News: The 2018/19 Season Preview, Discussion & Review Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    You might have been saying that tongue in cheek, but...

I don't think LvG would have been successful.

I think we'd be in a much better position as a club to rise to success.

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    LvG wasn't going to be around long enough anyway given his age.

he at least got us back on the board with a trophy but he was never going to execute and see through a long term plan to usher in a new era of success

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #403 Ashur, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    AP's goal vs Soton has won Goal of the Season.

And Shaw has won the Player of the Year award.
    [​IMG]

4. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He deserves it only because this board wrote him off, every single person wrote him off, career ending injury come back, got better as the season went on. He is going to make mistakes, and those mistakes are magnified at this club. But but, he has done really well from a year or two ago.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Only the Express, but could imagine there is an element of truth in this given the differences in wages.

Didn't realise that both Pogs and Sanchez get extra for goals & assists - supposedly 75k/25k per goal/assist for Sanchez and 50k/20k for Pogs.

In theory such incentives should be beneficial, but judging on results and team morale then probably not. For example if Lukaku getting nothing for goals / assists and Sanchez / Pogs getting paid more for a goal than Rashford gets per week (45k) then not gonna help.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...news-Paul-Pogba-Alexis-Sanchez-Premier-League

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To think this season started with Ed telling Mou he didn't need any CBs as all his targets were not as good as what we had ....

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Before any player or manager, the guy I blame the most and want gone the most for six years of failure is this guy;

[​IMG]

Deadtigers and Anonymous_United repped this.
  9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thus ends the worst season I've ever endured as a United supporter.

Our future is as bleak as it's ever been. This summer will be interesting but I don't have much faith they'll do the right things to get us back on the right track.

10. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The way things roll at United, they will make their transfer business and then hire their doorstop Athletic Director or whatever instead of the other way around.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Does not bode well for next season until quite a few things change big time. And eventhough Ole's overall record since he took over was still not all that bad, the last 2-3 months, we've clearly shown relegation type form. And eventhough there may be circumstances behind it, it still can not be ignored either (the end of our season has been as bad a sustained period as any in the past 6yrs since SAF left)

12. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's not wrong.

jeff070 repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #414 Ashur, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    He just could not wait to be proven right. But then again, conveniently omits or forgets his part in how things went down. Because bottom line, he definitely has to share responsibility for what happened (he was correct to a certain extent, but it also was definitely not all there is either). Anything else is just revisionist BS and going further, he just never should have been hired as he never was a right fit for United...

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ems-down-to-players-organisation-and-ambition

15. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    He is correct in that the problems he highlighted are still there, and utterly wrong if he thinks he wasn't the architect or that signing Ivan ********ing Perisic (who has been guilty of exactly the same behaviour at Inter) or Harry Maguire would have solved anything. He's acting smug because we haven't yet been able to clean up his mess.

16. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Looking ahead to next season, which would you say is more likely - we finish inside the top 4, or outside the top 6? Obviously much is still to be determined by our transfer business this summer, but I can't say I feel very confident at the moment.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Finish outside the top 6. Well let talent go and replace them with hard working tall shitty players like Matic.

18. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Did you skip your morning blunt Benni? You seem grumpier than usual today. Or at least more vocal.

19. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I dont wake and bake anymore. Maybe I should for the duration of the transfer window.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Some interesting points and insight shared by Winter.

21. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Jose’s second place finish was at least competitive, I would give him that. But United were so off from the top.

The club has issues but he was one of them. The fact that the board thought he could stabilize the team when his last two posts imploded. And it will happen to him again.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second part of the Henry Winter interview.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the challenge Ole (and United) are facing this summer.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...solskjaer-face-crucial-challenges-this-summer

I guess it can argued that it feels like we're at the edge of a cliff. And while there is no doubt that our current predicament is pretty bad, I prefer to see it as being at a crossroads.
    Our margin for error is close to zero at this point, and it's time for us to start making consistently some right moves, whether it's in terms of our transfer business, but also how we plan on restructuring the club in general.
    And as previously stated, the way I'm dealing for what's ahead is that I've accepted it's not going to be a quick or easy fix anymore. That's done and instead, it will be probably 3yrs minimum (and several positive transfer windows) before we get where we want to be (ie at the level of City or Pool).
    The good news at least is that it looks like Ole will have lots of money to spend, but above all, it's vital at the end of the summer that we get the feeling that we are looking towards the dawn in some way. And hoping that the club will have something to announce in terms of a move very soon, now that the window if officially open, as a sign of good faith that it will be a positive summer. We shall see...

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yay for that (and garlic which apparently is part of the secret for our wonderful pitch)...

jnielsen repped this.
  25. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Our pitch may be " wonderful ", but it drove me crazy how many of our players were losing their footing in the last few home games.