Tent

Discussion in 'Referee' started by GearRef, Jun 15, 2018.

1. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, so after 3 Academy games where tents were provided for both teams but not for the officials on either 90 degree days or rainy days I have decided to purchase my own 4 pole canopy tent (think the ones at the Showcases). Considering tomorrow will be a blistering 91 at my game, I would probably bring the tent to the match for my referee crew and myself to stay cool in between halves and before/after the match. My only worry though is that teams will attempt to use it as well, which I do not want. One time I thought we had a referee only tent until the game started and the home team moved their bench and baggage under it and I had to dig out my stuff after the match while they were having their post game chat, which was awkward since I was climbing over people and player bags (and my water bottle seemed a lot lighter than it was before). I want to know how I should handle having a tent only for the refs, specially if the teams don’t have them. I want to disallow anyone besides the refs to enter it but I feel like I’d get a plea that goes something like, “the kids are hot and they want some shade” and it would make me the common enemy, which I don’t want. One thought was to put up “Referees Only” signs but people would probably ignore them. So, any helpful tips or advice on how to handle it. Should I not bring a tent at all? The car won’t be accessible, as it’s parked too far away. For reference, it is a Super Y host weekend.

2. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Don’t put it at the halfway line. The last time one of my crew brought a tent, we put it off a corner of the field on the teams side.

dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  3. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    I think a tent for crew use is reasonable and appropriate, and if teams at this level haven't got a tent of their own then let them get a new manager.

4. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Hang some unused (or maybe, used and sweaty) ref shirts from the structure to claim your territory.

IASocFan, Doug the Ref, IARef96 and 4 others repped this.
  5. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    #5 chwmy, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    How many people are you wanting shade for? If it’s just you and a a crew this might be sufficient:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003DJ4FEM/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one and used it many times- it is plenty of space for two or three and you can carry/deploy it yourself.

The square tents, if you get a good one, like ez up, are pretty heavy and putting it up/down is a two person job. They sell wall panels that can give you three sided privacy.

The cheap sub $100 deals with the splayed legs are so fragile that you have to almost look at them as disposable.

dadman repped this.
  6. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    How many people are you wanting shade for? If it’s just you and a a crew this might be sufficient:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003DJ4FEM/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one and used it many times- it is plenty of space for two or three and you can carry/deploy it yourself.

The square tents are of course the standard but the cheap ones don’t last and the decent ones

7. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some facilities don’t permit anything that requires a pole or stake in the ground due to irrigation systems. Check with your local sites before buying anything.

dadman repped this.
  8. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    you can use counter-weights to support it.

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    If there is a ready water supply, a 5 gallon bucket filled with water and attached to the center of the tent with bungee coordination is an excellent anchor.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  10. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While this is absolutely the case, some facilities (like ours) don’t allow tents of any kind, even if weights are used.

11. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    How many of us have stopped a match for a tent blowing across the field?

(Raising my hand!)

And the latest embellishment for the suburban set is custom tents with custom club logos!

I think there is a correlation between size of club logo and team suckery.

me116, MrPerfectNot and dadman repped this.
  12. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stake it down first off, if a team pulls up your stakes to move it you have much more leeway to read them the riot act.

I like the referees only idea as well