The 2006 World Cup Draw Thread

Discussion in 'Korea' started by GuruSky, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Kimsuyun

Kimsuyun New Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Yeah!!! Good draw! We got a good chance to top the group!

2. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I dunno about winning the group, but we have a good chance of progressing for sure. But I guess Switzerland and Togo are probably thinking the same thing ;)

3. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul
    We got the best group possible next to Germany in terms of logic.

Once three teams were picked in each group, We are lucky to avoid group B, E and F

those were hardest group left, of course next to C which is group of death, right there next to it is Group E, that one is nasty too

so out of all the Pot 4 teams left, Korea got best possible draw, Iran's group is do-able also, Saudi's might look do-able but its harder than you think it will be

4. Hanjin

Hanjin Member+

May 18, 2004
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Man i almost had a heart attack i thought for sure we where gonna be grouped with Brazil but then i had a big huge sigh of relief when they announced Japan was in the group but yeah im reasonably happy

5. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    i concur

6. KFAARHUS

KFAARHUS New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Fantastic event, fantastic show!
    And doing some though I also agree that of all the group we COULD had joined I do see a good, reasonable chance for progress to next round.

Then I hope we again can surprise the world as last in 2002!

Listning to the German expert on ARD and the few comments from the Danish tv-channel TV2-ZULU they do not give Korea much chance.

Especially Günther Netzter from ARD almost already sees France (ofcourse??) and Schweiz to the next round.

Well, like I said, I do think do a good, and a very good chance for advance!!!

I just hope the Korean can have time enough to adjust themself to europe, weather, change of time-zone and so on...

for the many koreans (especially) adoptees living in Scandinavia this is OUR one chance to go and support our KW. (Korean Worriers!!!)

7. bumkicho

bumkicho New Member

Dec 7, 2005
    I hope we don't underestimate switzerland. They played France twice in European preliminary competition and they were neck and neck with France getting draws from both games. They also beat out Turkey in play-off.

I am not saying we'll lose to Switzerland. I just hate we always predetermine who we can win and cannot. I've already heard some commentators from Korean news saying France is better than us, but we should be able to get a win against Switzerland and Togo. Based on what? We have no idea how Togo plays and if we can play against Switzerland, we certainly can play against France as well.

Play to win at all times. That should be our only scenario!!

8. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Some quick thoughts ..

Group A - N00b beatdown. Germany and Poland should thrash Costa Rica and Ecuador. The only question is who's going to win the Blitzkrieg matchup :D

Group B - Long Ball all the way baby. All of these teams are known to play the long ball/direct ball over the top. Good if you're insomniac.

Group C - Group of Death. Everybody here can beat everybody .. except for Ivory Coast, who might spring a surprise but will generally get the smackdown.

Group D - Battle of the crybabies. Don't know about Angola, but all the other teams have plenty of crybabies/grassrollers/conspiracy theorists here on BS .. expect to see loads of rivalry threads appear overnight. Lucky Iranians .. if they don't make it through from such an easy group they'll never live it down on BS :D

Group E - Euroweenies t3h win. Expect the two european countries to make it through without too much difficulty.

Group F - Dumbest post entries flood. Prepare to see hordes of posts about Australia laying the smackdown on Brazil from the aussie n00bs. Tough for Japan and Australia .. lucky for Oz that Hiddink is our coach, anybody else and Australia would have no hope in this group. As it is I fancy them to beat Japan and draw with Croatia.

Group G - Thiery Henry vs Choe Jin-Chul :eek:. I fancy that Korea can beat Switzerland if we play right, but Togo will cause problems because of the typical African speedsters.

Group H - Shevchenko 8 - 0 Saudi Arabia :eek: I predict that will be the future trash talk on Rivalries

9. InMotion

InMotion New Member

Sep 27, 2002
    New York, NY
    All respect to Switzerland and Togo, but that was a good draw!!!

I was shItting bricks about getting drawn into Groups B, C and F. Can you imagine drawing Argentina and Netherlands? Pretty nasty stuff... I think Group A and H are the easiest (Spain lucked out, but maybe they feel that is payback; Germany certainly lucked out too), but G is probably next. Marginally better than Group D because Iran has to play both Mexico and Portugal, neither of which perhaps is France but both of which are historically better than Switzerland. I would not want to draw Group E either.

10. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Are there many of you like that in Denmark?

I know there was quite a bit of adoption from the nordic countries way back .. but my only knowledge of it is from that moving that Choi Jin-shil was in. The biographical one about an adopted child who finds her real mother through a TV program.

Must be a freudian slip :D .. we're not that negative are we. Are we?! :eek:

11. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For once Japan got stuck

12. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    yes Nippon in tough...

13. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

at church me and like 50 other youth group and college group members were watching on a laptop and when 이란 got stuck in 멕지고's (is that spelling right?) group, we were kinda pissed..but when 일본 got stuck with 브라질, we were all jumping up and down..

