The 13th Ward

Discussion in 'The River End' started by rhythmicspeech, Aug 7, 2009.

1. rhythmicspeech

rhythmicspeech New Member

May 5, 2008
    Philly
    I heard a rumor that a firm is being started called the 13th ward. Anyone else hear of this? Anyway I'm not saying I approve or disapprove until I see what they're all about. Anyway heard it through philly hardcore scene. I don't want to see people stabbed or anything like that but a group of hardcore supporters can really get others into it and make opposing teams rue playing us at home. Ideas, thoughts? This could be bullshit but I heard that is what its called.

2. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well this is the 4th different SG that I've heard of but never actually seen. Color me unimpressed until I start seeing people showing up to things.

3. sara_laughs

sara_laughs New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SCUSE ME! It's the 5th. You're forgetting about MY firm of one. :mad: Now I'm going to have to come mess you up Bolton.

4. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen you, sillypants. But color me interested in the messing up part.

5. sara_laughs

sara_laughs New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rawr.

Oh, no wait a minute. I think you're too old. You can legally drink and you don't live with your parents.

6. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. rhythmicspeech

rhythmicspeech New Member

May 5, 2008
    Philly
    I think the story behind it is the is split into wards and the 13th is fishtown port richmond kensington area anyway, was just curious if anyone in internet land heard of it. Maybe someone saw GSH or football factory or rise of the foot soldiers one too many times and over romanticized the idea.

8. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I would personally welcome other supporters clubs. Firms, on the other hand, are stupid in the theatrical sense. I get the idea, but did anyone else notice that these "firms" that we have seen in movies have almost nothing to do with soccer?

Support your local soccer team? Encouraged
    Join a supporters club other than SoB? Go right ahead.
    Use the Union colors as an excuse for fighting and hooliganism? Forget it.

Speaking only for myself, I will be the first one to alert security at Chester Stadium to this kind of nonsense. I am a soccer fan, and I want to watch football and cheer on the Union. If I want to find an excuse to beat the crap out of unsuspecting victims, I'm not a fan, I am a criminal. Personally, I'm not going to stand for this shit. If other supporters clubs want to form, and cheer on the Union, I will stand with them and sing together, no problem. Violence in the hooligan form? Not now, not ever, not on my watch.

9. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you 100%.

10. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with everybody.

I want fans from other teams to hate coming to Chester because of our passionate, intimidating support. But I don't want them to be genuinely fearful for their physical well-being. They buy concessions too, ya know :D

11. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Googled it and all i got was stuff about new orleans. i guess i'm in the believe it when i see it catagory as well.

12. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's a firm, it's about getting drunk and fighting. That's what firms are.

If you choose to call your group a "firm" or the something-or-other "hooligans", you're telling the world what they should think about you. I hope this comes to just as much as all of the other would-be "firms" out there that have come and gone.

13. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure my opinion won't be the most popular, but I'll post it anyway.

As people have already mentioned I want people to fear coming to Chester because of the atmosphere during the match. It should be intimidating to the visiting team because of the supporters singing and cheering. It should be intimidating to visiting fans because they will not be able to cheer over top of all of the Union fans & supporters!

Once the final whistle blows, though, I actually wouldn't mind being accommodating to the visiting fans, not looking to maim them. If they are staying the night in Philly, then I'd love to invite them over to a bar to drink and hang out, and maybe catch another match on TV. Like I said, I'm sure it's not what most people would want, but, to me, being a supporter is being part of a culture, and I'm always willing to meet new people from the same culture.

"Firms," or whatever you want to call them are completely contradictory to the very idea of a supporters' culture.

14. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Popular enough with me. Repped.

15. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. This was certainly the spirit back in '96; the visiting fans were always welcome at tailgates because we were just happy that there were MLS teams with visiting fans.

16. Brain Damage

Brain Damage New Member

May 14, 2009
    Temple University
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said. As MLS fans we have our own culture then other sports and easily the most friendly group of people no matter what team they support. They will be allowed to mingle with us before and after the game (of course other friendly team bashing going back and forth).

17. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we need an extra subforum in addition to "Sons of Ben," called something like "Violent Frodos Hooligan Firm".

18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a request in for a "River End" sub-section of the Union forums where the SoB boards - and those of other SGs for that matter - will be located.

19. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I would almost like for this request to be granted, and see what organically grows there. At best, there might be new supporters that we will sing with. At worst, if said hooligans migrate there, we will know who they are...

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooooh, your name is in green now. :cool:

21. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Your fault, sunshine. Thanks again...:)

22. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on mod-dom....Now get back on the grill. :p

23. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm down with that.

24. USArsnl

USArsnl New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

fyp

I'd be more than glad to happily entertain and trade banter with opposing fans, before and after the matches. We'll be intimidating and loud and obnoxious in between, when it matters. Because hey, they're US soccer fans supporting the domestic game, just like us.

I've many times previously made my thought on hobbit kickers known. No need to rehash here. We'll police ourselves, and get rid of those who try and mar our good time by doing stupid things.

25. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing screams Europhile like a firm