News: The 2017/18 Season Preview, Discussion & Review Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    * looks at squad * ... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gilma1990, SyedZada and sdotsom repped this.
  3. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Inclined to say we won't challenge for the Prem either. We haven't added enough goals and creativity to this team. Essentially the only potential big jump from last year to this is Lukaku not only scoring 25 but also somehow being enough of a link to boost goals from Mkhi Martial Lingard and Rash. Marouane Fellaini is still a significant piece of our midfield. All you need to know. Unless we get the CM and winger, and good ones, not just Matic and Perisic, I personally don't think we'll be higher than 3rd.

4. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Let's stipulate to the Lukaku 17/18 = Ibra 16/17 argument, although all evidence tells us that Lukaku 16/17 > Ibra 16/17. If the dominoes fall in line, we'll have Ibra in January as a backup to Lukaku and I hope we can all agree that Ibra 17/18 > Rashford 16/17, when he was Ibra's backup.

And Rashford 17/18 will clearly be > to Rashford 16/17, right? Right. Probably by some distance, possibly to the point where we're shaking our heads at our good fortune in having such a player.

Early days, but Miki 17/18 already looks miles ahead of a very meh Miki 16/17.

The jury is out on Martial. For all we know, we might be selling him. I'm down on him right now, but events can turn quickly and he could be proving himself to be the world class forward we all thought he'd be after he scored that goal against Liverpool. And he brilliant;y beat 4 defenders to set up Lingard a few days ago in the brutal heat in Santa Clara.

But it also seems very likely that Pogba will play in a more advanced role, which at least to me suggest he'll be more heavily involved in scoring chances. However you look at it, Pogba 17/18 > Pogba 16/17.

That might not be enough to win a prem trophy but there's every reason believe that Lukaku/Rashford/Miki/Martial/Pogba in 17/18 will be a more serious attacking threat than Ibra/Rashford/Miki/Marial/Pogba in 16/17.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Said it before and I still believe it, I think the notion that we have a poor squad is vastly overstated. We definitely could use a couple of key additions, but we should be equipped enough to make a serious run at least for the title.
    Our biggest problem last season was upfront and winning games at home. And the problem and vital points lost were due to very poor chances conversion and not in creating them (an area where we did very very well if I recall).
    It stands to reason that if we managed to finish more of our chances, we'll score more and register more wins. It's ABC really, therefore we have a solid chance this season, especially with. No one bar City really who have significantly strengthened themselves so far. And among our direct rivals, every one of them will be involved in European competition and none get a free ride unlike the past couple of seasons where the eventual champs benefited greatly of playing one game/wk almost throughout the season.

6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  7. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Very well put, amigo.

It mostly comes down to finishing our chances. Lukaku is a reliable finisher but the point others have made that we've simply swapped one finisher for another is a reasonable one, but it can't be stressed enough that Martial is coming off a horror season which none of us reprobates expects him to repeat this season. Rashford will be a better player. Miki is also coming off a relatively poor season but so far has looked fantastic in our pre-season matches.

We need to be worried about Chelsea and City and they need to worried about United.

8. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I dont think Lingard even has 10 league goals in his career to count him as a goal source.

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With our current squad, we won't challenge for the title unless Miki and/or Martial have a giant year. There's no enough creativity or penetration and the midfield isn't dominant enough to make-up for it.

sdotsom repped this.
  10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We would have challenged for the title last year if we scored half our big changes against minnows.

I don't think we are favourites, but I expect us to be in with a shout.

11. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it stands, (if we don't win it) I'm pulling for Tottenham to get the monkey off their back. Then us and Arsenal finishing just behind, as the latter don't have Europe to worry about.

Still not too concerned with Liverpool. Man City have sold a lot of their experienced players and still don't know whats going to happen with Aguero. Chelsea will be left to balance several competitions without their supreme leader in Terry, Costa is in the doghouse, and Hazard is coming back from injury.

12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Arsenal have UEL football

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doi. For some reason I thought they had missed it. Hmm, that may make things even more difficult for them then.

14. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I have to say I am less excited about the upcoming season than I was at this point last year. Last year we had a new manager with Zlatan, Pogba, Mkhitaryan coming in and solid-looking midfielders like Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin. Also was looking forward to second seasons of young Martial and Rashford.

Now Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Depay, Januzai, Rooney and Zlatan are gone and we've brought in just Lukaku and Lindelof. Not very inspiring. I know the first 4 on that list didn't play any part in our season last year but still were not replaced and I feel like out squad if threadbare especially in midfield.

Hopefully the likes of TFM, Tuanzebe and AP will get the chance to step up.

sdotsom repped this.
  15. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We're all desperate for big names coming in, but sometimes we need see to beyond summer transfer activity to assess whether we'll be in a position to be successful next season.

After all, there's no guarantee that new players with massive reputations = big success. Exhibit A? Di Maria and Falcao.

The likes of Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe and Pereira will all be given a chance to step up, no question about it. We've already seen Mourinho give Rashford his vote of confidence.

We've cleaned out some of the dead wood, although Fellaini remains. One of the four players we brought in last season, Eric Bailly, easily looks like EPL XI material. Two of the other players we brought in last season, Paul Pogab and Henrich Mikhtaryan, look poised to significantly raise their game this season. And the other, Ibra, seems very likely to rejoin the squad in January.

We're really almost there in terms of challenging for the EPL trophy, but we need a proven holding mid to free up Pogba and Herrera and give us the flexibility we need to beat small clubs and big clubs alike.

Resist the temptation to fall into despair before the first whistle!

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Unfortunately BS and MS never looked MUQ. Mkhi was barelyMUQ last year, same for Martial.

If Mkhi can be better this season and JM understands better how to use him, I think our team will do much better than last season. I also expect to see more fromMartial and Pogba this season. Pogba is going to have more room to run into and more targets to hit without Zlatan's statue playing CF.

17. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. I expect Martial and Miki to significantly improve from last season. And if/when we bring in a proper holding mid that's going to free up Pogba to do his best work.

18. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's just racist. Absolutely no similarity to their games.

Deadtigers, Futbol_Head and JC7rox repped this.
  20. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I also think Lukaku will have a bigger impact on the team than people are giving him credit for. He's not perfect, but he'll make our counterattack much more dynamic, finish off chances, and not drop deep and get in everyone's way.

Deadtigers and johno repped this.
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Nope.

23. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pretty hilarious reading here from many of the same posters who thought we were still in the top four hunt in December.

We'll see who's got what by the close of the transfer window but it's way too early to write off our chances of bringing home the EPL trophy.

We've removed some deadwood and added a badly needed striker as well as a proven holding mid. Whether anyone here likes it or not, we're a pretty good bet for the trophy.

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Johno calling something racist? Well I never...

;)

25. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Mizzou downplaying possible racism? [emoji79]

johno and MizzouMUFC repped this.