The 2017/18 Coaches On The Hotseat (or should be) thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Nov 7, 2017.

1. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Paul is a great coach and OSU would be lucky to land him, but I think he is happy at Butler. And I might throw up if he ends up coaching in Columbus.

2. Dr_Soccer17

Dr_Soccer17 New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Caleb Porter, HA!

That guy wants to be the first American to coach in the champions league, or get the USMNT job.

He's so arrogant he'd laugh Gene Smith off the phone. Yeah, its worth a shot to at least call, but I'd bet he has no interest in coaching 18-22 year olds that aren't good enough to play pro in the US.

Wishful thinking, but that ain't happening.

3. I Love the game

Jun 20, 2005
    A lot of the kids he brought in to Akron went Pro because he recruited the national team kids. The difference today I'll admit is most of them just go Pro right off the bat but he was a killer in convincing them to come play at Akron. I heard when he found out one of his commits had decided to go pro instead, he got on a plane right then and there and flew to see the kid to talk to him and got him anyway.
    You never know if he is tired and done with MLS ways and had so much success in college and prefers that atmosphere. Money talks too of course. He certainly knows Ohio and of course even more the national recruiting scene. Call him.

4. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good list. Franks, Snape and Wiseman jump out at me as most interesting. Mais might be a good one too. He had his Crew days so knows the city. Thought I saw Brandt landed somewhere this week - East coast school.

5. dolphinscoach

dolphinscoach Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Bellevue, NE
    The flip side of this may be that Embick is a bigger fish in the Akron pond than he would be at OSU. I remember reports that one of the factors that sparked Elmar Bolowich's interest to leave North Carolina for Creighton is that, at UNC, soccer was below basketball, football, etc., etc., etc., in the pecking order - whereas it is near the top of the list at Creighton and is THE major fall sport on campus. I don't know Coach Embick, his priorities and what he values, so the Bolowich example may or may not be relevant.

Also, I have heard that some of players who select Creighton like being recognized on campus. (We don't have American football, so there is less competition for attention.) This would not matter to all recruits, certainly. Would this make it easier to appeal to more MLS-level talent at Akron than at OSU? Asked another way: How different is recruiting to an Akron/Creighton type of program, where a player may be a BMOC, than to an OSU, where football players are BMOC?

All of which is to say: I can see reasons why a coach would stay at a smaller (overall) school with a stronger soccer culture.

6. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Some kids prefer smaller colleges, city vs country, academic programs, many reasons why different colleges are the right choice for different kids. Nothing wrong with that.

For me, Creighton has a sensational facility, but the travel would be killer. Even the local matches excluding UNO is a long bus trip (Drake, UMKC, SLU)

7. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, posted just below the coach list.

Brandt went to DIII Hope College in Michigan, not quite east coast.

8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ETSU will be announcing soon.

9. familyfirst

familyfirst Member

Newcastle United
    Norway
    Aug 7, 2017
    Rumor: ETSU to hire Kentucky's Casper....

ThePonchat repped this.
  10. tartSoccerFan

tartSoccerFan Member

United States
    Feb 23, 2018
  11. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done deal - announced by ETSU and UK

12. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    It happened ... Bob Warming back on the sidelines ... http://www.omaha.com/uno/soccer/uno...cle_1204f4b3-41b4-55ba-948d-47ca1df554b5.html

http://omavs.com/news/2018/4/1/warming-named-next-omaha-mens-soccer-head-coach.aspx

[​IMG]

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    #265 Sandon Mibut, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Kinda lends credence to the notion that he didn't actually "retire" from Penn State but was nudged out.

I mean, who voluntarily leaves a gig in one of your sport's top conferences at one of the best known athletic department's in the world with a rich recruiting base to go to a mid-major program that isn't even the top program in the town it's in?

I mean obviously the Omaha job wasn't open when Warming "retired" and he also has ties to the area, but if he wanted to keep coaching, he wouldn't have left Penn State voluntarily.

15. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all our conversation about how College Soccer is losing its overall relevance, several very large schools are waving goodbye to the status quo. Our conversation is certainly justified, but there is more than one factor trending in this complex dynamic.

OverseasView and catfish9 repped this.
  16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Updated list....

DARTMOUTH - Chad Riley, resigned; Bo Oshoniyi, East Tennessee head coach.

DePAUL – Craig Blazer, asked not to return; Mark Plotkin, Colgate assistant.

EAST TENNESSEE STATE - Bo Oshoniyi, resigned; David Casper, Kentucky assistant.

GONZAGA – Einar Thorarinsson, retired; Paul Meehan, assistant coach promoted.

NOTRE DAME – Bobby Clark, retired; Chad Riley, Dartmouth head coach.

OHIO STATE - John Bluem, retired; ???

OMAHA – Jason Mims, left for Colorado Rapids academy; Bob Warming, out of "retirement."

