We have a new secret word? No one tells me these things!

*makes second Long Island*

Time to make someone talk...

BalanceUT repped this.
  3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    No! We have an old secret word that people have only recently noticed. And if we did have a new secret word, I wouldn't tell any of you.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  4. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Ahem

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    1Conferences.png 2Combined.png
    Notes

MTL played VAN last night. MTL won. Nobody except @Allez RSL cares, and he's wrong to care. Please shame him.

Bill Archer, Ismitje, stucknutah and 4 others repped this.
  6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Aren’t midweek one-offs usually DIY? Unless it’s like four games or a toast-worthy event I wouldn’t beg for that update.

Thx,

Jay!

7. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    There's something stinky going on with week 27 and 28 amongst the West Coast schedule, at the very least. A bunch of it doesn't line up in multiple teams.

I blame @.........@Sounders78? Sure. Let's go with that.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I see it. Some of the games are out of alignment. I'll need to check by hand, which is a pain in the neck.

It's always good to blame @Sounders78.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm swamped with non-soccer obligations right now. So, update on Monday.

Blame ... everyone.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ******** Canada

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    #161 Knave, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    ... The "First the SRFC fans rejoiced, but then they cried" update ...

1Conferences.png 2Combined.png 3Misc.png 4TablesKey.png 5Schedule.png

Notes

Let's keep this quick since I've had a crappy few days, and then had to spend considerable time fixing the schedule. And it is fixed. (Maybe.) The games were all in the right order, but some were out of the correct weekly alignment. Shit happens. It's someone else's fault.

First, the stuff I really don't care about. NYC and PHI have clinched playoff spots. Big whoop.

Second, the good stuff. VAN and CIN have been eliminated. Granted, because they are Canadian, and because as per the tradition of this thread, nothing in Canada counts or is worth noticing, the fact that VAN has been eliminated is unworthy of our attention. But CIN ... fcuking CIN. The fact that CIN has been eliminated is of genuine interest to all of us bitter SRFC fans who wish nothing more than to see CIN fail on and off the field so that MLS will see the folly of their expansion decision. Now if you will pardon us, we SRFC fans need to get back to our usual doom and wailing.

Third, more good stuff. ORL is toast. Orlandorks are second only to Crewligans when it comes to irrationally denying their toastedness. So give it your best shot, you damn Disney freaks. Go ahead. Tell me there's still hope for your team. After this weekend, I need a good laugh.

Quick Hits

LAX could clinch the #1 seed next weekend when they play ... oh, wait, let me look it up. ORL. Ahahaha!

There's not doubt about it, LAX is the best CHV team ever. Try as I might, I'm finding it very hard to continue being disappointed in them.

DCU won a game. It's been a while.

MTL isn't toast. But I don't think MTL fans should have a lot of hope. The only thing that team has going for it is a relatively easy schedule. My hunch is they fade, and the EC playoff race is over sooner than later.

If we're lucky the playoff race in the WC extends to the final game. It might.

henryo, SccrDon, butters59 and 1 other person repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    About damn time...

is what I would say if I cared.

How did you miss that mistake that you made?

13. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are draws less common this year than others? My eyes look at the tables and think so. Usually there are a few more teams with nearly identical W-D-L records.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    My enemies distracted me.

song219 repped this.
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I hope DCU play without Rooney and Acosta for the rest of the season. We aren't gonna have them next year, and our last two wins were the two games when those two weren't starting. Coincidence? Almost certainly. But dammit I'm running with it!

If I've counted correctly, currently we have 73 out of 330 games ending as draws, or 22%. I think the average runs 22-25%, so by that measure we're on the low end, but not extremely so. We're actually ahead of last year, which saw 83/391 draws, 21%. 2017 had 24%.

I think, with both this year and last year, is that we have enough teams in the league now that stratification - and particularly the gap between the top and bottom - is increasing, which causes a relative (not necessarily absolute) decrease in the amount of expected (and actual) draws.

Kejsare repped this.
  16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    With Rooney around the players are too hung over to play on game day. ;)

17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I noticed that there was a low number of draws in the inter-conference standings this year so I did the math.

2018 wound up at 19% draws which was the lowest since 2002 (13%). The lowest all-time was 1998 at 12.5%. (Those early standings have been converted to count shootouts as draws which might have affected the outcomes.) The percentage had been as high as 30% as recently as 2016 so there is a lot of movement.

2019 is at 16.6% so far this year so it might beat 2018 but won't catch those very low numbers from early in the history of the league. .

The average annual percentage of draws for the inter-conference schedule through 2018 is 24.2%.

Kejsare, sitruc and RafaLarios repped this.
  18. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI the current number of regular season MLS games that were either drawn or went to shootout is 1441 out of 5810 total. About 24.8%

EvanJ repped this.
  19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Allez RSL and Kejsare repped this.
  20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    1Conferences.png 2Combined.png 3Misc.png 4TablesKey.png 5Schedule.png
    Notes

I'm not gonna bullshit you. Nothing really happened table-wise this week. LAX didn't quite clinch the WC #1 seed (but they obviously will soon enough. The middle of the WC table jostled around a bit, which last week I said was likely.

Quick Hits

I'm never again falling for that SRFC to MLS bullshit. It's nothing but lies and false hope and delusional talk. Give me the certainty of despair. Oh, Doom, my old, ever-so-reliable friend ...

BalanceUT and SccrDon repped this.
  22. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fascinating that with 5-6 games left the Western Conference 2-8 teams fit between 3 and 4 in the Eastern Conference.

EvanJ repped this.
  23. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Minnesota has the biggest chance to determine their destiny with 5 matches against playoff potential teams. LAG and FCD the least with only 1 match each.

24. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    If SKC had beaten Portland (they were leading 1-0 @ 65' and fell to 2 late goals), they would have been tied on points with Portland at 40.

Massive win for Portland.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You expect us to take your point seriously, but your opening premise is so completely flawed as to make the whole post just ridiculous gibberish.