The 20 best USMNT prospects and stars of the future

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Eighteen Alpha, Nov 8, 2016.

1. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Robinson just needs some more experience defensively. He, naively, gets too square and to tight on the sideline depending on his pace to let him recover, instead of (a) funneling the attacker where he wants them to go and (b) giving himself some margin for error. He’ll figure it out, but this is his first experience against top level comp like Costa.

2. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, first experience at the international level at least.

He’s not the first defender to struggle with that at a young age

3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Seems like I made this post an eternity ago, but it is only 3 months. Here is how I would put the U20 (no GKs) uncapped pool today:

1. Mendez
    2. Dest
    3. Ledezma
    4. Bello
    5. Richards
    6. Reyna
    7. Llanez
    8. Soto
    9. De La Fuente
    10. Carleton
    11. Hoffman
    12. Pomykal
    13. Booth
    14. Taitague
    15. Z. Jones
    16. Gloster
    17. Durkin
    18. Scally
    19. Araujo
    20. McGann

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  4. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    So when Ryan Babel got transferred from Ajax to Liverpool while Suarez was being transferred from Groningen to Ajax that meant Babel > Suarez because Liverpool > Ajax.

That thinking is brain dead. It’s the equivalent of letting the Forbes richest club list do the thinking for oneself. Players from smaller clubs and leagues develop and surpass current starters all the time. Judging who can make that jump and why is at the heart of actual talent identification. Close mindedness is an inefficiency generator that results from the inability to process information accurately. If someone can’t do that they should admit it to themselves and make predictions with the requisite level of humility.

5. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we change this thread to the top 30 prospects? There are a lot of good names that were left off that list

ChuckMe92 and Patrick167 repped this.
  6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Many guys that should have been on the list actually have a cap or multiple caps thanks to 14 months of just calling up any youngster with a pulse. Not saying they didn't deserve it, but these guys are still young:

Sargent
    Weah
    Cannon
    Amon
    De La Torre
    Olosunde
    Carter-Vickers

And these probable starters are all 21 or under:

Pulisic
    Adams
    McKennie
    Robinson

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Here's what I'd list for the U-23's, U-20's and U-18's and below.

I rank mostly on potential. Current ability matters to some extent, but not completely. These are not finished products and not every player has the same start to their career.

U-23's:

1. Pulisic-'98
    2. McKennie-'98
    3. Palmer-Brown-'97
    4. Glad-'97
    5. Acosta-'97
    6. Wright-'98
    7. Parks-'97
    8. Cannon-'98
    9. A. Robinson-'97
    10. Carter-Vickers-'97
    11. Mihailovic-'98
    12. Trusty-'98
    13. Perez-'98
    14. Ebobisse-'97
    15. Sabbi-'97
    16. Lewis-'97
    17. Vazquez-'97
    18. Lennon-'97
    19. de la Torre-'98
    20. Fossey-'98

HM: Vom Steeg('97), Bwana('97), Zelalem('97), Olosunde('97),

U-20's:

1. Carleton-'00
    2. Sargent-'00
    3. Soto-'00
    4. Durkin-'00
    5. Pomykal-'99
    6. Adams-'99
    7. Weah-'00
    8. Richards-'00
    9. Dest-'00
    10. Amon-'99
    11. Garces-'00
    12. McKenzie-'99
    13. Gloster-'00
    14. Ledezma-'00
    15. Taitague-'00
    16. Mendez-'00
    17. Sands-'00
    18. Servania-'99
    19. B. Scott-'99
    20. Hundley-'00

HM: Lindsey('00), Rennicks('99), Goslin('00), Keita('00), Crain('00), E. Lopez('99), Muse('99), Asensio('00)

U-18 and below

1. Nyeman-'03
    2. Scally-'02
    3. de la Fuente-'01
    4. Araujo-'01
    5. Las-'02
    6. Akanyirige-'01
    6. Ocampo-Chavez-'02
    7. Booth-'01
    8. Bello-'02
    9. Rotundo-'04
    10. Reyna-'02
    11. Jonathan Gomez-'03
    12. Llanez-'01
    13. Cuevas-'03
    14. Tessman-'01
    15. Penagos-'02
    16. Duke-'01
    17. Dunbar-'02
    18. Atencio-'02
    19. Toure-'04
    20. Craig-'04

HM's: Stojanovic('01), Roberts('01), Palomino('01), Gray('02), Busio('02), Wilson('02), Pepi('03), Freeman('03)

autobus39, SCSAutism, TarHeels17 and 2 others repped this.
  8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    U-20 group is scary.

9. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this time two years ago we didn’t think the u20 group had the depth that it looks to have now so maybe the u17 group will develop the same way

10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I suppose I could put my list on here as well. But then I realized how players' performances change so much from week to week until they finally level off at a point where we have a much better read on their long term prospects.

Case in point is Haji Wright. His biggest supporter on these boards has been ussoccer97531, and he's taken some criticism (not as much as his support of Carleton, but that's a very different discussion) for sticking to his support. Meanwhile, it looked like Wright would never progress beyond the U23s. Circumstances at Schalke (injuries at F, general lack of offensive production, etc.) forced Tedesco's hand, and he started Wright against Hoffenheim, and that didn't work well, as Haji looked out of place. After that performance many thought Wright would not see the field for the 1st team again for a long time, but no, Tedesco stuck with him, and he came off the bench against Augsburg today, and actually looked OK.

What does this mean? Who knows. It can go in so many different directions. But the larger point is that Wright is still a young player, with all the ups and downs that go with that. Tedesco obviously believes he's shown enough to warrant call ups. Will this continue? Who knows.

11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    You can't write a name on the 2022 roster in pen nor bury a player at these age ranges. Wright is 20, and many already had written him off (just to use the pun probably). Altidore didn't have his breakthrough AZ season until he was 22-23. Dempsey and McBride were much older.

These kids are going to have swings in form, sometimes wild swings. That is why the sheer numbers of them is the most encouraging as things sort themselves out over the next 3-8 years.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they just have an injury crisis and Haji is getting time out of necessity. He has struggled to my eye and I’d be shocked if he stays in the lineup much. But hopefully I’ll be wrong.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fingers crossed but if Adams can crack the lineup we’ll have four Bundesliga regulars under under 21 which considering the last like twenty years of this program is an almost unbelievable cause of optimism

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Wright has always been a long-term project. People were saying this going back to his days as a U-17. He was a remarkably good youth player with incredible talent, but also incredibly raw. It's much easier to teach Wright to bring a good mentality every game or make better on-field decisions (like not being half a step offside on the offside goal from yesterday) than to teach a player without much talent to trap a long ball out of the air without it rolling away or teach them to strike the ball into the top corner with either foot.

He might never figure it out, but he's improved in the last couple of years. It doesn't matter that much if he makes it at Schalke, if he can help the NT. He's probably too raw right now to be of much help to Schalke. Give him a couple of years of development with regular game time at a good level, and he might figure it out. I think a lot misunderstand his trajectory as a footballer. He's been a big name for years and since he hasn't yet done well in the pro game they assume he won't make it, misunderstanding that it was likely going to take him a few years to figure out the pro game. He's a victim of his own talent to be able to have big success at youth level, despite being very raw.

15. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I think you underestimate two things:

1. Haji's skill level and technical ability
    2. Schalke's willingness to let a "raw" young American figure some things out on the fly

They've really got nothing to lose given their depth chart and table position, so I think he will get a fair shot. I'd say the chances are much more likely that he follows the McKennie route than the Flores route.

16. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone underrates Haji's technical abilities, it's certainly not @ussoccer97531. He's always been a big proponent of Haji being a technical player and not at all effective of using his large frame. Haji's the striker version of the golden retriever that thinks he's a lap dog.

17. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is definitely my favorite post of the day

18. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    ok, word. I was referring to the "raw" criticism, but I guess @ussoccer97531 is commenting more to lack of experience rather than lack of ability.

19. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    We have rarely had four of any age. In addition, what is most significant is that we are finally starting to get numbers of young Americans that were raised in the US. They aren't Americans developed by Germans....

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I wasn’t really counting the German raised kids.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  21. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Speaking of not writing players off, whatever happened to Marlon Foosey and Zalalem?

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Injured and returning from an injury.

STR1 repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Marlon Fossey has been recovering from significant injury.
    1067551373720473600 is not a valid tweet id

We keep hearing reports about Zelalem in training at Arsenal, but that hasn't led to anything...................

Zelalem looks great in training after 16-month injury nightmare
    http://dailycannon.com/2018/10/gedion-zelalem-injury/

Winoman and STR1 repped this.
  24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    is zelalem looking like a less athletically gifted nagbe type ceiling? a metronome without the final cutting pass?

DHC1 repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its so long since any of us have actually seen him playing 90 minute games, that its really hard to say.......................

He played 28 games for Rangers in 2015/2016, and he did play OK in those games. He withstood the physical rigors of the Scottish Championship.

It takes some reminding that athleticism was never his strongest suit anyway.