The 2018 MLS TV Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KCbus, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    To people not familiar with this poster, he seems to be completely disconnected from reality in his complete and full belief in the success of this "CFL". The rest of us realize that this CFL is not going to be, and isn't even intended to be anything bigger than the USL is here in the States.

The above is just a disclaimer to people who will be taking this person's posts as factual.

JasonMa and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1052 Robert Borden, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Says the guy who knows nothing about the league

You sure do go out of your way to bash it. Isn't going to be or not bigger than USL? Make up your mind

Everything I say about the league can be verified. You on the other hand, don't know anything about it

I was just highlighting that if MLS had a viable marketing plan for Canada, they would gain more fans, hence make more money on TV in both countries

3. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Same could be said for many of the US teams. Would seem like there is a heck of a lot less competition though. It is not like Canada is full of NFL, MLB and NBA teams. If Montreal were in the US, it would have all three.

I'd agree Fresno is a pretty odd choice. Montreal affiliation with Ottawa makes sense.

Then again, its not like the CPL will cover the other 2/3. Apparently a good chunk will be outside the reach of both.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does of course but not without consultation.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's an affiliation in name only. VW plan to run a development team in 2019 without a full commitment to USL.

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    MLSE is owns the CFL Argonauts. Rogers, who bought shares in MLSE, owns the Toronto Blue Jays. Both teams have a tradition of Canada day games which is one of the most lucrative day. It's highly unlikely that they haven't ask MLS to do the same for TFC.

Vancouver got an earful from their ticket season holders in regards to Fresno. It's really bad optics to shutdown a Canadian USL team and affiliate with Fresno where less Canadian players would get playing time. They blamed CPL and the CSA, which was viewed as a dick move even by their own fans. The team had to defend itself in that meeting.

Ottawa are being denied USL, leaving Montreal with a bit of a problem. They wanted to sign Emile Legault, a Quebec born player who was developed in Auxerres, France and almost signed with Celtic. Montreal can't sign him because they have nowhere to put him. Folding FC Montreal is coming back to bite them as they now have nowhere to put local young talents.

TFC would be the only team who handled it the right way, however, seeking to be part of the USSDA came with some controversies due to the existence OPDL in Ontario but I don't dislike the move as they participate heavily in all Canadian different leagues and levels. The other 2 however shouldn't be doing that.

CPL will be in every provinces in the near future. Theses are the markets identified by the league:

-St.John's (Newfoundland)
    -Moncton (New Brunswick)
    -Quebec City, Laval, Sherbrooke (Quebec)
    -Ottawa, Durham Region, Mississauga, Niagara Region and Kitchener-Wateloo (Ontatio)
    -Regina and Saskatoon
    (Saskatchewan)
    -Kelowna and Surrey (British Columbia)

Prince Edward Islands and some of those cities will most likely be in CPL Division II once the Premier League reaches 16 teams by 2026.

With the acquisition of D3 Ontario league and plans to acquire more while launching new D3, they will occupy the entire country across 3 division

7. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back on topic to the subject of TV ratings/TV deal. I don't think MLS is in competition with the CPL in any way for TV eyeballs or hearts in minds MLS is a superior product and 3 of the biggest Canadian markets have investment in the league.

As MLS stature continue to grow so will the 3 Canadian teams regardless of what CPL is doing. CPL can go the way of NASL or it can be the Candian USL version where they work hand in hand with MLS. I think its better to go that route and will give CPL more credibility/viability as a organization from the business side. I think EPL being off airwaves and onto DAZN will help MLS/CPL in Canada grow the game. It will be interesting to see what kind of TV deal MLS and for that matter CPL get.

I know the urge may exist with some Canadian's with the new big thing to one day rival the biggest leagues in the world or at least the hemisphere. Reality is that while that seems exciting and full of potential reality will soon come crashing in when the league starts. There is no short cut to success CPL's best bet will be to team up with MLS and learn best business practices and what worked for MLS so in 15-20 yrs CPL can be a success too. That viability starts with a decent TV deal.

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1058 Robert Borden, Dec 18, 2018
    Simplistic analysis but ok.

The 2/3+ of the country have no interest in MLS, so they are CPL's to gain. So technically, not much competition there. For the foreseeable future, the 3 main cities will follow MLS more than CPL.

I was highlighting how they could have drawn much more by having Canada day games and putting their reserve teams in other parts of their provinces to get more exposure nationally, more fans and better TV ratings.

Except that they haven't outside their markets. Total stagnation

That right there made absolutely no business sense. You're advocating replicating what has failed already. USL and NASL don't draw in Canada, it would be insanity to try something that we know doesn't work over and over again

I don't know that it will make a difference for MLS as they are still on cable...unless they get outbid by DAZN in the future. Certainly gives CPL more options as most Canadians needs their morning EPL fix. If a deal is reach between DAZN and CPL, the EPL deal will most likely benefit the league

Could you stop projecting your superiority or inferiority complex on others? Most Canadians are happy to get this league so our national team will get a sustainable stream of new talent and durable improvement. No one but you is talking that nonsense of winning CCL or surpassing MLS.

That's very classy. Thank you, but we already know, hence the very conservative targets and expenses set by the league for it's first few years, despite the massive amount of capital behind the league.

They don't need to "team up" with MLS to do their homework, besides, the best model is an hybrid of the CFL, A-League and Scandinavian League. Replicating MLS business model is not viable in Canada nor is it the only model that works in football. A TV deal is in progress as we speak.

Going back on topic, MLS could make tons of money in Canada for their TV rights but they have mishandled the marketing work allowing them to emulate what all the other leagues were able to achieve in. Not normal that 11 years in, they are totally absent of 2/3+ of the country. There's opportunities for the 3 teams to make some gains via the 2019 Canadian Championship as they will be visiting CPL stadiums. Perhaps they might make some gains that way.

9. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lol didn't mean to trigger you, but your response is what I was talking about. I hope CPL takes the advice of MLS whether you realize it or not its the best route. Don Garber has offered assistance and advice. Well I'm done talking CPL. You obviously are overly emotionally connected to it. Lets not turn this into another Canada Pride Cyle Larin thing I think you are the only one exhibiting any sort of inferiority complex when it comes to talking Canada anything. Besides enough of the CPL talk. I know you're excited in all but unless there's TV news/ratings to share about CPL that can be at least loosely tied to MLS we should get back on topic. Enjoy the league:thumbsup:

10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1060 Robert Borden, Dec 18, 2018
    lol! When? Why are you making stuff up?

It's called informing as you don't know anything about the league

You clearly don't know the meaning of the word.

MLS also operates in Canada. The 3 teams has significantly contributed to the league (revenue, exposure, TV ratings in playoffs, CCL runs that helped MLS get more international spotlights & bringing guys like Di Vaio, Drogba, Piatti, Giovinco and of course Davies), so it's normal that the Canadian angle gets brought up, deal with it

Then you weren't paying attention. The MLS TV ratings in Canada are abnormally low since Canadians are huge consumers of soccer. I'm pointing out the "why" (poor marketing) and the "potential" (NHL example and TV ratings in other sports) which makes relevant to discuss it. You don't care but MLS certainly does care about making more money, they just haven't solve the Canadian market to increase their conversion rate.

Even if they start solving it and adjust their marketing, CPL is an "obstacle" to achieve that goal, not to the current markets but towards expanding beyond. It will be a tough sell to convince someone Calgary (Canada's 4 metro area) to support Vancouver instead of Cavalry or Winnipeg to support Toronto.

Which is why I was pointing out that perhaps the 2019 Canadian Championship might be their best window to try and connect with the rest of the country to make some gains.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait I am confused now.

CFL = Canada Football League.

Is the new soccer league also going to be called CFL?

ok

CFL = tackle.

CPL = kicking.

Robert Borden repped this.
  12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Brainfart. CPL.

ceezmad repped this.
  13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It happens, for a second I though that he CSA was being stupid again.

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How about we just go with "We all want both leagues to do well, get more viewers, and raise the calibre of pro ball in North America!" Hooray!

Moving on...

Capt.Tsubasa, JasonMa, VBCity72 and 3 others repped this.
  15. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I can't take another thread destroyed by CPL talk.

16. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1066 eddygee, Dec 18, 2018
    Yes this this exactly lets not Cyle Larin this thread up :D
    This is the inferiority complex every thing with @Robert Borden is Canada against the world, you MLS American fans no nothing of the greatness of Cyle Larin or these wild northern lands or how great and how much passion the Saskatchapoon Metro area fans will have for CPL. Ok Ok ok we get it.... Canucks love their footie too and us Americans should let them be great. Hope it succeeds I'm sorry man for questioning you :cry::cry:

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People need to learn no to say bad things about anything Canada related, it is a bat signal for Borden to come into the thread.

JasonMa, Kejsare, RafaLarios and 3 others repped this.
  18. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I want the CPL to succeed, but The Borden character makes it really hard to pull for it to.

JasonMa and NashSC repped this.
  19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How many viewers watch the MLS Cup? Why isn't MLS more watched than Liga MX?

20. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Because it isn't the CPL.
    Just wait the CPL is going to get double the viewership...cause Canada

That was mean...sorry...kinda

crookeddy and eddygee repped this.
  21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    too bad, I wanted to know so I could answer someone else's question

22. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the Mexican league has better quality and more history/fan connections. Two barriers the CPL will have to overcome.

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thank you although I'm surprised due to how patriotic you guys are.

I agree with your last point

24. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    You believe the CPL is going to be a step ahead of USL, I'm betting it turns out to be somewhere between USL1 and USL2. When it rolls out we can see whose ideas came closer to reality. I'm pro player, so the more successful the CPL is, the better. But it seems to me that even if your association wins the war against Ottawa, the victory while likely end up to be Pyrrhic.

However this is about TV. If the vast majority of Canadians can't be bothered to watch teams with national team players like Jonathan Osorio, Alphonso Davies, or Samuel Piette, what makes you think someone in Regina is going to be interested in watching a game between St John's and Moncton? The USL has far more teams in far bigger cities than the CPL, but how many hands and toes do you need to count the number of fans outside those cities that will find the budding rivalry of Vegas vs Reno much watch TV? How is the CPL going to marketing any better the MLS has? My hunch is the reason Canada seems to have made better penetration than the US is that the 3 teams represent a 1/3 of the TV market and at least 1 or 2 are playing in almost each televised games. But I really don't know, that is why I'm curious about the numbers.

RafaLarios repped this.
  25. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Saskatchewan already have a group of owners working to bring a team to the province. To answer your question, Canadian content beyond 1 guy per teams. The low Canadian content is another factor for the lack of interest outside the 3 cities.

I don't know the reality of US TV, but data here suggests that Canadians are huge consumers of Canadian content in regards to sports, something the MLS teams lacks. Problem number 2 is that the 3 teams never did the marketing work to give the rest of the country to take an interest to them.

Don't get me wrong, data suggests that MLS is improving on TV but it's mainly due to converting more people in their area to tune in. It's highly unlikely that this increase is due to people in Ottawa or Calgary converting to the product.

Unless we are talking Mtl vs TFC eastern conference finals (highest national MLS ratings ever), the rest of the country won't be watching. (Data proves that as well, those numbers are never seen during regular season). Hence my point that I'm actually shocked that MLS never thought it would be a good idea to make it a Canada day event as an opportunity to draw the rest of the nation and make it a tradition. That's unbelievable to me...