The 2017/18 Coaches On The Hotseat (or should be) thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Feel free to add others, and why.

COACH, SCHOOL (2017 RECORD; CURRENT RPI) – RECENT NCAA TOURNAMENT APPEARANCES

Jorge Salcedo, UCLA (7-9-1; 37) – Missed NCAA Tournament for first time since 82 and had first losing season in program history.

Mike McGinty, Saint Louis (7-9-1; 50) – two NCAA appearances the last eight seasons, most recently in 2014.

*Dave Masur, St. John’s (9-6-3; 63) – no NCAA tournament appearances the past four seasons.

Pat Laughlin, Brown (8-5-3; 71) – no NCAA tournament appearances the past five seasons.

*Ray Reid, Connecticut (8-7-2; 76) – one NCAA tournament appearance (2015) the past four seasons.

Mark Berson, South Carolina (6-8-2; 81) – two NCAA tournament appearances the past 6 seasons, last in 2016

Bob Warming, Penn State (5-9-2; 100) – one NCAA appearances the past seven seasons, most recently in 2014.

Steve Simmons, Oregon State (6-11-0; 118) – Once NCAA tournament appearance (2014) the past 14 seasons.

Dan Donigan, Rutgers (4-13-1; 132) – one NCAA tournament appearance the past six seasons.

*Tim Vom Steeg, UC Santa Barbara (6-8-5; 139) – two NCAA tournament appearances the past six seasons, last in 2015.

Jim Barlow, Princeton (6-6-4; 143) – No NCAA tournament appearances the past eight seasons

Lev Kirshner, San Diego State (5-13-9; 159) – one NCAA tournament appearance (2016) the past 11 seasons.

Cam Rast, Santa Clara (2-13-1; 161) – two NCAA appearances the past 10 seasons, last in 2015.

2. SBZipfan

SBZipfan Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I can't imagine that Vom Steeg is in any danger (but I have no actual info, inside or otherwise).

fknbuflobo repped this.
  3. familyfirst

familyfirst Member

Newcastle United
    Norway
    Aug 7, 2017
    Not sure if I agree with some of these. Especially Dave Masur... has 401 wins and Finished 3rd in Big East this season. St. John's are also playing in the Big East Semi-Finals.. Has wins over Creighton, Georgetown, Temple, Xavier, Santa Barbara this season, etc.. Ray Reid is another..

4. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Paul Krumpe - LMU

Dismal 4-11-2 record thus far this season.

Last tournament appearance and conference championship was in 2013.

Four tournament appearances and two conference championships (one of which was a co-championship)

Not a great body of accomplishments given a tenure of 19 years.

Classic case of a blind squirrel finding a nut every now and then

Personally, I hope he retains the job as if Jorge Salcedo gets canned at UCLA, it would be just the Bruins luck to have their hapless AD Guerrero hire Krumpe. (Which is not totally out of the realm of possibility imho with Guerrero's lazy hiring practices and his affinity for UCLA alums as coaches. )

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    A program like St. John's used to be a perennial Top 20 program. Now they haven't been in the NCAA Tournament for four years.

They used to crank out pros like Shalrie Joseph, Chris Wingert and Connor Lade. Now, despite being in the backyard of two MLS academies they aren't producing pros and aren't making the NCAA Tournament or even the top 50 of the RPI.

A quarter century is a long time to be in the same job. Perhaps a change would be good for St. John's.

6. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Berson, Warming, Reid and Masur will retire before they get let go !! I think their body of work over the years will keep them employed. They graduate students kids don't get in trouble. These schools don't care about soccer losing !

fknbuflobo repped this.
  7. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Reading jiggaman's comment, I was wondering whether we could list:
    a. The schools which care about soccer loosing
    b. The schools which don't care about soccer loosing.
    The inputs could give an additional perspective to the potential coach changes.
    I can start with the two programs I know:
    Pitt now is caring about soccer results and this year's results show it.
    CSUB also, especially that they do not have football: Mens BB is their leading sport, while they are also proud of some other olympic sports's results: wrestling, T&F, Womens VB. However, it is not a rich university, meaning the team's budget must be finely "optimized" (including several long plane trips).

8. familyfirst

familyfirst Member

Newcastle United
    Norway
    Aug 7, 2017
    Most of the best academy players are not going to college anymore! 200 of 206 College programs have 9.9 scholarships now! The recruiting landscape has changed. Totally agree with jiggaman123.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Look, making the NCAA Tournament is not that hard for established programs in good conferences. And that's what all the teams listed above are.

With the exception of Oregon State, everyone of those programs has been to the Final Four at least once. UCLA, Connecticut, St. John's, UCSB, Santa Clara and St. Louis have won a combined 19 NCAA titles. Penn State was a perennial national champ in the pre-NCAA Tournament days.

