The 2017 MLS TV Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KCbus, Mar 6, 2017.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UDN?

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Udn for Dallas and galavision for Vancouver

ceezmad repped this.
  3. NeilB

NeilB Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Mount Kisco, NY
    For a ratings comparison with another league:

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/04/16/lebron-james-espn-bill-simmons-grantland-what-if

UCFWayne and GunnerJacket repped this.
  4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Think you have to reference the full figures, though, which show that the NHL can lure 1.2+M on NBC. But still, that is intriguing and suggests MLS is within (almost) touching distance of the NHL's cable numbers, which would be saying something as the league looks to build their value. No where near the volume of content as the NHL, but the potential would be there to have comparable opportunities on the main over-the-air networks, however.

If these figures hold or get better, I'd say it means MLS could land a deal about half of the NHL contract next go round.

Mr.Bill repped this.
  5. NeilB

NeilB Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Mount Kisco, NY
    I wonder how much the respective time slots affect the ratings. The potential audience for a weekend afternoon MLS game is going to smaller for a weekday prime time NHL game.

6. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Based on what? The NHL has so much more commercial time during their games. An NHL broadcast is worth far more than an MLS broadcast at the same ratings.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To be sure time slots are a factor, but there's value in filling a content void, as well, and that still exists on many weekends.

Yes, hockey games have more commercial time but also typically run longer as a broadcast. Plus MLS has wider appeal among Spanish-language broadcasters and has at least part of its season without competition from the other leagues save MLB.

But the main thing, to me, is that the NHL deal isn't, comparably speaking, all that big to begin with. Last I saw it was about $600M annually (from about early last year), whereas MLS is raking in <$90M. Since the new media deals MLS TV ratings have improved and the league has expanded into more markets, which not only increases probable exposure but also broadcast options.

Regardless of whether or not the NHL is being underpaid (it is), it's safe to say that average NHL cable telecasts at around 330k are not 8x the viewership for MLS. Fair enough, MLS broadcasts on Fox likely aren't nearing NHL numbers on NBC, either, but based on payments for the World Cup and other soccer leagues and events the sport is still on a strong upswing. Thus, it stands to reason that MLS will earn more from their next media deals and I don't think $300M is out of reach in that regard. Given the relatively paltry amount that would still yield on a per team basis I'm sure MLS will be asking for more than that.

Granted, NHL teams have much, much stronger local TV deals and sponsorship deals, etc. The league as a whole sees total revenues near the $4B range, IIRC. MLS? Not so much.

UCFWayne repped this.
  8. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also as has been pointed out before, many NBCSN NHL games are blacked out in the local markets. I'd like to see what their average is for their national exclusive games.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets remember that SUM bundles MLS + some NT games, so the ratings that the NT gets for friendly games are part of the equation.

10. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As TV and digital viewing habits evolve, MLS looks to stay ahead of the curve
    Read
    - FourFourTwo
    World Soccer Talk misread the numbers? You don't say....

Otherwise, firm numbers about the increases.

11. NeilB

NeilB Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Mount Kisco, NY
  12. ukraine76

ukraine76 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have a number for Orlando-LA on Saturday?

13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen an actual number, but it must be out there somewhere and I don't think it is "good". I've seen a couple of tweets about the game being beat by the EPL game on NBCSN and the La Liga game on BeIN.

ukraine76 repped this.
  14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    That's... disastrous for a broadcast channel... Did it beat the Bundesliga lead-in?

15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bundesliga match you mention is from 2016. It doesn't have the 2017 match. However, they do say they only include numbers with a rating of 300k or higher, so maybe the Bundesliga game didn't get over 300k?

18. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry! Should've read that more carefully, but - yes - I think you can make that assumption.

19. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    It is year to date growth. Rather than looking at last seasons average and compare it to the average so far this year, they are looking at this far into the season from last year and compare it to this year.

20. ukraine76

ukraine76 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such a shame! It was a great match too. Was hoping for a much better number. Shows how much pure hatred there is still for MLS among soccer fans. So much more to relate to for a US-based fan in Orlando-LA as opposed to Shalke-Bayern that doesn't even carry any meaning for the teams involved at this point of the season given their respective positions.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shalke is safe from the drop?

22. ukraine76

ukraine76 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right. I didn't realize that they were not out of the woods yet (pretty certain they will not get relegated). However, it doesn't change the theme? How many fans in US are going to care whether Shalke gets relegated or not???

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure hatred is the right answer? Since MLS isn't very popular, it requires a stronger lead-in to lift its rating above a certain number. If it is safe to assume that the Bundesliga game got less than 300k, that's a rather weak lead-in and the Bundesliga had already driven off Fox's viewers by the time the MLS game started.

Kejsare and Stupid_American repped this.
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe only Jermaine Jones.

Dude has a big family, maybe they all have their own nelisen TV ;)

ukraine76 repped this.
  25. ukraine76

ukraine76 Member

Feb 8, 2001
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you interact with a lot of soccer fans or follow facebook comments on let's say Fox Soccer you will see lots of hatred. Like "this league is much worse than ANY league in Europe", "this is not soccer", "Schweinsteiger plays against high school players now", etc., etc.