The 2006 World Cup Draw Thread

Discussion in 'Korea' started by GuruSky, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    A great draw, and good luck. Definately to the next round :)

2. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You guys beat Togo right? What was your impression Tx?

3. Kimsuyun

Kimsuyun New Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I just forgot Ahn could be made an enemy in france to:)

4. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Im very confidant that you guys can beat them. They had 2 players missing I believe (thats normal). Iran beat them without really trying, I see no chance of them defeating Korea.

5. gokorea

gokorea Member

Jun 2, 2005
    for those of you with tickets, how will you know if you'll be sitting with other korean supporters? i'm going to try to get tickets during the third phase. will there be an option to pick a country-section when i apply?

6. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    true this...

thanks TX, i hope you are a prophet :cool:

7. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    R U going thru official FIFA route (lottery), or private broker route? i will try the latter and if i succeed, i don't think there's much choice. unless there's some KOR package deals being offered, but i imagine they are charging a mint $$$.

8. cosmicbutthairs

Sep 9, 2004
    Now hear this:
    Ahn Jung Hwan will score the winning goal againest France and get booted outed of the French League!!!!

9. gatch

gatch Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Seoul and Melbourne
    Overall A pretty good draw.

France Rank 5 - I really believe we can pull an upset here. Draw or win. France are good but they havent been really convincing of late. Their performce in Euro was pretty average.
    Tongo Rank 56 - Dont know anything about these guys and I really hope we dont underestimate them. They could upset us. Since this will be our first game it will be absolutely VITAL that we get the win.
    Swiss Rank 36 - These guys are 36 in the world. However They are a strong team with good players playing all over Europe. It will be a hard game. Another game we need a win or a draw.

I really think if we dont underestimate Tongo and Swiss and we have more confidence against France we should be ok.

10. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Raymond Domenech, (FRA, coach)
    I’m reserving my judgement about this draw. I’m neither happy nor unhappy, really. The only thing that bothers me slightly is having to play Switzerland again, but I bet the Swiss coach feels the same. We know each other a little too well for my taste, and it will be like we’re still trying to qualify for this World Cup. I’m already hearing talk of this being an easy group, but I’ve got a feeling the people saying it are the same ones who thought we’d qualify at a canter. And we all saw what happened there. The four teams in this group G are on an equal footing, as we all start with zero points (smiles). The first match (editor’s note: against Switzerland) will be crucial, but so will the second and third games. All the teams will be hoping to progress.
    There are a few nice aspects about this group. Togo is a French-speaking country, and we played the Korea Republic in a friendly before the 2002 World Cup. But they’re still two teams I don’t know much about and we’ll need to do our homework. What counts is being ready on the day. If a lot of our players are involved in the finals of the Champions League and the French Cup (ed’s note: 17 May and 20 May 2006 respectively), it will definitely be beneficial to start a little later than the others (ed’s note: 13 June 2006).

11. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    FRANCE

Coach Raymond Domenech: "It's always the same thing after the draws. But until you play against the teams, you don't really know who you play.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We know the Swiss and we did not beat them during the qualifying campaign (0-0 and 1-1). South Korea is a bad memory and we don't know Togo. We remember what happened with Senegal (at the 2002 World Cup)."

SWITZERLAND

Coach Koebi Kuhn on facing France: "Obviously, I would have liked to have played against an opponent that we haven't got to known so well in last weeks and months, but on the other side it's an interesting situation.

"We know each other. Not only do we know the French but they know us. We'll see who makes the most out of that knowledge.

"South Korea had a great advantage last time to prepare for the tournament in their own country. South Korea's home advantage is no longer there."

SOUTH KOREA

Coach Dick Advocaat: "Every group is dangerous and good. But I think we have a chance to do something."

"That's the main change, playing at home in 2002 and playing away now. That can be a big disadvantage. That's what we have to find out.

TOGO

Coach Stephen Keshi: "For us it's just fantastic to be here for the first time. Compared to France, Switzerland and South Korea we're the children of the group but even France had to start somewhere."

12. Kor_Ita_21

Kor_Ita_21 Member

Aug 17, 2004
    I wasn't aware there were private brokers to go through.
    I have been unsuccessful so far with fifa.com. I want to go to a Korea game, and if not, just A game will suit me fine. Please expand on these brokers...

13. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    haha, I was thinking of that. Maybe he'll end up in La Liga next :D

14. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    well FIFA obviously wants people to buy through their route. but there are always scalpers around. there are many online sites that "say" they have official tickets, but it's pretty much buyer beware.

here's a few i'm looking into: razorgator & onlineseats

15. gatch

gatch Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Seoul and Melbourne
    My Prediction or maybe just wishful thinking ;) :D

Swiss 5pts
    Korea 5pts
    France 3pts
    Togo 1pt

Korea 1 - Togo 0
    France 1 - Swiss 1

Korea 1 - France 1
    Swiss 2 - Togo 0

Korea 2 - Swiss 2
    France 0 - Togo 0

16. dooodoool

dooodoool New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    korea will def. go to second round.
    we beat togo 2-0 very easy and without stars

17. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm pleased with the Korean draw as well. Let's hope they don't underestimate their opponents though. There's no reason why Korea shouldn't advance to the round of 16, then we can only hope for the best.

18. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Yeah, I thinkt hat sums up everyone's feelings in Korea very nicely. :)

Love that avatar btw! :D

19. KovenDreamer

KovenDreamer Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ahn should play in the Brazilian league next. ;)

20. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    It all depends on how we play. Even teams that should be topping their groups just don't show up sometimes, but I guess that's why we all love cup football.

Well at least we know the draw won't hold us back!

Can't wait!

21. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    Well, Togo doesn't look that easy if you look at their roster.
    And I'm more worried about Swiss than France.

22. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is the perfect group to hit fired up, collect confidence, and move forward.

We've played way more imposing and intimidating teams.

I'll go on the record and say Ill be disappointed if we dont make it out of this group into the final 16.

23. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    The French were never a part of our large picture. As Wutang mentioned, the Swiss could be trickier than the French but Togo sounds like trouble. But I agree with K; no need to be scared. But the French are still only but French. They're minnows.

24. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Speaking of Togo...

I still remember Mali during Athens. We just got lucky. How we came back from a 3 goal deficit is still a large unknown. Dick, Pim, and Afshin has a lot of homework..

speaking of homework...i gotta get to studying my finals. ********. Bye.

25. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    As Long as Silvestre and Thuram plays for the French, we should able to notch in about 3 goals. ;)

I agree, I was hoping if we don't get Brazil which i'm still very upset about, we would get Mexico or France. France really isn't that good of a shape considering they had to beg Zidane to come back. And We all know Henry doesn't play his best football on the international level.

I'm worried about Vonlathen's Swiss though.

Overall, i'm satisfied with this group. Just upset that we don't get to play Brazil.