South Carolina, Rutgers and San Diego State are former national runners-up and all have produced multiple World Cup players.

Even OSU, while never making the NCAA Tournament, has produced a World Cup player and a top overall draft pick in MLS.

They all have resources and tradition and play in desirable conferences and offer good and sometimes great academics. And yet, all of them are floundering and are playing far below what their resources and past history suggest they should.

Now, I agree that for most of these bigger programs the ADs don't give a rat's ass about men's soccer and a couple of losing seasons or dry runs of not making the NCAA tournament aren't that huge a deal at a school like UConn or UCLA or even Oregon State.

But given all these schools have to offer, they should all be much better. We've seen at Pitt and other programs how much having a good coach can quickly turn things around. None of these guys have earned jobs for life and if they can't even make the NCAA Tournament any more, then perhaps they should be replaced.

It may be wishful thinking on my part but I'm of the opinion that complacency in American soccer is part of the problem and a big reason for the atmosphere that led to us missing the World Cup. More pressure on these coaches to win and develop talent might raise the stakes.

10. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to change the topic of the thread, but is this verified? No way that is true.

11. CHIII

CHIII New Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Yeah this is definitely not verified in my opinion not true. I know 6 teams that don't have their full scholarship allotment. So the chances of those being the only 6 is slim to non. Also the Ivy league schools, according to Ivy League rules, do not offer athletic scholarship. So that is 8 right there.

That being said teams might be reaching their full equivalencies through stacking athletic scholarship and other school based aid...but there are a lot of programs that do not have a full scholarship allotment.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  12. SBZipfan

SBZipfan Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Santa Barbara, CA
    That's ridiculous. It's very very hard to consistently make the NCAAs, now more than ever. The schools in the Power 5 have a huge advantage in resources. Of the 13 coaches on your list, just 4 are from the Power 5, and one of those, Rutgers, is a relative newcomer and not yet up to speed for that level. For the other 3 (UCLA, PSU, OSU), I think there could be a case for a coaching change.

But if all 13 of these schools made the tournament consistently, you would have to bump 13 others who currently do. Would you then argue for coaching changes at those schools?

13. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really "Power 5" in soccer since SEC doesn't offer the sport. Numerous B1G and PAC-12 schools don't offer men's soccer either.

Rutgers isn't new either. They've got a decent history of producing professional players (Dilly Duka, Nick LaBrocca, Alexi Lalas, and Peter Vermes to name a few). A quick search says there are 41ish pro players to come from Rutgers.

14. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #14 bhoys, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    ---------------

A correction:

- In Warming's 7 years at Penn State, the Nittany Lions have been to the NCAAs 3 times -- 2010, 2013, and 2014.

And some additional context:

- During Warming's tenure, PSU also won the B1G regular season title twice, in 2012 and 2013.

- In 2011 PSU went to the BIG tournament championship (lost 2-1 to Northwestern ... a PK call for Northwestern, in the second half with PSU up 1-0, still seems a bit off ... let's go to the tape:
    ), and thus PSU was pretty close to another NCAA tourney and a B1G tourney championship.

- In 2014, PSU lost their last B1G regular season game (again to Northwestern, at Northwestern, when the Wildcats scored in double OT in the 109 minute, when another minute and a tie would have given Penn State their third B1G regular season championship in a row ... again, here's the tape: ).

Would of ... should of ... could of. And if the dog didn't stop at the tree ... etc., etc. And in fairness, PSU's two B1G regular season championships in 2012 and 2013 were also by slim margins.

Fight on State.

15. SBZipfan

SBZipfan Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I meant that Rutgers was new to the Power 5, not to soccer.

It's true that many power-5 schools don't play soccer. My point that those who do have a big resource advantage. No coincidence that the rankings (RPI, polls, whatever) are top-heavy with ACC and B1G schools. (It's a down year for the Pac12 though.)

16. ksc7

ksc7 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Karlsruher SC
    JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  17. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now open:
    St. Francis University (PA)
    College of William & Mary
    Seton Hall University
    St. Louis University

jiggaman123 repped this.
  18. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    William and Mary was on the women side- head coach retired.

19. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edited for accuracy. Sorry W&M!

20. B Matth

B Matth New Member

Jan 10, 2016
  21. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
  22. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    F license -> E 6 month wait minimum -> D 12 mo wait -> C 12 mo wait -> B 12 mo wait -> A

Also, the licensing regime is changing again January 1 so we don't know what the new progression is going to look like.

23. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many years has he had a chance to go get it? He has every chance just like every other coach in the States.

24. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+