14. InMotion

InMotion New Member

Sep 27, 2002
    New York, NY
    I certainly am not taking any opponent lightly. Switzerland is capable of beating us, particularly if we have a defensive lapse against them. And to tell you the truth, it's going to be tough to have Henry and Trezeguet going at us being fed perfect passes from Zidane.

But I would be more stressed if we drew Argentina and Netherlands or, say, Italy and Czech Republic, or Brazil and Croatia and Australia.

15. Kimsuyun

Kimsuyun New Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I really do think we have a good chance in winning the group. France was not the powerhouse team it used to be. Togo??? Yeah maybe I shouldn't be underestimating them but cmon???? would you rather want Ghana? And as for the swiss....if they can menace the French during qualifying I think we got an equally good chance in defeating them and the French.

16. Kor_Ita_21

Kor_Ita_21 Member

Aug 17, 2004
    I don't think we're in a position to underestimate anyone. We've had a decent string of friendly results, but in the end it would be foolish to think that we "should" beat the Swiss and Togo or anyone else in the competition. We have no right, at least not yet. Any player (and there are some) who thinks otherwise are absolute fools. But the good news is that Swiss, Togo, and France also better not underestimate Korea either. Whoever goes in prepared, and fights hard will advance.

All in all, given the possibilities, we ended up with a relatively easy group. I'm hoping to face Spain in the knockout stage. That'll be a fun match. Sucks for US.

17. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    well, we don't really know how good Togo is (other than they beat Senegal to advance), and Switzerland is a good team, even though they don't have a big reputation. We can be happy that we didn't get traditionally powerful teams, but we should never discount any of our oppositions.

18. CL39

CL39 New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Don't know too much about Togo but we must take full
    3 points from our first match from them.
    We seem to have a habit not just the full senior side but
    U-23 on down to the Youth level, including the Olympics,
    that we don't start off so well, and therefore we put ourselves
    under so much pressure in the last group match in order to advance.

19. KFAARHUS

KFAARHUS New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    haha... *LOL* ... I think I meant WARRIOR!!! :D

PS: and ... ofcourse never under estemate your opponant.
    Still I think we stand a far more better chance ... btw. will there be new KT-jersey and if yes, when would they be for sale?

20. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Yes a new jersey, unveiled sometime next year (I would say available to purchase in the spring time)

I'm fairly happy with our group though, it could have been worse :D

21. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Didnt Iran beat these guys? I heard they were lucky to though.

22. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    My thoughts...

France: Well, we can't forget those 5-0 and 3-2 matches, though in the latter match we played very well. No surprise if we lose here, but with the current aging French team, if we work our asses off, we could pull off a respectable result.

Switzerland: I still remember the WYC match where we lost to them, and Senderos is a good up and coming defender. Not to mention there are lot of players like Vogel, Vonlanthen, etc that Park and Lee know very well... this matchup could go either way but if we play the way we did against Serbia, we'll do well here too cuz Switzerland isn't much better than Serbia.

Togo: With all due respect, they are everyone's target for the one of the wins, so we have no excuse not to win here. That Monaco star plays for Togo, and I heard Ahn has two teammates from Metz that plays for them too, so it won't be easy by any means, but we do have the best chance to pull off a good result against them.

In all, I'm happy with the result. Every team is reasonably beatable and I'd say we got a better draw than some of the other Asian teams.

23. InMotion

InMotion New Member

Sep 27, 2002
    New York, NY
    Simply based on the odds, if we advance as second place finisher in first round, looks probable that we face Spain in the round of 16. If we win Group G, we could face any among Spain, Ukraine, Saudi Arabia and Tunisia, but more likely one of the latter three.

24. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    on paper, i agree with all of you. BUT there are other tangibles we are forgetting. France is on the upswing w/ Z back, their morale is high presently. and the Swiss are no walkover. i don't care what we did against S&M, that was at home. and when we play France and Schweiz, it will be like a home game for them. it's an hour max by train or car, for their fans.

so all this to say, yes, nice group we're in. tough opponents, but a group that we can advance out of. BUT again, it will mean nothing if we don't learn how to win away. traditionally our weakness. i believe we'll be fighting the Swiss down to the last point to advance.

the way the French have re-organized themselves recently, they are a lock to go thru IMO. as far as Togo is concerned, whoTF was Senegal before '02?

25. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Any word from Dick? Id like to hear what the Dutchman has to say. He's got to be pleased in any event.

Id like to see him get a friendly or two customized to this grouping but I doubt its going to happen with our Euros not being able to join the squad until the beginning of summer.

Not sure what playing Mexico is going to do for us now either but hopefully, its an opportunity for our newer guys and veterans whove been away to gel on foreign soil. I wouldnt mind another match with Sweden though as I think they play a fair combination of styles matching the French and Swiss. I do think the opportunity to take France down is now. Theyre still in the process of finding themselves and them being tied by the Swiss during qualifiers doesnt impress me. Im just not impressed by the French anymore.

France is definitely an attacking side, the Swiss more neutral (no surprise), and the Togos I have no idea about other than theyre a fast and athletic team. I agree though....without knowing too much about these guys, they may be able to upset.