OREGON STATE – Steve Simmons, contract not renewed; Terry Boss, Virginia assistant.

PENN - Rudi Fuller, moved to administration; Brian Gill, assistant coach promoted.

PENN STATE – Bob Warming, "retired;" Jeff Cook, Philadelphia Union academy coach.

St. FRANCIS (PA) – Paulo Neto, not sure what happened; Frank Olszewski, Davis & Elkins head coach

SAINT LOUIS – Mike McGinty, contract not renewed; Kevin Kalish, local youth coach

SAN DIEGO – Seamus McFadden, retired; Brian Quinn, assistant coach, promoted.

SETON HALL – Gerson Echeverry, resigned; Andreas Lindberg, CW Post head coach.

STETSON - Kyle Gookins, resigned; Cristian Neagu, UNC assistant coach.

TEMPLE – Dave MacWilliams, contract not renewed; Brian Rowland, Maryland assistant.

So that's 15 hires and one left to go. Will be interesting to see if Ohio State's hire will create another vacancy and if there's a head coaching ripple effect from there. Getting awfully late in the year for a new coach.

OverseasView and fknbuflobo repped this.
  17. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Jason went to the RSL academy. I get those 2 Rocky Mountain clubs confused at times - partly with the numerous trades through the years.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    They're all the same. :eek:

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  19. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely been some interesting names coming through the rumor mill.

20. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Here is what Coach Bob Warming shared publicly on his Facebook page about his decision to retire, and then un-retire to take the UNO job:

"Well...I guess two months of retirement was long enough! When we found out our daughter Bess was pregnant, Cindy decided that moving to Omaha to help and enjoy our first grandchild was where she needed to be. I had recently signed a new long term contract at Penn State. I still loved coaching...but... after I held our Willa for the first time in October I realized I valued watching her grow up more than the profession I loved. I was instantly at peace with the idea of retiring. Today, I was so fortunate begin doing both.. I succeed a former player of mine, Jason Mims, a great coach and man. Its crazy, I started my career because my college coach helped me get a job at Berry College. We went to the NAIA Championship for the first time and I got offered the job at UNC Charlotte. The administration at Berry asked me who should succeed me. I told them my top choice was my former college head coach. He took the job and has been at Berry ever since. Life is wonderful. I am thankful."

Warming makes similar remarks in this press conference at UNO. Press conference also includes some interesting remarks from former UNO head coach Jason Mims, and from UNO's athletic director:

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So depending on how you look at it, Omaha either hired one of the few active coaches to have made two College Cups, or, hired a guy who has been a D-I head coach for 34 years and only made it to the College Cup twice and never won a national title. (Every current coach that's won a national title has been coaching far less in D-I.)

Here are the current D-I head coaches who have been to two or more College Cups and how long they've been coaching in D-I.

Sasho Cirovski, 91-present – 8 (Maryland 98, 02, 03, 04, 05, 08, 12, 13)
    Elmar Bolowich, 88-present – 6 (North Carolina 01, 08, 09, 10; Creighton 11, 12)
    George Gelnovatch, 96-Present – 5 (Virginia 97, 06, 09, 13, 14)
    Jeremy Gunn, 07-present – 4 (Charlotte 11; Stanford 15, 16, 17)
    Jay Vidovich, 94-14; 16-present – 4 (Wake Forest 06, 07, 08, 09)
    Dave Masur, 91-present – 4 (St. John’s 96, 01, 03, 08)
    Carlos Somoano, 11-present – 3 (North Carolina 2011, 16, 17)
    Jorge Salcedo, 03-present – 3 (UCLA 06, 11, 14)
    Schellas Hyndmann, 81-07; 15-present – 3 (Eastern Illinois 81; Southern Methodist 00, 05)

Todd Yeagley, 09-present – 2 (Indiana 12, 17)
    Tim Vom Steeg, 99-Present – 2 (UC Santa Barbara 04, 06)
    Ray Reid, 97-present – 2 (Connecticut 99, 00)
    Jared Embick, 13-present – 2 (Akron 15, 17)
    Jeremy Fishbein, 02-present (New Mexico 05, 13)
    Bob Warming, 82-88; 90-94; 96-present – 2 (Saint Louis 97; Creighton 02)
    Mark Berson, 77-present – 2 (South Carolina 88, 93)

22. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who ya hearing?

I'm sure Caleb Porter is #1 wish. But won't likely happen.

23. BethanyB

BethanyB New Member

Yavapai College
    Guam
    Apr 4, 2018
    Just in -- Ohio State has hired Bruce Arena, wow.

OverseasView and CaptainD repped this.
  24. Dr_Soccer17

Dr_Soccer17 New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    They finally got a guy that will turn the program into a college soccer powerhouse! Great for US Soccer