The 2017/18 Coaches On The Hotseat (or should be) thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Nov 7, 2017.

1. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    fknbuflobo repped this.
  2. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    CaptainD, OverseasView and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  3. SydneyFan11

SydneyFan11 Member

Apr 13, 2012
    OverseasView, CaptainD and ThePonchat repped this.
  4. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penn State job will be interesting! Biggest job on the board right now.

5. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    I'd go way past Dave Brandt and his exceptional Messiah but mediocre Navy experience and look at Denver's Jamie Franks ..

6. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Anyone out there with Penn State Ties that would be good ?

7. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drexel needs a change. Hot seat?

8. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I have a couple of ideas, but no comment ... other that to say that I myself have a few of these ties ... ;-) [​IMG]

JoeSoccerFan and OverseasView repped this.
  9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I hear that it chokes... in big games. :eek::D:laugh::ROFLMAO::speechless:

OverseasView and bhoys repped this.
  10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Pennsylvania is the only state with teams in four of the biggest conferences in college soccer: ACC (Pitt), Big Ten (Penn State), Big East (Villanova) and American Athletic (Temple).

There's a lot of competition for the best in-state talent that wants to stay in-state.

Plus you're competing with all the schools in your respective conferences for the national talent. To win in the Keystone State, it's gonna take a coach with a proven track record of high-end success and/or a hot, young up-and-comer.

Pitt got one of those and he's done wonders in a short time. It will be interesting to see what directions Penn State and Temple go. But I will be shocked if Dave Brandt doesn't end up at one of these jobs.

11. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #36 bhoys, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    You could perhaps have a bit of a point there ... but as Springsteen knows:

" ... We're runnin' now but darlin' we will stand in time
    To face the ties that bind
    The ties that bind
    Now you can't break the ties that bind
    You can't forsake the ties that bind ..."

[​IMG]

12. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I would be surprised if Jamie Franks isn’t a target, for Penn State at least

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Jamie Franks needs to strike while the iron is still warm. It was red hot last year but after missing the tournament this year, it's cooled down some. If he has another similar year next season then it will be tough to argue he wasn't winning with another coach's players.

So best for him to leave now.

Franks is a Jersey boy so the jobs in PA put him pretty close to home.

ratmalph repped this.
  14. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't exactly call his Navy experience "mediocre." Inherited a team that wasn't very good. Had one losing season (1st one), two sub-.500 seasons in conference, and finished with 27 wins over last two seasons. He never lost a conference tournament game (2-0-2). Won the conference and finished 2nd. Last time Navy finished 2nd was 1999 and last time they won was 1991. They have completely fallen off the charts since Brandt left -- 5 wins and 2 wins in the seasons since. Tough place to win, and it's shown. I'd say his success was better than mediocre, even if his winning percentage is .565.

fknbuflobo and TimB4Last repped this.
  15. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Made the playoffs three times in 7 years with one championship. Never lost a game because they only qualified three times. how about slightly above average ..

16. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #41 bhoys, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Navy is an interesting place for a college soccer coach ... seemingly there should be some advantage in terms of recruiting in that all your players are Midshipmen in the US Navy, and thus do not pay any tuition or any other costs for attending the Naval Academy, and Midshipmen actually get a small salary as sailors in the Navy. Of course, there is also a disadvantage in terms of having to recruit players that are willing to commit to 5 years of service in the US Military after graduating from Navy, and thus likely precluding any pro soccer possibilities (unless you allowed to follow in Joe Greenspan's footsteps -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Greenspan -- which has happened for a Navy soccer player just once, i.e., in Greenspan's case, as far as I know).

Virginian repped this.
  17. familyfirst

familyfirst Member

Newcastle United
    Norway
    Aug 7, 2017
    I agree with brandt to one of the 2. Indiana Assistant Brian Maissonneuve should be in conversation for Penn State job.

18. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd venture to say that is way above average compared to many coaches in college, especially those at a service academy. I get what you are saying, but it's not like conference championships are easy to get and a national tournament is easy too. At Navy, it's been even harder, or there'd be more 1st/2nd place finishes in conference in last 25+ years.

19. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    I think the IU assistant is probably not going anywhere. You would think he would have left already for some pretty good jobs over the years. I agree he would be a great fit. How about Andy Fleming ?

20. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Maybe Marlon at WVU, Aidan Heany from Wilmington all former Penn Starter's, Gorman from Albany has had a couple good years

21. thisisstupid

thisisstupid Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Brandt would be a good fit coming with a lot of PA connections.
    Bo Oshiniyi was at Penn State before ETSU.
    UVA Associate Head Coach Matt Chulis has proven success and should be ready to take over a position like this.
    Duke Associate Head Coach Michael Brady.

Speaking of Duke connections...Jay Heaps?

22. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Erik Ronning at Colgate has five Championships in the last 11 years and Brendon Nash has four championships in the last 12 in the same league....and as of today each has won games in the NCAA Tournament. :)

23. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Caleb Porter???

fknbuflobo repped this.
  24. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for them. 2 coaches out of 200 in DI men’s soccer. Neither are at schools like Navy.

25. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Penn State job filled ! Caleb Porter