News: The 2018/19 Season Preview, Discussion & Review Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So PSG will be booting us out the Champions League then :)

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And quite easily. Neymar and Mbappe are going to carve up our back line.

3. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    We received the worst draw. This is a great test for us too.

Show up or show out.

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Test?

Sorry were passed that stage. We've failed 3 times over.

jeff070 repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we showed any kind of backbone, it could have been argued that among the better teams, this would have been the matchup we wanted, with our chances perhaps being 50/50.
    PSG, despite all their talent on paper, need to wipe off the choker label in the CL. Hard to imagine us standing up to them though, with how things are currently going for us.

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Jose is still around after the winter period, the Feb-Mar schedule should finish him off. We play PSG (twice), City, Arsenal, Pool all in that time frame.

7. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Benni posted this in July. It was the most visible, slow motion train wreck ever. Frustrating is an understatement.

So many of us saw this coming last season in fact. The trendline has been clear as day.

8. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Im not saying keep Jose, but were gonna fire Jose, put Nicky Butt in charge, then leave him with the same squad?

******** it, lets play the Youth. Hopefully we can miss out on Europe all together.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #184 Ashur, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Butt, Carrick or McKenna, doesn't really matter. It's not like it could get much worse than what Mourinho has to offer at this point. Even if the results are only marginally better, odds are at least that we'll try to be more progressive in our style. And also, the (very) bad atmosphere that clearly permeates the club at this time, will show some improvement at least. And that has to count for something.
    As far as the squad is concerned and the upcoming window, as previously stated, it's all about next season and beyond. But if there is no good deal to be made next month, we don't have to buy anyone either and we can save the money for the summer. We can try for Koulibaly for instance, but if Napoli will not sell yet, than we can just reassess our options and prepare for the summer. In the meantime, I'd also bring up some of our top talents from youth level, like Chong, Gomes and even Greenwood here and there, to give them a taste of senior football and prepare them to take a bigger role in the squad.
    The point is that every action that is being taken from now on should be about what comes after this season, as this season is finished and we're going nowhere with Mourinho in charge. I'd be perfectly content to finish outside the top 6, as to avoid the EL completely and avoid that burden next season and start over fresh in August, with a new manager (the right one for the club this time) in place.

10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When all the bitching and moaning was happening pre-season, I think it was pretty clear we were in for the usual Jose meltdown season. I don’t think its been a surprise but it sucks all the same.

If we’re going to miss out on top 4 I’d prefer to miss out on Europe altogether. The Europa league is a scheduling nightmare and its only benefit is as a top 4 backup plan to get in the CL. I don’t think anyone really gives a shit about winning the EL. If we do finish 5th or 6th, next season we should just use it as a youth and reserve tournament.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's fair to say that many United fans have felt the same for quite a while. It's reached fever pitch and is at a breaking point, with exasperation and discontent now turning to legitimate anger.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting interview with Andy Mitten. The points regarding Mourinho's firing are well known and almost old news by now. It's the other stuff howeve (Pogba, the DoF appointment, the current position of the club compared to others) that proved interesting/intriguing.

15. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    https://www.skysports.com/football/...boisterous-in-wake-of-jose-mourinho-departure

some players have denied this but i don't blame them. the idiot was actively trying to create a gloomy working environment

16. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to hear Ole in his post match interview today that the goal is still Top 4. Will be very difficult obviously but it's worth giving a try:never know what can happen ahead of us.
    And as previously mentioned, you can see that he believes it and it's not just lip service on his part. Sure he's aware that the pressure is somewhat minimal, but he does not plan to coast and will give it his absolute best to get the best results possible.
    That type of behavior will trickle down to the players, no doubt. We've already seen a glimpse of it today.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More evidence of the regression of football coverage in the US this season, with none of the FA Cup games being shown on tv this weekend, by the looks of it.
    FOX used to carry them, but no trace of it on their network (or anywhere else for that matter).

20. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You guys need to check out ESPN+. It fills in the gaps left by Fox and of course it does nothing to deal with NBC’s deteriorating coverage of the EPL, but offers a lot for $5 per month. And you can watch the action on your mobile device.

The days of mix and match streaming services are here to stay, fellow reprobates. If NBC Gold was more comprehensive and added another sport like rugby I’d pick that up too, but for what it offers 50 dollars a year is a ripoff.

Get MUTV as well.

NBC has a cool show featuring Neville and Henry right now. A shame their broadcasting has become so patchy in the last year or two.

21. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Espn plus is our only legal option.

Smfh

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least, it will be shown there, which is still something. Even though it's BS, ESPN+ is worth getting because it does make up, in some way, for alot of what was lost.
    Losing BeinSports has been a big blow in terms of football's coverage here. Still a bit salty about that tbph...

benni... and Deadtigers repped this.
  23. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I am more bummed out no coverage for the Asian cup in the US except on One1World sports channel.

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I just got rid of cable for YouTube TV so I might be able to justify getting ESPN+ now. It seems like cutting the cord is finally becoming a viable option without losing too much.

johno, Deadtigers and jeff070 repped this.
  25. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Best decision of my life was getting rid of cable. I feel like I am in control. I was paying close to 100 bucks and not getting everything.

Now I split the costs with other family members for Fubo/ESPN+/DirectvNOW all I am paying is 50 some bucks.

I also got MUTV.

Now BR is another story.